Your feelings on Perez as DNC Chair, Ellison as Deputy Chair? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:08:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Your feelings on Perez as DNC Chair, Ellison as Deputy Chair? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Your feelings on Perez as DNC Chair, Ellison as Deputy Chair?
I'm a Democrat - great!
I'm a Democrat - good, not 1st choice but seems a good guy
I'm a Democrat - tolerable
I'm a Democrat - dislike
I'm a Democrat - PEREZ WILL MURDER US ALL
I'm an Independent - great!
I'm an Independent - good, not 1st choice but seems a good guy
I'm an Independent - tolerable
I'm an Independent - dislike
I'm an Independent - PEREZ WILL MURDER US ALL
I'm 3rd Party - great!
I'm 3rd Party - good, not 1st choice but seems a good guy
I'm 3rd Party - tolerable
I'm 3rd Party - dislike
I'm 3rd Party - PEREZ WILL MURDER US ALL
I'm Not American - great!
I'm Not American -  good, not 1st choice but seems a good guy
I'm Not American - tolerable
I'm Not American - dislike
I'm Not American - PEREZ WILL MURDER US ALL
I'm American but usually don't vote - great!
I'm American but usually don't vote -  good, not 1st choice but seems a good guy
I'm American but usually don't vote - tolerable
I'm American but usually don't vote - dislike
I'm American but usually don't vote - PEREZ WILL MURDER US ALL
I'm Republican - great!
I'm Republican -  good, not 1st choice but seems a good guy
I'm Republican - tolerable
I'm Republican - dislike
I'm Republican - PEREZ WILL MURDER US ALL
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your feelings on Perez as DNC Chair, Ellison as Deputy Chair?  (Read 10169 times)
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« on: February 26, 2017, 12:05:40 PM »
« edited: February 26, 2017, 12:08:12 PM by Alpha »

This quote from Matt Bruenig sums it up:

It's a club, and you're not invited in it. The Democratic Party cannot, will not, and most importantly does not know how to save you.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 03:32:06 PM »

This quote from Matt Bruenig sums it up:

It's a club, and you're not invited in it. The Democratic Party cannot, will not, and most importantly does not know how to save you.
Exactly. The Establishment has declared war and it's time the base responds in kind.
Bernie Sanders and his half of the party dont play to win. Bernie Sanders should of threatened the DNC if they didn't pick Keith. This is why the Tea Party and Trump won...they play hard and dirty

That's the problem. I think Bernie is too tolerant of some of the nasty absolute ghouls who control the Democratic Party, and I wish he'd really unpack on them for once for all the s--t they give him
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 03:35:11 PM »

bernie is in it to win it, others prefer to make it about themselves.

The latter's truer of the establishment than any Berniecrat I've seen.

They see Ellison getting support from establishment and left-wing figures, push Tom Perez into the race, and after Ellison is displaced they demand unity.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 04:00:14 PM »

How many people in real life (outside Atlas and the internet) give a sh**t about the DNC election results?
A lot of the Democratic activists and professionals that represent the Prog wing in the political firmament, let me tell ya.
The "progressive wing" is happy that a progressive who has spent his life fighting for civil rights and workers' rights is the new DNC chair.

The Bernie Cult is a different thing.

Haha get the f outta here with that crap

If Tom Perez really was a strong progressive why did he run against Leader of the Congressional Progressive Caucus Keith Ellison?
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 04:12:42 PM »

How many people in real life (outside Atlas and the internet) give a sh**t about the DNC election results?
A lot of the Democratic activists and professionals that represent the Prog wing in the political firmament, let me tell ya.
The "progressive wing" is happy that a progressive who has spent his life fighting for civil rights and workers' rights is the new DNC chair.

If Tom Perez really was a strong progressive why did he run against Leader of the Congressional Progressive Caucus Keith Ellison?
Uh, because he thought he'd do a better job? It's an election dude. Sorry Ellison didn't get his coronation just because he was the first to announce. Roll Eyes

Lol, no he didn't. He ran because Obama and his consultant buddies were afraid of getting a REAL progressive in the DNC that would cut their corporate cash flow.

And if it's about who can do "a better job" than I could probably do a better job at running the DNC than any of the 235 people who voted for Perez.

Perhaps he was concerned that Keith Ellison being a Muslim might adversely impact the party's ability to reach out to voters.  Not everything needs to be seen through the context of a conspiracy.

Ellison's religion wasn't an issue until Haim Saban and all of those other dickless mega-donors made it one.

And if Obama really thought that then he should remember how all those conservatives who were utterly convinced he was a Muslim didn't make a difference in the elections he ran in and won.

I mean if you define the 'Progressive Wing' to be Obama loyalists, maybe.

Like actually, I think that's the problem here. There are three generations within the party working themselves out; Clinton loyalists, Obama loyalists, and Bernie loyalists. Obama folks think they're the bleeding edge of the party, but in truth they've alienated a lot of people in labor, environmental groups, etc etc. over the past 8 years in Washington.
Obama is, by far, the most popular Democratic politician. There's no evidence that he's alienated a lot of progressives.

Yeah, all those progressives in organizations like DSA are really clutching on to the pearls of the Obama legacy. Wink
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »

I gotta say, liberals like Lief are much better at fighting those on the left then they are at fighting the right.

I was quite upset by the outcome of this, despite buying a little into the fear that the right would turn Ellison into a boogeyman.  I saw this as a proxy battle for something bigger than the actual position of DNC chair.

Foucaulf pointed out, however, that real change has to come from the bottom.  Democrats always want the easy way for change.. just install some token figurehead at the top and hope everything falls into line.  That's not how it works.

In order to affect change and prevent disasters like 2016 for the Democratic party, we just have to put our heads down and get on slogging.  And keep on eye on Perez, of course.

Yeah, I have to agree there. Even if Ellison had won it's not like the fight would've stopped. I think in order to get real change from within the party it needs to start at the local level and come from the bottom up, not trickle down from the top level.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies