63% of African Americans feel taken for granted by the democratic party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:19:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  63% of African Americans feel taken for granted by the democratic party
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 63% of African Americans feel taken for granted by the democratic party  (Read 2802 times)
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2017, 12:48:07 AM »

http://www.theskanner.com/news/usa/25021-new-study-blacks-feel-ignored-by-the-democratic-party

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 12:52:37 AM »

They should.

The sense of entitlement Hillary had during the primaries - as if black people owed her their votes despite her and her husband ignoring them all through the '90s - was astonishing.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 12:53:11 AM »

It will probably get worse if the party drifts further left.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 01:11:52 AM »

A number of them noticed this about "the first black President".

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/09/stone-mountain-kkk-white-supremacy-simmons/
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 01:15:56 AM »

they should absolutely vote for trump if they think he cares more.

on a more serious note....this question would automatically result into a YES-bias.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:19:39 AM »

The way to not feel taken for granted by one party is to become swing voters.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 01:22:54 AM »

They should.

The sense of entitlement Hillary had during the primaries - as if black people owed her their votes despite her and her husband ignoring them all through the '90s - was astonishing.

-Hillary had a sense of entitlement about primary votes. So did Jeb Bush. It doesn't matter if the candidate feels a sense of entitlement or not. It matters a great deal if the electorate agrees with that sense.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 01:29:14 AM »

But they certainly aren't going to be supporting Trump in 2020. The presidential primary process is heavily weighted toward the black vote and almost intentionally so. Strategically, blacks have plenty of clout in the Democratic Party, which is hardly being taken for granted.

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 02:19:06 AM »

Trump received more of the African-American vote than Romney or McCain.

No one thinks he'll win a majority... but if Democrats adopt a "ignore race issues for now, focus only on economics" strategy then we could see another 5-10% move to the Republicans. And that would be deadly for the Democrats.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 02:19:54 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2017, 02:22:00 AM by Senator Scott »

This is interesting, but most of the priorities listed in this survey aren't what would generally be considered liberal or conservative priorities; these are mostly vague campaign platitudes.  Though I happened to come across an old article the other week, that was written when the primaries were still taking place, which suggested that African American voters, despite being overwhelmingly Democratic as a bloc, are not monolithically liberal and are arguably to the right of your typical white Democratic voter.  They might not always like the Democratic Party or agree with it or support the direction it embraces in terms of what gets prioritized, but they vote consistently for Democratic candidates because they have no incentive to support Republicans instead.

I'm not sure how much truth there is to that theory or if it factors into this poll in any way, but I thought it was a neat take.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 02:24:58 AM »

Trump received more of the African-American vote than Romney or McCain.

No one thinks he'll win a majority... but if Democrats adopt a "ignore race issues for now, focus only on economics" strategy then we could see another 5-10% move to the Republicans. And that would be deadly for the Democrats.

trump's 8% was laughable, considering he wasn't running against an african-american. In fact, trump's 8% is the lowest a GOP nominee has ever gotten against a white democrat. It was embarrassing.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 04:01:23 AM »

This is interesting, but most of the priorities listed in this survey aren't what would generally be considered liberal or conservative priorities; these are mostly vague campaign platitudes.  Though I happened to come across an old article the other week, that was written when the primaries were still taking place, which suggested that African American voters, despite being overwhelmingly Democratic as a bloc, are not monolithically liberal and are arguably to the right of your typical white Democratic voter.  They might not always like the Democratic Party or agree with it or support the direction it embraces in terms of what gets prioritized, but they vote consistently for Democratic candidates because they have no incentive to support Republicans instead.

I'm not sure how much truth there is to that theory or if it factors into this poll in any way, but I thought it was a neat take.

Age, generation, and regions have a lot to do with that. Obviously a middle-age black family in Mississippi is going to have different views culturally and economically than a young black student at a metropolian university.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 04:14:38 AM »

African Americans are more motivated to vote against Republicans than for Democrats. They engage in strategic group voting, knowing that at least one party will not actively work against their interests. But that doesn't mean they have any reason to believe Democrats fully appreciate and listen to them. And now if the Democrats decide to focus less on "identity politics," they'll feel even more taken for granted. The simple, yet unfortunate fact, is that American politics functions with a strong White-centered focus; African Americans are essentially talked to, rather than listened to. I believe this stems from the fact that Democrats care most about whomever cuts them large donations, rather than who shows up at the polls.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 02:20:09 PM »

They should.

Lol. The 1994 crime bill was pretty seriously pushed by leaders in the black community, FTR. Also, this isn't a Hillary problem. The bernie wing is definitely bad about this.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »

I have been saying for years and years that the Democratic Party has taken the African American vote for granted for generations.

Let me ask the powers that be in the Democratic Party

In spite of the fact that African Americans have been your most loyal constituency for generations, not once have you seen fit that an African American should be on the Presidential ticket.

Why?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 02:51:25 PM »

I have been saying for years and years that the Democratic Party has taken the African American vote for granted for generations.

In spite of the fact that African Americans have been your most loyal constituency for generations, not once have you seen fit that an African American should be on the Presidential ticket.

Why?
I can't tell if this is trolling or legit stupidity
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 02:58:48 PM »

Why?

I can only conclude from your holier than thou remarks that you believe it is "stupidity", your word, for the Democrats to put an African American on the Presidential ticket.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 03:00:46 PM »

Why?

Huh
Huh
Huh
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 03:03:45 PM »

Why?

Um... Barack Obama is a person who exists
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 03:04:54 PM »

B-I-N-G-O!!!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 03:06:38 PM »

I'm assuming that Lincoln Republican is one of those people who subscribes to the idea that Obama isn't African-American because his mother was white.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 03:10:01 PM »

I'm assuming that Lincoln Republican is one of those people who subscribes to the idea that Obama isn't African-American because his mother was white.

It's quite a stupid idea.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 03:10:24 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2017, 03:12:03 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Well, I was actually referring to the Vice Presidency.

They've had since the 1800's to do it.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 03:20:12 PM »

Totally agree with you, my friend. AA can, and sure have, a lot of complains about the Democrats, but the AA voters don't have anywhere else to go. How can AA voters vote for Republican candidates when they, republicans, see the AA community as a problem and not part of society?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »

The way to not feel taken for granted by one party is to become swing voters.

Gee, if only the Republicans had an outreach programme that encouraged black people to vote for th-

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies