President Trump's First Address to Congress **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:10:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  President Trump's First Address to Congress **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: President Trump's First Address to Congress **live commentary thread**  (Read 9009 times)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2017, 07:54:37 AM »

I didn't watch the speech so i will try to watch it later, but the overall reaction here, in Europe, is not bad. Here in Portugal, the media is labeling the speech as quite moderate and solemn.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2017, 08:08:36 AM »

And of course the media is running with a "New, Presidential Trump!" narrative because he stuck to a TelePrompTer. Like seriously? We're still holding him to such a low standard? It's like putting a dog on stage and applauding because he didn't crap himself.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2017, 08:40:22 AM »

the austrian standard called it his best speech yet.

the author must be pleased.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2017, 08:47:51 AM »

Excellent speech, duh.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »

via robert costa:

Some sources in WH are frankly surprised at how pundits are warming to the speech. Say Trump has not changed, no big shift in policy coming.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2017, 09:41:35 AM »

And of course the media is running with a "New, Presidential Trump!" narrative because he stuck to a TelePrompTer. Like seriously? We're still holding him to such a low standard? It's like putting a dog on stage and applauding because he didn't crap himself.

Normalizing him like this is going to destroy us. It was a Frankensteined together vaguely-patriotic nothingburger that wouldn't have been out of place for an actor playing the president in a B-movie.

I guess it will be interesting to see if performing monkey Trump will be a supersedes raving madman Trump, and for how long. I expect him to rest on his laurels from the speech for about a week, tops, then restart the downward spiral.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2017, 11:06:20 AM »

I'm watching it now, and I'm glad that he ditched his signature gaudy red Italian clearance rack tie for a more Anglo-Saxon style.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2017, 11:16:48 AM »

via robert costa:

Some sources in WH are frankly surprised at how pundits are warming to the speech. Say Trump has not changed, no big shift in policy coming.

lol

Beshear's response was...so-so. It was a nice sentiment, but a white bread, boring former solid GOP state Governor was a strange choice. Could've been worse though.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »

"President does not crap himself on stage, media hails him as savior." 

The President will return to crapping himself on the national stage soon enough. I'll read the transcript later for actual text to see what the White House is trying to convey to the country in a semi-coherent fashion.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2017, 01:23:58 PM »

I can totally see this going over very poorly with the most rabid members of his base for the fact that he didn't go off script, cuss, shoot some random Congresspeople, etc. After all, wasn't this supposed to be the guy who would shake things up in Washington?
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2017, 01:28:47 PM »

And he'll go back to tweeting and doing moronic things next week.

Americans are short sighted, and we'll be duped enough to see his approvals maybe go above water shortly.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2017, 02:06:44 PM »

Mediaite notes that Nielsen’s overnight numbers show that Trump’s address drew 27.8 million viewers on Tuesday evening across all major networks and cable news outlets. While this is an impressive number, Obama’s first address to Congress in 2009 drew an overnight rating of 33.4 million viewers, or roughly 20% more viewers than Trump’s drew.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/nielsen-ratings-for-obamas-first-congressional-address-dwarfed-trumps-tuesday-night-speech/amp/

Trump just isn't a draw
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2017, 02:13:21 PM »

Mediaite notes that Nielsen’s overnight numbers show that Trump’s address drew 27.8 million viewers on Tuesday evening across all major networks and cable news outlets. While this is an impressive number, Obama’s first address to Congress in 2009 drew an overnight rating of 33.4 million viewers, or roughly 20% more viewers than Trump’s drew.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/nielsen-ratings-for-obamas-first-congressional-address-dwarfed-trumps-tuesday-night-speech/amp/

You could kind of tell when the instant polls came out that a lot of Democrats didn't watch the speech. It's probably not the best strategy, but at least it annoys Trump and will probably cause him to spend most of this week bragging about how 5 billion people watched the speech instead of reinforcing the "New and Improved Trump" image.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2017, 03:45:41 PM »

via robert costa:

lol

Beshear's response was...so-so. It was a nice sentiment, but a white bread, boring former solid GOP state Governor was a strange choice. Could've been worse though.

The choice suggested to me that the Democrats recognize that they need to make more of an effort to compete in Midwestern states where they are currently getting obliterated. Good news for them if so, but I think there were better strategic choices than Beshear.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2017, 04:33:21 PM »

via robert costa:

lol

The choice suggested to me that the Democrats recognize that they need to make more of an effort to compete in Midwestern states where they are currently getting obliterated. Good news for them if so, but I think there were better strategic choices than Beshear.

Like who?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2017, 01:27:35 AM »

via robert costa:

lol

Like who?

Someone from, say, Missouri or Ohio. A state where Dems can really compete. Other than Governor Kentucky is likely a dead letter for them. It teases, but denies.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies