Newsweek: How Donald Trump is fueling ISIS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:21:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Newsweek: How Donald Trump is fueling ISIS
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Newsweek: How Donald Trump is fueling ISIS  (Read 908 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »
« edited: February 27, 2017, 05:23:56 PM by Ronnie »

The intrepid Kurt Eichenwald explains what happens when we elect a man who is willing to eschew years of carefully crafted intelligence in favor of flawed preconceived notions about foreign policy and an obsession with appeasing his red meat base:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-fueling-isis-560999
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 05:00:54 PM »

This man is dangerous, and so is literally every GOP politician who berated Obama for not using that phrase
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 05:01:52 PM »

Russian intelligence helps him get elected while his staff and friends conduct back-door dealing with the Kremlin.

China criticizes him for changing longstanding understandings between the two nations, then he backpedals and gets a personal concession in return.

ISIS loves using him as a propaganda tool, and he keeps going the same thing, even after repeatedly being told what he's done is helping them.

Trump probably wishes the US had more enemies, so that he could sell us out to them, too. (Oh, look how he's treating Mexico and Europe.) What a deplorable, treacherous, treasonous scumbag.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 05:05:07 PM »

I don't agree with the title of this thread........it's about time someone told these guys like it is.....we're coming to destroy you. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 05:11:55 PM »

I don't agree with the title of this thread........it's about time someone told these guys like it is.....we're coming to destroy you. 

lol Trump cultists still buying his campaign slogans....I guess Mexico's gonna pay for the wall is no longer avaliable

I see nothing wrong with calling out ISIS........but I do want results, not slogans.  Kthx.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »

I've read countless times that the best way to destroy ISIS is to cut off their funding.

Instead of going to war, of spending needless $$$ to build a war machine we don't need, let's go after cutting off their funding. And that's just one angle to tackle.

There are much better ways to go about dealing with a perceived enemy than by wasting money blasting it to smithereens with weapons of mass destruction.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 05:17:24 PM »

I've read countless times that the best way to destroy ISIS is to cut off their funding.

Instead of going to war, of spending needless $$$ to build a war machine we don't need, let's go after cutting off their funding. And that's just one angle to tackle.

There are much better ways to go about dealing with a perceived enemy than by wasting money blasting it to smithereens with weapons of mass destruction.

Why can't we do both?  Seriously, no one ever said it was a one pronged approach.  But hey we're not going to convince each other but I do appreciate the back and forth.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »

Radical Islamic terrorism is a serious problem, different from Islam in general. If people don't get this distinction, then perhaps we deserve ISIS.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 05:18:42 PM »

lol Trump cultists still buying his campaign slogans....I guess Mexico's gonna pay for the wall is no longer avaliable

I see nothing wrong with calling out ISIS........but I do want results, not slogans.  Kthx.

Trump promised the public a plan to defeat ISIS within 30 days of his inauguration and here we are on day 34 and still nothing ...just like his promises of an EO into voter fraud, 2nd muslim ban

I'm sure he's going to tell you and I and his followers all about it when it's developed.........wait, maybe not. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 06:23:46 PM »

Because existing policy of arming every jihadist in Syria was working out so well.
Jeffster
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 08:06:42 PM »

This article is beyond stupid. Bush and Obama destabilized the middle east, and all their pussy-footing around using terms like "islamic terrorism" didn't stop the creation of ISIS in the first place.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2017, 08:37:19 PM by Eharding »

Interesting, then, that ISIS has lost massive amounts of territory (and has gained none) since Trump came into office. Much the opposite of the case with Barack Hussein Obama, who transformed it from a non-entity to a terror-state the size of Britain. Just today:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5wg902/tiger_forces_reached_the_sdf_line/

The above means that, for the first time in the war, ISIS will be totally unable to access men and supplies from Turkey. Its significance cannot be overstated, and indicates the defeat of ISIS within a year.

What the above two posters said is true, as well.

Kurt Eichenwald is less reliable than Sean Spicer.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 05:38:07 AM »

Trump will wipe these guys from the face of the Earth.

That is the promise.

Now let him try.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 07:57:51 AM »

Interesting, then, that ISIS has lost massive amounts of territory (and has gained none) since Trump came into office. Much the opposite of the case with Barack Hussein Obama, who transformed it from a non-entity to a terror-state the size of Britain. Just today:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5wg902/tiger_forces_reached_the_sdf_line/

The above means that, for the first time in the war, ISIS will be totally unable to access men and supplies from Turkey. Its significance cannot be overstated, and indicates the defeat of ISIS within a year.
Daesh has been losing territory for a year. We'd be at roughly the same situation now regardless of who had been President for the last month.  In the sense of no longer acting as if it were a government, Daesh may well be out of business in Iraq and Syria, but hopefully we won't repeat the mistake of proclaiming "Mission Accomplished" when that happens. The easy part, the part that can be accomplished by the force of arms, will be done, but that's only the beginning.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 09:32:55 AM »

Reread. (or read) the article, Grumps. We need to fight ISIS intelligently based on thought out long ccrafted intelligence analysis , not based on the feelgood drunk at the end of the bar mentality.

It's not a matter of elitism , its avoiding counterproductively HELPING Daeish.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 09:34:19 AM »

In b4 "Lamestream media", "alternative facts ", etc.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »

Radical Islamic terrorism is a serious problem, different from Islam in general. If people don't get this distinction, then perhaps we deserve ISIS.

Republican's won't say "Fundamentalist Islamic Terrorist" because they don't want Americans thinking about how many attacks there have been by Fundamentalist Christian Terrorists. (And how the GOP supports them.)
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 11:33:25 AM »

Yes I'm sure there are tons of normal liberal minded muslims who were radicalized by Trump's non PC statements.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 12:43:17 PM »

The article may be overplaying Trump's impact.  Most Moslems who are anti-American, after seeing Trump in action, were probably predisposed to be so even before that.  More moderate Moslems are rightly concerned by President Trump's policies, but are not necessarily turning militant (yet).

But there is no doubt that Trump's actions are dangerous on two fronts:

1. By turning the US into a pariah with Arab and Iranian public opinion, it will be much more difficult to motivate people in those countries to trust and publicly support US goals in curtailing terrorism.  Without allies, this endeavor will be very difficult, if not outright impossible.

2. By oversimplifying international policy into a few reality TV soundbites, Trump is making getting anything done very difficult and directly torpedoing the very hard and complex work of thousands of military, homeland security and intelligence officers.  This is not a black and white situation - it reeks of shades of gray and Trump is unnecessarily misleading the public into believing it all hinges on one person's resolution and courage.

Like everything that Trump does, this will eventually come back to bite him, once his approval drops, the key GOP bills are passed and the midterms are closer to home.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 10:34:05 PM »

Really Radical Islam would have a woman in a burqa doing that.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 10:41:47 PM »

-I don't think that's the case. I honestly don't know what would happen in Syria had HRC won. HRC is not Obama.

Yes, Trump is likely to have to sort out a post-war future for the Fertile Crescent.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies