Why do so many here greatly overestimate the power of DNC Chairman?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:29:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why do so many here greatly overestimate the power of DNC Chairman?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Why do so many here greatly overestimate the power of DNC Chairman?  (Read 3673 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2017, 05:11:22 PM »

I know it's exactly an unimportant office but the meltdown some are having over an office that has virtually nothing to do with platforms or setting policy and not even that much to do with electoral strategy is bizarre. It's like acting like the State Comptroller is a mighty all powerful dominant official in a state.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:34:19 PM »

It's a symbolic thing at this point.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 05:36:03 PM »

I don't think many HERE do, but the huge BernieBro community that doesn't know how politics works thinks it controls everything.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 05:47:16 PM »

As far as I can tell, some actually believe that DWS tilted the 2016 nomination in some meaningful way towards Clinton, and are afraid that Perez will likewise tilt the 2020 nomination towards another "establishment" candidate.

This raises another pet peeve of mine, which is that many folks here seem to think that the national parties recruit presidential candidates, and thereby determine who runs for president in the first place.  I actually remember during primary season, someone suggested that Priebus must have recruited Fiorina to run because it would look bad for the party if there wasn't a woman in the race on the Republican side.

I'm sorry, but that's bananas.  Neither the national party committee nor party chairman "recruits" anyone to run for president.  That's not to say that there aren't gatekeepers.  There are indeed big money donors who are gatekeepers of a sort, and I presume they told Andrew Cuomo and Amy Klobuchar and whoever else that they shouldn't run in 2016 because Clinton was the anointed establishment candidate.  But those big money donors operate outside of the DNC, and they would exist regardless of what the DNC was doing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 06:01:47 PM »

This is not about the DNC Chair. It's never been about the DNC Chair.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 06:37:59 PM »

Then why does it equal 100% guaranteed set in stone Trump reelection like so many hot takes are claiming?
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 06:46:03 PM »

Vladimir, you know?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »

They rigged the primary against the candidate you claimed to have supported.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2017, 03:42:38 PM by Fearless Leader X »

What?  That is literally the only thing this is about.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 06:51:41 PM »

I don't think many HERE do, but the huge BernieBro community that doesn't know how politics works thinks it controls everything.

Nor are they interested in learning.  Some have already begun the character assassination of Tom Perez using questionable left wing sources I've never even heard of.  These people live in another dimension of reality.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 06:52:49 PM »

Nor are they interested in learning.  Some have already begun the character assassination of Tom Perez using questionable left wing sources I've never even heard of.  These people live in another dimension of reality.

It's a fact that he told the Hillary campaign to use race-baiting against Bernie supporters. Your side would rather have Democrats lose than give up a little bit of power. Sad!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 06:53:03 PM »

You are giving WAY too much credit to someone as objectively incompetant as DWS.

Also do you have any actual proof of vote fraud in the primary?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 06:56:12 PM »

You are giving WAY too much credit to someone as objectively incompetant as DWS.

Also do you have any actual proof of vote fraud in the primary?

The first debate was after the deadline to change parties in NY. It's a fact that they had very debates and didn't start until late to protect Hillary and made an active effort to have the media report disfavorably to Bernie. Plus that whole ridiculous "datagate" scandal. The DNC was supposed to be neutral, and yet they were very biased. And Ellison as Deputy Chair won't help, Vice Chairs Gabbard and Rybak couldn't stop DWS's rigging.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 06:57:52 PM »

...so zero evidence of vote fraud. Figures.

and I'm so sure that if New York were an open primary Hillary would've lost the nomination (or even just New York. Roll Eyes )
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »

and I'm so sure that if New York were an open primary Hillary would've lost the nomination (or even just New York. Roll Eyes )

I didn't say voter fraud, but there were certainly a number of voting issues, including in NY state. But neoliberals like you don't give a sh**t.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 07:01:50 PM »

I didn't say voter fraud, but there were certainly a number of voting issues, including in NY state. But neoliberals like you don't give a sh**t.

I VOTED FOR SANDERS YOU DENSE F[INKS].
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 07:37:22 PM »

But you're otherwise all neoliberal all the time.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 07:38:34 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2017, 07:40:32 PM by JAIL FOR FLYNN »

But you're otherwise all neoliberal all the time.

Name a policy position of mine that is. Voting for Bernie's endorsed candidate in the general election instead of some crazy old bat who thinks wi-fi is damaging your brain is not such one.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 07:42:06 PM »

What?  That is literally the only thing this is about...well...that and the fact that some folks are having a temper-tantrum because Teh EVILstablishmentz is mean Cry Cry  Apparently being a "progressive" these days means believing Donald Trump >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tom Perez Roll Eyes

Symbols matter in politics. Denying that means being utterly deluded. If the hacks that control the Democratic party aren't even willing to make a concession on this, that means they have decided they're going keep f**king over the base in every way possible for the years to come. They haven't learned a thing from 2016. That's the problem.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 07:43:45 PM »

What?  That is literally the only thing this is about...well...that and the fact that some folks are having a temper-tantrum because Teh EVILstablishmentz is mean Cry Cry  Apparently being a "progressive" these days means believing Donald Trump >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tom Perez Roll Eyes

Symbols matter in politics. Denying that means being utterly deluded. If the hacks that control the Democratic party aren't even willing to make a concession on this, that means they have decided they're going keep f**king over the base in every way possible for the years to come. They haven't learned a thing from 2016. That's the problem.

Explain how because they've actually been pretty fervent in opposing Trump so far.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 07:46:03 PM »

I'm confused as to how the 2016 election involved Democrats "screwing over the base" or whatever as a premise.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 07:48:05 PM »

Explain how because they've actually been pretty fervent in opposing Trump so far.

Posturing about T***p isn't what will make Democrats win in 2020. To do that, they'll need to actually show that they understand the angers and care about the needs of the growing majority of Americans who get nothing out of the current economic system. They seem completely uninterested in that because it's more convenient to be the part of the upper middle-class who don't like T***p because he's uncool or something.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 07:50:34 PM »

Posturing about T***p isn't what will make Democrats win in 2020. To do that, they'll need to actually show that they understand the angers and care about the needs of the growing majority of Americans who get nothing out of the current economic system. They seem completely uninterested in that because it's more convenient to be the part of the upper middle-class who don't like T***p because he's uncool or something.

And the DNC Chair has nothing to do with any of that! It's basically a position that simply organizes fundraisers and does quick interviews on news shows.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 07:53:31 PM »

And the DNC Chair has nothing to do with any of that! It's basically a position that simply organizes fundraisers and does quick interviews on news shows.

Dean's 50-State strategy allowed Democrats to win supermajorities in 2008. DWS' disaster of a leadership contributed to record losses at every every level. Clearly it matters at least a bit.

But again, the main point isn't the DNC chair itself, it's the SIGNAL it gives. Why nobody seems to understand that?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »

What?  That is literally the only thing this is about...well...that and the fact that some folks are having a temper-tantrum because Teh EVILstablishmentz is mean Cry Cry  Apparently being a "progressive" these days means believing Donald Trump >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tom Perez Roll Eyes

Yes, lets choose our big electoral strategist based on muh symbols. What an excellent idea.

People like you really need to learn to not throw a giant tantrum every time some petty thing doesn't go exactly your way.

Also the vast majority of Americans aren't crazy berniecrats who get outraged at this kind of thing. Maybe you should learn to look past your stupid symbols and see the reality that the democratic party has been changing. Hillary was proposing things like a minimum wage well above the poverty line long before saint bernie came to town, while at the same time addressing other issues like renewable energy and curing/alleviating Alzheimer's disease.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies