Police
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:41:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Police
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Police  (Read 1896 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2005, 10:06:59 PM »

Coming from a rural area with virtually no crime, I have a very pessimistic view of the force.  Police officers in my area generally do very little but sit around all day giving out tickets for going 7 over the speed limit.

Needless to say, a certain NWA song describes my attitude, hah.  In general, my friends and I are scared to hell of the police and use tricks like radar detectors, police radios, and radar jammers (illegal) to increase our odds.

How do you all feel about them?  I made this topic because I'm curious.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 10:36:37 PM »

I'm all for them and wish we had more visible forces around.  While they might be a pain when it comes to writing tickets and slowing down traffic, the do a lot for securing the area and responding in a timely fashion when called.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 10:40:33 PM »

Positive, for the most part.  I simply imagine what it'd be like if we had no police force and realize how much we take them for granted and fret about small things.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 10:53:29 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2005, 10:55:21 PM by Lunar »

I don't think that anyone who complains about the police wishes that they didn't exist.  However, I hate the system where police feel obligated to write tickets or the rednecks around where I live that feel the necessity to pointlessly exert their own authority.  The speed traps, racism, ageism, etc. all annoy the hell out of me.

I've never gotten so much as a parking ticket, parly because of luck and partly because I pay attention.  Maybe it's just because I've never physically seen a cop doing something useful, only pain-in-the-ass behavior.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 11:18:11 PM »

i have a negative view of most law enforcement agencies.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 03:35:32 AM »

I have a negative view of much of what they do, not of their existence. And I'm not talking about speeding and parking tickets, I approve of those. (And the latter aren't the cops' job in Germany, strictly speaking)
What I hate is that corps mentality that pervades them. Very hard to get a cop called for any wrongdoing...and needless to say there's lots of it...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 03:46:32 AM »

I would say lean Positive, but very mixed.  Obviously their would be chaos without them.  Most are good, but you have the scumbags who like to do the ticket raids & just be asses & you also have the asses who are corupt & in some cases down right racist.  Most cops are good cops, but their is still too much bs that goes on, strongly dislike the blue wall of silence
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 03:48:24 AM »

I have a negative view of much of what they do, not of their existence. And I'm not talking about speeding and parking tickets, I approve of those. (And the latter aren't the cops' job in Germany, strictly speaking)
What I hate is that corps mentality that pervades them. Very hard to get a cop called for any wrongdoing...and needless to say there's lots of it...

^^^^^^
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 04:02:24 AM »

Cops are a necessary thing, but some elements of their culture freak me out.  I wouldn't want to be on the bad side of one personally, nor date the sister of one.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 12:38:40 PM »

My experience with the Shelby Twp. police has been very positive. I think they do a great job.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 12:52:03 PM »

It varies. I've known good cops who just want to keep people safe, and I've known jackasses(my step-dad was one).
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 02:04:04 PM »

I love the police! Smiley Ever since I was 8 years old I've wanted to be one of them. Cheesy
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 02:11:46 PM »

I hold a lot of respect for those who put their lives on the line to defend good citizens.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 02:12:22 PM »

My ex husband is a cop in Dallas.
Generally they are nice enough if they trust you.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 02:25:46 PM »

My ex husband is a cop in Dallas.
Generally they are nice enough if they trust you.

Plus if you get to know them they will do neat stuff like set up speed traps on your street and watch your house while on vacation. Smiley
Cashcow

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 02:28:58 PM »

We need less police officers in my near-free-of-violent-crime suburbs and more in Camden.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 04:37:41 PM »

mostly positive, I'm always nice to them but thats mostly because of the power they have and I don't want to be on there bad side. yes There are bad cops out there but most seem to be ok. I've never really had a problem with the police.

another perspective

Although my brother is an asshole to the police and has like 12 unpaid parking tickets. Last week he was pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt, he was being a jerk to the cop. After they ran his record they saw all the tickets, so they asked him to get out of the car, my brother refused and demanded they tell him why and what they wanted. So according to him (I was not there) the cop punched him in the face them maced him (from what I gathered the punch wasn't really a hard punch but maybe a tap). He then tried to run away from the cop so she would stop macing him (the cop allegedly used the whole can on him). By now there were 9 cop cars there. He said he was thinking about making a run for it but decided against it. At the police station ( they held him overnight) he kept starring down the police officers and almost starting a fight with one saying "How about you let me out of here and we take this out back and fight so I can kick your ass".  The cop said "I'd love too"  his boss hear him and took the cop into another room and yelled at him.  They let him out the next day, but of course took his car (to Southwestern Detroit Mexicantown) and his license.  He had been Driving with no insurance and expired license plate tabs.  He says he's going to sue the police department for police brutality.  I can't believe thay gave us the car back without his license, and proof of insurance, we lied to them and told them I would drive it, when I went with him to get it the next day.
He is still driving his car with no license and insurance expired tabs and 10 unpaid parking tickets, his motto is  the police!
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 04:44:22 PM »

^^^^ Your brother sounds like one of the screwballs you seen in police chase videos. I have no sympathy for him. In fact I think there should be a law against being an idiot and your brother would be a likely candidate.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 06:15:54 PM »

I hold a lot of respect for those who put their lives on the line to defend good citizens.

^^^^^^^
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 06:32:52 PM »

Every conversation I've had with them locally includes them saying, "You live here?"
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 06:37:25 PM »

Every conversation I've had with them locally includes them saying, "You live here?"

Police stereotype a lot, and it's hard to blame them.  They see their stereotypes reinforced on a regular basis, much more so than the hypocritical liberals who hide from reality as they condemn fairly realistic stereotypes.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 07:08:16 PM »

I would strongly advise anyone who is not at least upper-middle class to be very wary of policemen.
PADem

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2005, 08:48:13 PM »

Mine is good. I've always wanted to be a cop and I've recently entered the recruitment process for the Philadelphia police department.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2005, 08:49:52 PM »

my cops are OK. living in a rural area, they tend to be bored and like to jump for the hell of it. (theyll come up your driveway and tell you youre DTP, just so they can have a conversation, not give you a fine, and then leave.)
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2005, 10:30:07 PM »

Mine is good. I've always wanted to be a cop and I've recently entered the recruitment process for the Philadelphia police department.

Good luck to you!!! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies