Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2017, 12:00:00 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Cast your Ballot in the 2016 Mock Election

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  EC supporters: Do you think any other place should have an "electoral college"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: EC supporters: Do you think any other place should have an "electoral college"?  (Read 5791 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 06:07:28 pm »
Ignore

Both Argentina and Brazil used to, though they eventually got rid of theirs.

The Handsome Monkey King Son Wukong weighs in on politics.
Compassion Fills the Void
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 11:38:19 pm »
Ignore

Germany not only uses an electoral college to elect its President, its the same way the EC was initially designed, with the states choosing the electors, not voters directly. Of course the President of Germany is mostly just a ceremonial office.

Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2017, 12:13:58 pm »
Ignore

It really would work in a country as geographically, demographically, politically, and culturally diverse and encompassing as our own. The Electoral College system is a uniquely American brand. I really can't see it being practiced anywhere else successfully in the world at this point.
India? Perhaps China when it becomes more democratic?

"Too often, we judge other(s)... by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions."

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
Figueira
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 08:39:06 pm »
Ignore

The 50 state governments and France (the two places mentioned by OP) are both examples of unitary governments, whereas an electoral college makes sense in a federal system.

In fact, very few democratic countries elect their chief executives directly.  The UK, Germany, Sweden, Japan, India all use parliamentary systems which, I would argue, is far more of an affront to democracy than the electoral college.
Care to explain why you think that?

Voters do not directly vote for their chief executive.  They vote for an MP who then votes for a Prime Minister in parliament.  The electoral college is a more direct election process, and it at least allows voters to illustrate a preference for a split legislative/executive branch.

What is someone to do if they love their local MP but hate that party's leader/candidate for PM?  or vice-versa? 

Same thing you do if you love Gregg Harper (or whoever, I don't know where in MS you are) but hate Paul Ryan?

Also your critique applies to the UK and India. It doesn't really apply to Germany, Sweden, or Japam.

Note: I am not actually British.

White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 11:56:55 am »
Ignore

The 50 state governments and France (the two places mentioned by OP) are both examples of unitary governments, whereas an electoral college makes sense in a federal system.

In fact, very few democratic countries elect their chief executives directly.  The UK, Germany, Sweden, Japan, India all use parliamentary systems which, I would argue, is far more of an affront to democracy than the electoral college.

Voters do not directly vote for their chief executive.  They vote for an MP who then votes for a Prime Minister in parliament.  The electoral college is a more direct election process, and it at least allows voters to illustrate a preference for a split legislative/executive branch.

What is someone to do if they love their local MP but hate that party's leader/candidate for PM?  or vice-versa? 

Same thing you do if you love Gregg Harper (or whoever, I don't know where in MS you are) but hate Paul Ryan?

Also your critique applies to the UK and India. It doesn't really apply to Germany, Sweden, or Japam.
The issue is that Paul Ryan isn't the nation's chief executive. The Prime Minister in the Westminster parliamentary system is the chief executive of the nation and isn't elected by the body populace.

What ever happens, will happen. My fate is in God's hands.
muon2
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2017, 01:42:17 pm »

The issue is that Paul Ryan isn't the nation's chief executive. The Prime Minister in the Westminster parliamentary system is the chiesf executive of the nation and isn't elected by the body populace.

That's because the drafters of the Constitution didn't want the President to owe anything to the votes of Congress, keeping with the idea of a separation of powers. The result was a body that numbered as many as Congress, but was independent of Congress.

Where will you be for the Great American Eclipse?
Figueira
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2017, 04:19:39 pm »
Ignore

The issue is that Paul Ryan isn't the nation's chief executive. The Prime Minister in the Westminster parliamentary system is the chief executive of the nation and isn't elected by the body populace.

But that's only a problem in Westminster systems, not in proportional systems.

Figueira
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2017, 10:48:02 pm »
Ignore

And for the record I think the Westminster system is just as flawed as the US system if not moreso, even though I like the aesthetic of it.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout