Ellison for Minnesota Governor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:09:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ellison for Minnesota Governor?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ellison for Minnesota Governor?  (Read 2762 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 05:00:45 AM »

No, please, let's not test Minnesota any further: we already saw how abstract racism on the national level nearly tipped it to the GOP in the presidential race between two white people. I can only imagine what might happen if you tried to ask the very white and not-racist people of Minnesota to vote for a brown to govern their own state!

In fact i think Georgia will elect black governor sooner then Minnesota or Wisconsin. Some moments from "Gone with the Wind" come to mind immediately...
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 02:41:24 PM »

Ellison could win but I think Ellison is better suited to be Speaker, Senator, or PRESIDENT.

If Democrats win back the House in 2018, either Ellison or Ryan should be Speaker of the House.

I also think if Franken runs for president in 2020 and retires from his Senate seat, then Ellison could make a run there and win.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 03:14:46 PM »

I think he would lose the general.  He would need to be in a >60% Obama state to be favored statewide IMO and a >60% Clinton state to be confident in a win. 
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 03:25:06 PM »

I think he would lose the general.  He would need to be in a >60% Obama state to be favored statewide IMO and a >60% Clinton state to be confident in a win. 

About that. But sometimes even that is NOT a guarantee - see Maryland-2014...
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2017, 04:04:41 PM »

Despite all the worries about Democrats having no bench.. the DFL bench is loaded and the primary will be very crowded.  Meanwhile, the GOP has very little, it would seem.

He should stay in Washington, for now.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2017, 12:56:50 AM »

Despite all the worries about Democrats having no bench.. the DFL bench is loaded and the primary will be very crowded.  Meanwhile, the GOP has very little, it would seem.

He should stay in Washington, for now.

+1. IMHO - he is an quite adequate representative of MN-05. Not sure - about whole state of Minnesota (in fact - almost sure he doesn't). And absolutely not - country as a whole.
Trapsy

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »

LMAO we elected Dayton twice and this guy slept through debates.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 10:20:47 PM »

1) Ellison wouldn't win and he is not going to run. Ellison himself has said tim Walz will be next Governor of Minnesota.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/19/rep-keith-ellison-expects-rep-tim-walz-will-be-minnesotas-next-governor/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

2) Franken is not running for President.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/05/24/democratic-sen-al-franken-says-he-wont-run-for-president-against-trump-2020/22107648/
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2017, 03:06:05 PM »

i don't know how you would pick Ellison as an "elitist" if you ever heard him speak.

elitist = brown/black

No. John Lewis is, surely, not elitist to me. Neither is Sanford Bishop. And this in only one state... Examples are plenty. But Ellison - excuse me...

P.S. There are lots of white politicians i heartily dislike. Why there can't be some black or brown?

No one says you can't dislike him. But you can also dislike someone without calling them "elitist."
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2017, 11:17:50 AM »

Ellison would happy to stay in the House to be part of the Democratic Majority once more
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2017, 02:56:42 PM »

i don't know how you would pick Ellison as an "elitist" if you ever heard him speak.

elitist = brown/black

No. John Lewis is, surely, not elitist to me. Neither is Sanford Bishop. And this in only one state... Examples are plenty. But Ellison - excuse me...

P.S. There are lots of white politicians i heartily dislike. Why there can't be some black or brown?

No one says you can't dislike him. But you can also dislike someone without calling them "elitist."

Yeah, but if it's my perception of him, why must i hide it? I don't try to convince anyone, simply express my personal opinion of him.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2017, 06:25:46 PM »

No, please, let's not test Minnesota any further: we already saw how abstract racism on the national level nearly tipped it to the GOP in the presidential race between two white people. I can only imagine what might happen if you tried to ask the very white and not-racist people of Minnesota to vote for a brown to govern their own state!
The false equivalency of populism with racism continues.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2017, 10:24:36 PM »

elitist = brown/black

Yeah, but if it's my perception of him, why must i hide it? I don't try to convince anyone, simply express my personal opinion of him.

I mean, in some sense, everyone in Congress is "elitist" by definition. This is kind of a meaningless statement, though.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2017, 09:58:41 AM »
« Edited: June 10, 2017, 10:02:55 AM by jphp »

Walz would be a much better option than anyone associated with the Cities. While there's a lot of dislike for Walz in the extremely rural areas of his district, he's also able to connect with folks from that area moreso than DFLers from the Cities. I grew up in his district, and am often back in the area and in contact with many folks from there. And to be honest, he has a lot more name recognition at least in the southern part of the state than Ellison does. He also gets "points" from rural folks for having served in the military.

And, to be completely blunt: There are lots of racist folks in rural Minnesota. These aren't the secretly racist people who try to keep it quiet or don't realize that they are racist. These are the people who will still use the n-word and have Confederate flags. They aren't hugely numerous, but they exist and they would turn out to vote in this case, as many of them did against Obama. Then there are the older folks who, while not necessarily meaning to be racist, are racist and would vote against any person of color who ran, possibly without even realizing why they're doing it.

However, even more damning than that is the fact that he's Muslim. A local, small-town newspaper recently ran an "article" that was a blog from an anti-Muslim person who is listed as very bad news by the Southern Poverty Law Center. It basically said that all Muslims are trying to take over the world and teach people how to jihad blah blah. A larger newspaper in the Walz district, while not as overt, also has very strong anti-Muslim sentiments. And this is just in my little corner of the state. It's frustrating, gross, and depressing, but greater Minnesota isn't ready for that.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2017, 10:09:49 AM »

Ellison would happy to stay in the House to be part of the Democratic Majority once more

Eh. I know people who worked in Ellison's office back when Democrats actually had a majority. He didn't particularly enjoy the work then. There's a reason he wanted to be DNC chair. His true calling is as an organizer.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2017, 11:40:57 AM »

In fact i think Georgia will elect black governor sooner then Minnesota or Wisconsin. Some moments from "Gone with the Wind" come to mind immediately...

Georgia electing a black governor could actually happen next year, though it is a longshot. You are probably right since Georgia has a sizable black population and its minority population in general is growing.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies