I'm a master's student in theology. AMA. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:14:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  I'm a master's student in theology. AMA. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I'm a master's student in theology. AMA.  (Read 10537 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: March 09, 2017, 05:02:11 PM »

Although you still don't know what you intend to do for a career after you graduate, what jobs would you say are most optimal for or popular among theology grads?  Are they generally best for people on the ordination path or work in academia, or are there other jobs for which such a degree might be appropriate (i.e. philanthropy, humanitarian work, etc.)?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 01:32:50 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2017, 01:38:59 AM by Senator Scott »

I had a discussion with my mom about the Trinity last week and my attempt at explaining it was rather... vivid in nature.  I mentioned a hypothetical landscape painting: the sky representing the Father; the grasslands, trees, and bodies of water representing the Son, and the Holy Spirit not immediately visible to the viewer's eye yet very much present in the painting as it contains the oxygen (which provides life), matter (all that is), and most importantly the physical laws which dictate the composition of the painting and the relationship between each section, with the viewer's eyes immediately drawn to the horizon ("the Father"), following the land and vegetation ("the Son").

(Obviously the last part becomes slightly problematic if we assume that the Son leads us to the Father and not the other way around.  I sort of came up with it on the spot, but being an artist myself I thought it was a decent allegory.)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 08:05:25 PM »

What proportion of your colleagues is non-cis and non-hetero?

I'm moving to Connecticut later this year (for UConn, so realistically probably eastern suburbs of Hartford).  As a Methodist-turned-Episcopalian, what should I be looking for?  I'm I fated to go to a UCC church?  (wtf is up with those weird individual pew thingies?  I'm scared I'd be stealing someone's pew.  help???)  Will I have any chance of finding a reasonably healthy liberal mainline church, or even one where there are any other adults my age?  (I have been so spoiled with my Maryland church!)

The UCC I attended in CT didn't have 'individual pews' really.  I didn't know that was a thing.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 10:20:51 PM »

What proportion of your colleagues is non-cis and non-hetero?

I'm moving to Connecticut later this year (for UConn, so realistically probably eastern suburbs of Hartford).  As a Methodist-turned-Episcopalian, what should I be looking for?  I'm I fated to go to a UCC church?  (wtf is up with those weird individual pew thingies?  I'm scared I'd be stealing someone's pew.  help???)  Will I have any chance of finding a reasonably healthy liberal mainline church, or even one where there are any other adults my age?  (I have been so spoiled with my Maryland church!)

The UCC I attended in CT didn't have 'individual pews' really.  I didn't know that was a thing.

I feel like I've seen multiple UCC churches with box pews when I've been searching around.

Huh.  That might be common in old New England churches because I rarely saw those in newer ones, although the church I attended was 250 years old and didn't have any boxes.  That might be because they renovated it a bunch of times, though.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 04:11:39 PM »

What are your next plans?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length