Sampson NC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:12:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Sampson NC
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sampson NC  (Read 599 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2017, 06:21:23 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1924#/media/File:PresidentialCounty1924MarginColorbrewer.gif
Sampson County...why was it so Republican?
Credit to NC Yankee for raising the question.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 09:17:24 PM »

Whatever it is, it is not unique to 1924. The only thing I could find is that Marion Butler is from Sampson County.

CROATAN
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 03:49:41 PM »

That is unusual, I couldn't find anything either. Sampson county is the largest geographically in N Carolina and has 2 million hogs in it, but that obviously is a development from the 90s so it's a mystery to me.
mianfei
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 06:46:11 AM »

I have not looked at the 1924 election, but there is a quote in the section on the Hoovercrats from V.O. Key’s Southern Politics in State and Nation (page 321):

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Like Alabama’s Chilton County, Sampson County’s “Solid South”-era white Republicanism dates from the Populist era.

Although unlike Chilton it was not won by Weaver in 1892, Sampson did switch to Republicanism (and Theodore Roosevelt in 1912) after Bryan’s Populism faded out with his second campaign in 1900. It was the centre of North Carolina’s Populist Party under Senator Marion Butler and Third District Congressman John E. Fowler, and when the Democrats passed the constitutional amendment disfranchising black voters in 1900, Sampson’s whites turned to the Republican Party until FDR – even then it was won by Willkie in 1940 and Dewey in 1944.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies