Your feelings on Perez as DNC Chair, Ellison as Deputy Chair?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:37:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Your feelings on Perez as DNC Chair, Ellison as Deputy Chair?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Poll
Question: Your feelings on Perez as DNC Chair, Ellison as Deputy Chair?
I'm a Democrat - great!
I'm a Democrat - good, not 1st choice but seems a good guy
I'm a Democrat - tolerable
I'm a Democrat - dislike
I'm a Democrat - PEREZ WILL MURDER US ALL
I'm an Independent - great!
I'm an Independent - good, not 1st choice but seems a good guy
I'm an Independent - tolerable
I'm an Independent - dislike
I'm an Independent - PEREZ WILL MURDER US ALL
I'm 3rd Party - great!
I'm 3rd Party - good, not 1st choice but seems a good guy
I'm 3rd Party - tolerable
I'm 3rd Party - dislike
I'm 3rd Party - PEREZ WILL MURDER US ALL
I'm Not American - great!
I'm Not American -  good, not 1st choice but seems a good guy
I'm Not American - tolerable
I'm Not American - dislike
I'm Not American - PEREZ WILL MURDER US ALL
I'm American but usually don't vote - great!
I'm American but usually don't vote -  good, not 1st choice but seems a good guy
I'm American but usually don't vote - tolerable
I'm American but usually don't vote - dislike
I'm American but usually don't vote - PEREZ WILL MURDER US ALL
I'm Republican - great!
I'm Republican -  good, not 1st choice but seems a good guy
I'm Republican - tolerable
I'm Republican - dislike
I'm Republican - PEREZ WILL MURDER US ALL
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your feelings on Perez as DNC Chair, Ellison as Deputy Chair?  (Read 10143 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »

For those interested...some leaked (or claims to have leaked) the DNC Chair Ballot voting list showing how each state and member voted in the first and second round:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mi9sac97q6jqf4m/AACsQeUCVB8Fvcl-dubfePKIa?dl=0

Great news! Hopefully they will be systematically targeted by the Bernie wing whenever they're up for reelection.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »

For those interested...some leaked (or claims to have leaked) the DNC Chair Ballot voting list showing how each state and member voted in the first and second round:

Great news! Hopefully they will be systematically targeted by the Bernie wing whenever they're up for reelection.

I hope they're only targeted if Perez does a poor job running the DNC. If he does an excellent job, the people who voted for him shouldn't face punishment for doing a good thing
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2017, 05:53:27 PM »

According to the WSJ write-up on the list of voters:

-Perez was supposed to win on the first ballot, but two proxy voters for DNC members that meant to vote for Perez on the first ballot forgot to sign their ballots and were deemed invalid, leading to the first ballot total of 213.5 Perez, 199 Ellison, 12 Boynton Brown, 1 Buttigieg, 0.5 Greene. 214.5 was needed to win, as per the 50% + 1 rule.

-The two proxy voters corrected their mistakes and voted Perez on the second ballot.

-Also the second ballot, ten DNC members (including two from Dems Abroad) switched from Ellison to Perez, four went from not voting to backing Perez, three switched from Perez to Ellison, and 11 switched from Boynton Brown to Ellison.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2017/03/06/vote-flub-cost-tom-perez-a-first-ballot-victory-in-dnc-chairman-race/
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »

I hope they're only targeted if Perez does a poor job running the DNC. If he does an excellent job, the people who voted for him shouldn't face punishment for doing a good thing

LOL no. This is not about Perez.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2017, 07:33:46 PM »

Why should they be punished if Perez does a great job?  With all due respect, that makes absolutely no sense.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2017, 07:37:29 PM »

I'm happy that the committee member I lobbied personally over twitter and FB voted for Ellison.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2017, 10:30:50 PM »

Why should they be punished if Perez does a great job?  With all due respect, that makes absolutely no sense.

The party needs a change in local and national leadership. If you were on the wrong side of this fight, it says something about your political judgement and benefit to the party going forward.

Perez might be a great DNC chair. But if you were part of the group of people that sabotaged the bid of someone with support from both wings of the party SOLELY because he was perceived as "the Bernie candidate" and you just hate populists that much, I think it's pretty fair to say that it's time for you to go. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2017, 10:32:16 PM »

Voting for Perez is just a symptom, it's not the ill itself.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2017, 10:40:01 PM »

The party needs a change in local and national leadership. If you were on the wrong side of this fight, it says something about your political judgement and benefit to the party going forward.

Perez might be a great DNC chair. But if you were part of the group of people that sabotaged the bid of someone with support from both wings of the party SOLELY because he was perceived as "the Bernie candidate" and you just hate populists that much, I think it's pretty fair to say that it's time for you to go. 
I do agree it boggles my mind how Chuck Schumer backs Keith yet that wasn't enough. But still the DNC chair is not a event worth killing the dems over an while many won't admit it but Perez also won because he is a "safer" choice, as ugly as it is Keith could of easily been turned into a boogeyman man
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2017, 10:49:20 PM »

I do agree it boggles my mind how Chuck Schumer backs Keith yet that wasn't enough. But still the DNC chair is not a event worth killing the dems over an while many won't admit it but Perez also won because he is a "safer" choice, as ugly as it is Keith could of easily been turned into a boogeyman man

The inconsequential nature of the DNC chairship (though I will push back on that a little bit; how the Dems raise and disburse money matters) is part of what makes it so damning though. People within the party were so petty as to deny us even *this.*

As for safe choices, I've said it before and I've said it again; the DNC chair is not a public figure. You can't fundraise off of someone your base has never heard of, and no one outside of DC/the Twin Cities would know Keith Ellison's name if he were made chair.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2017, 11:32:21 PM »

If Ellison had support from both wings of the party, he'd be DNC chair right now.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2017, 11:55:06 PM »

If Ellison had support from both wings of the party, he'd be DNC chair right now.

What wing do you put Majority Leader Schumer and Former Majority Leader Reid in, exactly?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2017, 12:01:12 AM »

Why should they be punished if Perez does a great job?  With all due respect, that makes absolutely no sense.

What wing do you put Majority Leader Schumer and Former Majority Leader Reid in, exactly?

I put Schumer in the big business wing, but he only supported Ellison b/c he knew Ellison would lose anyway.  Reid isn't really in the Bernie or Clinton wing, tbh.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #188 on: June 05, 2017, 02:16:20 AM »

What are everyone's thoughts now that it's been a few months?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #189 on: June 05, 2017, 06:28:50 AM »

Making abortion a big issue in the Omaha mayor race was clearly a genius move.

/s
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #190 on: June 05, 2017, 06:31:43 AM »

slightly better.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #191 on: June 05, 2017, 07:41:21 AM »

Too early to say, but I definitely think we are far better off with Perez than we would've been with Ellison as the official Chairman. 
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #192 on: June 05, 2017, 08:47:16 AM »

Well with the exception of MT-AL he has been fine
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #193 on: June 05, 2017, 10:22:07 PM »

Too early to say, but I definitely think we are far better off with Perez than we would've been with Ellison as the official Chairman. 

Perez has done nothing to impress, granted not much time has passed - but I am less convinced that Ellison could have made as much of a difference as I had thought that he might when the contest took place.

The Democratic Party's problems are too deeply rooted for a change of leadership to make much of a difference, and the first several months of the Trump administration have shown how many of the party's problems originate with its voter base. All that they have going for them are the savage politics of the Republican Party of 2017.

Unless something drastic happens between now and November 2018, the cultural politics of middle class urban professionals will figure heavily into that campaign. Those politics are rigid and polarizing enough that Democrats running in poor, rural and, less educated districts - even some with large non-white populations - will suffer for it.

The role of urban professionals in the Democratic coalition is becoming something like the role of the religious right in the Republican Party over the past several decades - i.e. loyal and reliable voters, who are an essential source of organizational support, but who are so culturally repellent to the rest of the country that they will scare other voters away if they are not kept in check.
How the f**k are suburbans anything like the religious right?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #194 on: June 05, 2017, 10:30:51 PM »

Perez is tolerable, but Ellison is terrible and should have no role whatsoever. I would have voted for Buttigieg for DNC chair.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #195 on: June 05, 2017, 11:06:08 PM »

How the f**k are suburbans anything like the religious right?

Suburbs? What have suburbs got to do with anything? American suburbs are extremely diverse and a large majority of votes for both parties are cast by people who live in them.
Oh sorry I misread you said urban which also raises the same question
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #196 on: June 06, 2017, 09:27:43 AM »

Perez has done nothing to impress, granted not much time has passed - but I am less convinced that Ellison could have made as much of a difference as I had thought that he might when the contest took place.

The Democratic Party's problems are too deeply rooted for a change of leadership to make much of a difference, and the first several months of the Trump administration have shown how many of the party's problems originate with its voter base. All that they have going for them are the savage politics of the Republican Party of 2017.

Unless something drastic happens between now and November 2018, the cultural politics of middle class urban professionals will figure heavily into that campaign. Those politics are rigid and polarizing enough that Democrats running in poor, rural and, less educated districts - even some with large non-white populations - will suffer for it.

The role of urban professionals in the Democratic coalition is becoming something like the role of the religious right in the Republican Party over the past several decades - i.e. loyal and reliable voters, who are an essential source of organizational support, but who are so culturally repellent to the rest of the country that they will scare other voters away if they are not kept in check.

The voters repelled by that kind of thing who are interested in economic leftist aren't that common(the last Democrat to do well among the WWC was Bill "end welfare as we know it" Clinton), and having these "urban professionals" be democrats helps make them left-wing economically, partially due to them having the mentality of a leftist, and partially partisanship.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #197 on: June 06, 2017, 08:26:59 PM »

Re: the OP's question: None whatsoever.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies