What Atlas #Analysis will be rejected after the 2020 election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:40:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What Atlas #Analysis will be rejected after the 2020 election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Atlas #Analysis will be rejected after the 2020 election?  (Read 4632 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: March 02, 2017, 12:47:09 AM »

Hopefully, that Trump is teflon and can never lose.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 09:03:43 AM »

Are you saying that the #analysis will be that it's gone for Democrats in 2020? Because the idea that Republicans can't win PA is definitely dead by now.

No, for Republicans. I've already seen like two people here (most notably pbrower2a) saying that 2016 was a fluke and that the state will go back to being "likely D" in 2020 or whatever based on that one poll that showed him with poor approval ratings in the state. PA might vote Democratic (and I agree that it's the most or second-most likely state to flip to the Ds), but I definitely think it is winnable for Republicans (the same way FL was winnable for Obama in 2008, if you want).

But generally the "fools gold" analysis isn't very useful in most cases. Many states are always fool's gold until they aren't. Democrats could win AZ, just like Republicans could win MN.

Edit: Another thing that could be rejected is the idea that <candidate X is too liberal to be elected nationwide!!>.

I agree. The term "fools' gold" should be retired from political discussion (sure, there are enough solid Democrats in Colorado at this point to make the state vote consistently Democratic, but they still could decide not to show up), as should the idea that voters run all the candidates through Political Matrix and decide based on that who they're allowed to consider.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 12:35:07 AM »

Voting for a candidate because he/she is "more electable."

A candidates perceived "electability" is not a legitimate reason to vote for them during a primary.

It kind of is, if you hate the opposing party's candidate enough.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies