What are the political views of the Academy Awards?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:32:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What are the political views of the Academy Awards?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are the political views of the Academy Awards?  (Read 1924 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:27:48 PM »

According to the movies which are usually nominated and which usually win, I think that the Academy Awards are social liberal, but not communist.

The academy is social liberal because it awards lots of movies about people who belong to minorities and fight against oppression.
But the academy is not communist because it awards movies which show change made by heroes, individuals, and not by class struggle.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 08:36:09 PM »

Of course the Academy Awards would be wicked liberal... it's filled to the brim with out-of-touch Hollywood coastal elite.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 10:46:21 PM »

Here's an irony: while Hollywood likes to virtue-signals about how liberal, anti-Trump, and pro-social justice they are, most actual attempts at diversity in the film industry end up in a smoking pile of rubble.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 11:24:16 PM »

Hardcore latte liberal.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 02:53:24 AM »

The Academy Awards are more fiscally conservative and the Golden Globes are more socially conservative.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 11:22:21 AM »

I think the Academy is mostly white and mostly male.  Think of all of the technical people involved in making a movie- most of those names on the long credits roll after a film are involved in behind the scenes magic - and those are mostly men and I don't think they are really walking around barking orders at servants to get them lattes.  They might go to Starbucks every now and then, but they are trade people - and yes because they work with people from all backgrounds, especially gays and Jews, they are going to not support the party of Pat Robertson.

I think a lot of the Hollywood elite vote Republican because they do not want to lose their fortunes.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 01:57:41 PM »

They are socially liberal because they are artists, and economically conservative.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 07:26:15 PM »

clear liberal bias across the board.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 09:33:37 PM »

I'm guessing there is a wide array of political views there, but with a tendency towards an elitist form of liberalism.

Also a Trump supporter accusing other people of being "out of touch" is hilarious.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 11:25:01 PM »

Also a Trump supporter accusing other people of being "out of touch" is hilarious.

The sort of elitist liberalism that proliferates in Hollywood is far more out of touch than your typical Trump supporter, almost by definition.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 08:06:53 AM »

The sort of elitist liberalism that proliferates in Hollywood is far more out of touch than your typical Trump supporter, almost by definition.

Oh yeah, I agree that Hollywood is obviously out of touch; I'm just sick of Trump supporters thinking they have a monopoly on being "in touch."
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 03:36:56 PM »

Oh yeah, I agree that Hollywood is obviously out of touch; I'm just sick of Trump supporters thinking they have a monopoly on being "in touch."

I would expect most people to believe that they are the ones who are really in touch. In this case, Hollywood really doesn't have a leg to stand on, but it can be pretty murky at times. I will admit that calling someone "out of touch" doesn't constitute much of an argument.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 10:40:15 AM »

I would also say that the reason why Hollywood is "out of touch" is not because of left-of-center political views.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 02:41:45 AM »

I would totally agree with that. It's easy to come up with examples of out-of-touch right-wingers (e.g. Koch brothers) and in-touch left-wingers (e.g. Bernie Sanders; I find a lot of his proposals unrealistic, but he does touch on a ton of issues that actually matter to young liberal voters).
kyc0705

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 06:23:25 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2017, 06:24:57 AM by kyc0705 »

Not as down-the-board liberal as some like to think, at least not traditionally. Crash beat Brokeback Mountain largely because a contingency of older voters openly said they did not want to watch the "gay cowboy movie." However, that was ten years ago, and the membership of the Academy has changed somewhat significantly since.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies