WaPo: Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:37:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  WaPo: Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during campaign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14
Author Topic: WaPo: Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during campaign  (Read 11542 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: March 02, 2017, 10:37:47 PM »

Woo nelly! This is some serious stuff.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #301 on: March 02, 2017, 10:40:44 PM »

spicer btw projected that sessions wouldn't recuse himself ... Wink

"There's nothing to recuse himself [from]. He was 100% straight with the committee." -@seanspicer to @HuntsmanAbby on AG Jeff Sessions
https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/837346970268151808

-Told ya, absolutely nothing Spicer says should be trusted.

Holy crap I agree with Eharding
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #302 on: March 02, 2017, 10:43:33 PM »

god save the intelligence services, the US department of state, president obama, the free press and all loyal and democratic employees of the US government.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #303 on: March 02, 2017, 11:05:17 PM »

I seriously doubt there will be anything more than further political smoke at this point.  It's not at all odd that a U.S. Senator would speak with a foreign ambassador and why would the Russians funnel anything concerning the Trump campaign thru a random Senator when they had more direct contacts to the campaign?  The recusal is good, but I'd be shocked if this particular problem goes further.  Still, it has managed to keep the Trump 2020 campaign off message for at least a day.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #304 on: March 02, 2017, 11:09:40 PM »

So I'm not going to read this entire thread, but why can't Sessions talk to the Russian ambassador to the U.S.?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #305 on: March 02, 2017, 11:11:23 PM »

So I'm not going to read this entire thread, but why can't Sessions talk to the Russian ambassador to the U.S.?
The problem is him lying about this meeting not having a meeting (though it raises questions)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #306 on: March 02, 2017, 11:11:54 PM »

The problem is him lying about this meeting not having a meeting (though it raises questions)

Under oath mind you.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #307 on: March 02, 2017, 11:13:30 PM »

he absolutely can.

he just can't lie about it in congress, especially when that trip was seemingly funded by the trump campaign, which would suggest, he visited the amb. as surrogate of the trump campaign.

if there wouldn't have been any kind of open question, sessions wouldn't have recused himself.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #308 on: March 02, 2017, 11:13:33 PM »

Oh, yeah, that's not good. I hope he won't do so anymore in the future.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #309 on: March 02, 2017, 11:15:04 PM »

I like how news drops of his travel expenses being covered by the Trump campaign hours after he said it was official business. They were waiting for that to drop it. I love it.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #310 on: March 02, 2017, 11:17:08 PM »

I like how news drops of his travel expenses being covered by the Trump campaign hours after he said it was official business. They were waiting for that to drop it. I love it.

i am pretty pretty effing sure, news media outlets asked them for comments a day ago at least.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #311 on: March 03, 2017, 01:57:25 PM »

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedBen/status/837730107800358912

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/trump-foreign-policy-elites-insiders-experts-international-relations-214846

one could find....well..something like...a pattern.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #312 on: March 03, 2017, 04:08:46 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2017, 04:35:13 PM by Ghost of Ruin »

Just off the top of my head, then, we're at:

Trump having a history of doing business (to the tune of tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars) with high net worth Russian individuals (some affiliated with the Putin government).

Manafort & Co, who have previously worked for the Russians, and who recommended taking Russian-critical language out of the party platform (while making no other major changes).

Ivanka going on vacation with a woman believed to be a personal and intimate friend of President Putin.

Russian intelligence groups stealing emails from the DNC. Trump openly asking Russian intelligence to publicly release email contents they had stolen, which they did.

Trump associates display knowledge of email contents prior to their being released.

Confirmed contacts between Trump campaign surrogates and supporters and Russian officials, with more such contacts alleged.

Trump's National Security Advisor having multiple, possibly illegal, contacts with high-ranking Russian officials, which he then attempted to conceal from the VP and others.

Trump's son-in-law was also present for a meeting between the NSA and the Russian Ambassador, with the Ambassador's presence being kept secret from the public.

Trump is allegedly being blackmailed by the Russian government.

Trump fires the DoJ official responsible for investigating his NSA's contacts with Russia.

Trump's Secretary of State has a long history of personal and business ties with Russia and Russian leadership.

Trump's Secretary of Commerce has a long history of business ties with Russia and Russian oligarchs.

Trump's Attorney General lied under oath to conceal his contact with the Russian Ambassador, and then lied again when explaining them.

Trump's administration fires State Dept officials advising his UN Ambassador how to stand up to Russian aggression.

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #313 on: March 03, 2017, 04:26:37 PM »

^ Don't forget that Manafort worked pro bono, and FEC documents show he wasn't getting paid at all by the Trump campaign... even though Manafort doesn't exactly seem like the type of person who would suddenly become optimistic and inspired about Making America Great Again that he'd leave his lucrative career to start doing his new job for free

And of course he has very close connections with Russian oligarchs who already have a lot of experience paying him under the table
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #314 on: March 03, 2017, 04:32:25 PM »

OH! Also the leaks from last fall that said the Russians have compromising material on Trump also said that Putin would reward Trump with 19% ownership in a Russian state-owned oil company if he got elected and could start removing the sanctions, and now suddenly 19% of the company is owned through a myriad web of shell companies that make it impossible to know who the real owner is
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #315 on: March 03, 2017, 06:33:35 PM »

OH! Also the leaks from last fall that said the Russians have compromising material on Trump also said that Putin would reward Trump with 19% ownership in a Russian state-owned oil company if he got elected and could start removing the sanctions, and now suddenly 19% of the company is owned through a myriad web of shell companies that make it impossible to know who the real owner is

Maybe this could be a good thing. Trump being wealthier may make him less insecure over time as each night he has sleeping on bed sheets made of 100 dollar bills (and rubles) should gradually make him into a more benevolent Donald.

Or, you know, so the fairy tale goes... Tongue
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #316 on: March 03, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »

Also watch for a big Exxon Mobil/Trump/Russia deal eventually that isn't allowed to happen now under Obama regulations.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #317 on: March 03, 2017, 07:02:45 PM »

I don't what's sadder the fact that Trump thinks his tweets about Chuck and Nancy somehow vindicate Sessions or that a lot of his supporters on twitter agree with him
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #318 on: March 03, 2017, 07:07:09 PM »

Doesn't Putin know that if the 19% Russian oil deal goes through (even through shell companies) and if Trump is pushed from office, the new US government will definitely move to seize the stake, thus giving a hostile entity significant influence and insight over Russia's only trump card (pardon the pun) on the global economy?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #319 on: March 03, 2017, 11:00:43 PM »

Links? I'm serious.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #320 on: March 03, 2017, 11:48:49 PM »

Links? I'm serious.

Here's a story on the sale of Rosneft to an apparently anonymous buyer:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-rosneft-privatisation-insight-idUSKBN1582OH

The promise to give Trump 19% comes from the story from Buzzfeed on the alleged British dossier, so that still has to be taken with a huge grain of salt. Plus, IIRC, the story said it would be contingent on Trump repealing sanctions. But 19% and 19.5% are awfully close numbers.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kenbensinger/these-reports-allege-trump-has-deep-ties-to-russia?utm_term=.ctqRrqa0e#.dspzgNAjd
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #321 on: March 04, 2017, 06:11:49 PM »

lol

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #322 on: March 04, 2017, 09:12:39 PM »

"Justice officials said Sessions met with Kislyak on Sept. 8 in his capacity as a member of the armed services panel rather than in his role as a Trump campaign surrogate."

Sounds legit.

I don't know why it is such a big deal to talk to the Russian Ambassador in the first place.

Seems like a pretty important relationship to get started to deal with Syria and the like.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #323 on: March 04, 2017, 09:15:18 PM »

I don't know why it is such a big deal to talk to the Russian Ambassador in the first place.

it is not in general...seemingly lying about it as part of an administration which was suspicious about those stuff before, is the problem.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #324 on: March 05, 2017, 08:44:16 AM »

Yeah,

But they wont sack him for that.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length