Trump immigration megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:03:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump immigration megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Trump immigration megathread  (Read 4017 times)
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/321613-trump-wants-compromise-immigration-bill-reports Apparently this bill would allow many illegal immigrants who have not committed any serious crimes to stay within the United States, but would not offer them a path to citizenship.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 03:48:15 PM »

Called it months ago. They recognize being anti-minority is going to backfire if Latinos turn out and continue voting Democratic. So ergo this.

I doubt the compromise will ever happen (Trump's base would revolt) but can you imagine the millions of new Democrats if a future Democratic President legalized them all?

This is hilarious to watch and I can only imagine Trump's base going apoplectic.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 03:52:14 PM »

If done the correct way, I suspect this move will be seen as "smart" by his base, he just has to word it the right way.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 03:56:31 PM »

Bad idea. I suggest ending DACA (an unconstitutional executive amnesty) before any talk of any lawful amnesty.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 03:56:41 PM »

The Republican base? Well at this point they don't even have an ideology,  just a primal scream so I guess if Trump can sell it that way maybe. I don't see him getting an immigration bill through Congress without spending a lot of political capital.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 04:03:36 PM »

What does "allow...to stay within the United States" mean?  A few years ago, some Republicans were advocating a compromise on immigration reform that would allow "a path to legalization" as opposed to citizenship, which basically would mean that someone who was until now here illegally could get a visa and live here legally on a long term basis (if not forever).  Is that what this is?  That people would actually get visas so that they'd be here legally?  Or is it just "We won't target you for deportation, but you're still illegal, so we could change our minds whenever", which is the situation right now?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 04:05:07 PM »

This kind of "compromise" offers the worst of both worlds: It creates a massive underclass of people who can stay in the country indefinitely and compete with entry-level American workers for jobs, but that is totally disenfranchised and politically disempowered.

Irreplaceable "superstars" excepted, people should not be living and working in the United States for years unless they have full political rights. This means being a citizen or progressing toward citizenship.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »

I would support this, as it's the best we're likely to get out of Trump. An underclass already exists, and this would, despite not providing full citizenship, give them some more security vis-a-vis their employers than they currently have. Perhaps more importantly, if he actually signed this, it would prove that he's not a total monster, and that would be by far the biggest relief I've had since election day.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 04:40:41 PM »

This kind of "compromise" offers the worst of both worlds: It creates a massive underclass of people who can stay in the country indefinitely and compete with entry-level American workers for jobs, but that is totally disenfranchised and politically disempowered.

Irreplaceable "superstars" excepted, people should not be living and working in the United States for years unless they have full political rights. This means being a citizen or progressing toward citizenship.

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 04:41:20 PM »

Stop ticking with this crap about people who are already here and will never leave. Just stop new people from coming here.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 04:59:15 PM »

If done the correct way, I suspect this move will be seen as "smart" by his base, he just has to word it the right way.

I genuinely believe Trump's base could care less for results. Trump could not change anything and if the economy is still good in 2020...they would enthusiastically vote for him again.

All Trump has to do is lie and his base will believe him

I wonder what possible gain they get out of this? They're bound to take off the rose-colored glasses sooner or later when nothing of consequence that benefits them ever happens.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 05:08:06 PM »

With very small words?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 05:09:35 PM »

That's not bug, that's the feature. It's what the GOP elite always wanted.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »

That's not bug, that's the feature. It's what the GOP elite always wanted.

Reality bites!
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »

Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 05:27:36 PM »

I don't see why he should compromise. I see no indication that the democrats will support anything he puts forward so he might as well go all out.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 05:35:49 PM »

Immigration reform requires 60 votes in the Senate.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 06:04:45 PM »

Immigration reform requires 60 votes in the Senate.
Dems should go pathway to citizenship or bust.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 06:12:45 PM »

Called it months ago. They recognize being anti-minority is going to backfire if Latinos turn out and continue voting Democratic. So ergo this.

I doubt the compromise will ever happen (Trump's base would revolt) but can you imagine the millions of new Democrats if a future Democratic President legalized them all?

This is hilarious to watch and I can only imagine Trump's base going apoplectic.

That really depends if he gets them (illegal arrivals) out of the country before the next election.

If they are still in the country, what you are saying is a strong point.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 06:22:25 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2017, 06:37:17 PM by Blue3 »

Breaking News:
Trump to propose amnesty for millions of illegal immigrants tonight, as part of a compromise deal for comprehensive immigration reform

(I'll believe it when it happens... but this is a good signal. It obviously won't go as far as Democrats want, Trump to propose making them permanent residents though not on the pathway to citizenships, but that's something future campaigns can run on. It's still a step in the right direction... if it happens. We've been trying to do immigration reform since Bush in '06, then Obama in '10 and '13.)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »

Source?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 06:23:56 PM »

wouldn't it be great if Democrats forced him into a better immigration deal than Barack or Bush ever got. One can dream.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 06:48:22 PM »

Hopefully the benefits of full citizenship don't kick in for at least five years so that Trump is the last Republican President.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 06:53:17 PM »

How the hell can you post this and not give a source? The f**k?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 06:55:08 PM »

Greta Van Susteren on MSNBC. But I also saw someone else already made the thread here, with a source, so I'm expecting them to be merged (though I hope they keep this title). And since it's coming out during the address to Congress, you don't have to wait long for confirmation from Trump himself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies