The White House Press Room (I'm resigning)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:00:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The White House Press Room (I'm resigning)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The White House Press Room (I'm resigning)  (Read 4441 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2017, 06:34:30 PM »

I am glad to hear the President seeks to end the failed war on drugs, that has only put non-violent drug users in prison and added to the burdens of poor communities and utterly failed to stop the spread of drugs. I would like to ask the President-at what level would these legalized drugs be regulated and taxed? Does the President believe this will lead to a significant increase in drug use?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2017, 06:42:54 PM »

By making these drugs legal, all it will do is to make it easier for addicts to access them easier, thereby running up the over dose rate tremendously.

You have obviously never had a loved one who OD'd on drugs.

Your arguments for legalizing these deadly drugs are laughable. 

You have completely and conveniently overlooked the human cost and the human tragedy in this ill conceived and short sighted proposal.

Shame on you.   

Shame indeed, as your support for social engineering has caused you to make wild assumptions and present your views in an arrogant and abrasive manner.

It is not the job of the government to legislate religious beliefs.

The human cost of the failed war on drugs has been immense.  If I were you, I would spend less time defending the inhumane prison industrial complex and a bit more time trying to embrace compassion and tolerance instead of punitive judgment.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2017, 06:56:40 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2017, 06:58:25 PM by Senator Scott »

Winfield sure is one to lecture about drug abuse, considering his... interesting past with alcohol abuse.

(source: TMZ)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 10:36:25 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2017, 10:40:59 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Winfield sure is one to lecture about drug abuse, considering his... interesting past with alcohol abuse.

Well, this is typical hysteria on the part of Senator Scott, and part of his continuing and childish hate campaign against my good person.  

Senator Scott knows full well that I have never touched a drop of alcohol in my entire life.

I rather suspect this is Senator Scott's feeble attempt to draw attention away from his clearly white supremacist sympathies.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 07:46:06 PM »

There seems to be a broad consensus across party lines regarding decriminalization and it's not like that trend appears to be reversible, but for the record I find this to be rather disappointing.

Hyperbolic comments from both sides aside, decriminalizing exceedingly harmful and dangerous drugs like cocaine is certainly not the direction in which the country should be moving.
diptheriadan

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2017, 09:21:09 PM »

I would imagine that by decriminalizing, it would save us money and allow us to focus more on rehabilitation rather than punishment, right?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2017, 09:23:55 PM »

For what it's worth, I have serious concerns about decriminalization and would like to see the legislation before praising it.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2017, 10:15:15 PM »

I was unaware that the cocaine lobby was seriously pushing for legalization. As always the ACP is very much opposed to the decriminalization of hard drugs on the people of Atlasia. Right now we are experiencing an epidemic of deaths associated with drug abuses. Why are we opening the floodgates when we have enough issues with Fetanyl.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2017, 10:37:18 PM »

BTW I'm interested to know if this bill decriminalizes possession of these drugs or selling of these drugs.  I am in favor of decriminalizing possession of all drugs because our country's focus on punishing, rather than rehabilitating, drug addicts is counterproductive to the goal of ending addiction.  I believe that selling small amounts of cocaine and hallucinogenic drugs to adults should also be decriminalized.  I do not support decriminalizing the sale of heroin, meth, PCP, or other hard drugs, especially to minors.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2017, 10:38:38 PM »

BTW I'm interested to know if this bill decriminalizes possession of these drugs or selling of these drugs.  I am in favor of decriminalizing possession of all drugs because our country's focus on punishing, rather than rehabilitating, drug addicts is counterproductive to the goal of ending addiction.  I believe that selling small amounts of cocaine and hallucinogenic drugs to adults should also be decriminalized.  I do not support decriminalizing the sale of heroin, meth, PCP, or other hard drugs, especially to minors.
possession
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2017, 09:53:57 AM »

Common serious health problems resulting from cocaine dependency include:

heart problems, including heart attacks
respiratory effects, including respiratory failure
nervous system problems, including strokes
digestive problems
contracting HIV and other diseases (by Injecting cocaine using shared needles)
serious skin infections
severe allergic reactions
death

Cocaine produces its euphoric effect in two ways:

Artificially increasing the release of dopamine
Preventing the normal re-absorption of dopamine back into the brain’s nerve cells

http://www.timberlineknolls.com/drug-addiction/cocaine/signs-effects/

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 12:22:41 PM »

For one thing, decriminalization does not mean "legalization".

It will still be illegal to traffic it, to produce it, to distribute it and so forth.

Second of all, the current system does not steer people towards rehab, it puts people in jail. And the recidivism rate is through the roof.

We need to steer people towards Rehab, and we passed a bill authored by 1184AZ to do just that, only to have the Senate vote it down.

Mr.X and I attempted a similar effort back in 2014 and was blocked then as well, by none other than TNF, who was indeed a hardcore drug legalizer.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 04:41:41 PM »

This is a thoroughly terrible idea and would do nothing to discourage drug trafficking by international cartels. It would in fact embolden their activities to deliver into the American market leading to further destabilization in communities along the Mexican borders and see further pressure onto remote communities in Central America.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 04:57:19 PM »

This is a thoroughly terrible idea and would do nothing to discourage drug trafficking by international cartels. It would in fact embolden their activities to deliver into the American market leading to further destabilization in communities along the Mexican borders and see further pressure onto remote communities in Central America.
It is so very disappointing that a party that claims to be for helping the poor, for ending these terrible things, is making an about face and instead embracing the war on drugs and not following the lead of our European friends such as Portugal, who have made substantial progress in places such as Portugal where people are free to get rehab without fear of prosecution, it would still be difficult to obtain cocaine considering you could not actually legally purchase it. I am ashamed of our present political system and its vast hypocrisy.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 05:03:52 PM »

I have nothing against decriminalization of cocaine to support rehabilitation, but going past that is where issues start to show. Likewise, I'm concerned as to what the "other drugs" are.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 05:05:11 PM »

Oh please, do you really think the best way to improve the lives of the poor is to decriminalize cocaine of all things? No, that has been and remains a libertarian fuelled fantasy upon which all other interest are sacrificed for pure necessity.

Seeing as you had no response for the fact that this would make drug addiction worse and increase the powers and financial profitability of drug cartels in Latin American countries which this country has already hollowed out through failed economic influence and consistent attempts at regime change, I'll just restate that now we'll make their lives even better by increasing the cocaine flow!

Since you raised the point of rehabilitation, it is an absolute con to act as if the money which is being used to fight illegal drug exploitation will somehow be magically funneled to help addicts. Why can't the funding simply not be appropriated now? Why can't regional and rural health clinics be given more funding now through public-private health partnerships. Rather, we are given a promise reminiscent of the Brexiteers last year: "Just support this and millions of pounds will be back next week for your hospital!"

What a flimsy and self-defeating idea. 
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 05:05:18 PM »

I have nothing against decriminalization of cocaine to support rehabilitation, but going past that is where issues start to show. Likewise, I'm concerned as to what the "other drugs" are.
Hi cxsmith! Essentially I plan on getting with Senator Scott to go on a case by case basis before we present any far sweeping bill to Congress, this will also allow Congress to amend some out or add some in, of course.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2017, 05:38:27 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJUXLqNHCaI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8L-0nSYzg
two interesting videos on this topic
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2017, 06:37:10 PM »

Oh please, do you really think the best way to improve the lives of the poor is to decriminalize cocaine of all things? No, that has been and remains a libertarian fuelled fantasy upon which all other interest are sacrificed for pure necessity.

Seeing as you had no response for the fact that this would make drug addiction worse and increase the powers and financial profitability of drug cartels in Latin American countries which this country has already hollowed out through failed economic influence and consistent attempts at regime change, I'll just restate that now we'll make their lives even better by increasing the cocaine flow!

Since you raised the point of rehabilitation, it is an absolute con to act as if the money which is being used to fight illegal drug exploitation will somehow be magically funneled to help addicts. Why can't the funding simply not be appropriated now? Why can't regional and rural health clinics be given more funding now through public-private health partnerships. Rather, we are given a promise reminiscent of the Brexiteers last year: "Just support this and millions of pounds will be back next week for your hospital!"

What a flimsy and self-defeating idea. 

Treating users and addicts the same way we treat child molesters and rapists does nothing to stop cartel activity.  Also, it's not as if we can't decriminalize possession and direct money to rehabilitation in the same bill.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2017, 08:47:16 PM »

Just what this nation needs, another generation of brain dead pot heads and crack addicted zombies.
Mr. Winfield (and others) with concerns, just know that decriminalizing drugs like this can help people get the treatment they need without having to worry about being prosecuted. In addition, if such things are decriminalized (or even legalized) it may make the drugs less #edgy and so teens will be less likely to smoke it IMO, things change. I will post figured when I get the legislation on the floor.
Why the hell would teenagers be less likely to do drugs, as it will still be against the law for minors to possess drugs. Unless you are wanting to de-criminalize drugs use for children?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »

Just what this nation needs, another generation of brain dead pot heads and crack addicted zombies.
Mr. Winfield (and others) with concerns, just know that decriminalizing drugs like this can help people get the treatment they need without having to worry about being prosecuted. In addition, if such things are decriminalized (or even legalized) it may make the drugs less #edgy and so teens will be less likely to smoke it IMO, things change. I will post figured when I get the legislation on the floor.
Why the hell would teenagers be less likely to do drugs, as it will still be against the law for minors to possess drugs. Unless you are wanting to de-criminalize drugs use for children?
uh it has happened with weed in all of the states which have legalized it so far (IRL)
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2017, 11:52:15 PM »

I would like to congratulate everyone in the South for yet another active and fascinating election in the South. We have entered a new era with a Centrist coalition/bipartisan majority of TimTurner, SouthernGothic, and Fhtagn being elected, this will ensure that the values I and we hold will be kept firm in the South. Not only that, but a pro-life majority of TimTurner, SouthernGothic, and Benkenobi has also arrived, yay! I look forward to seeing whether or not the Chamber is one large flame war between BenKenobi and JustinTimeCuber for another 2 months (which I am assuming it will be). In any given case, congratulations to everyone who has elected and I look forward to being highly disappointed in the lack of progress due to the constant flame war watching to see what gets done in this next session!
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2017, 08:00:26 PM »

Why have you signed The Absentee Voting Act of 2017 without asking for modification by Comgress? This act stipulates a regular ballot can replace an absentee ballot wile our current Electoral act does not allow such a replacement. We now have two laws on the books that contradicts each other and creates legal confusion.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2017, 08:02:34 PM »

Why have you signed The Absentee Voting Act of 2017 without asking for modification by Comgress? This act stipulates a regular ballot can replace an absentee ballot wile our current Electoral act does not allow such a replacement. We now have two laws on the books that contradicts each other and creates legal confusion.

The relevant section of the older law is effectively nullified by this new law.  I'll amend to strike the now-defunct section in upcoming legislation.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2017, 09:04:18 PM »

Everybody, I have enjoyed being President very much, I have not been able to do nearly as much as I had hoped in my Presidency, but we have gotten some good things done. However, as of late, particularly since I swore in for my 2nd term, I have become inactive and have not written a single bill. While I have signed all of the bills that have landed on my desk, I believe this is not enough. I am resigning from the Presidency tomorrow evening, at 8 PM Eastern / 7 PM Central. I hope that my future predecessors can be much more active than me, because Atlasia deserves someone who is more active than myself at this time. I am glad that healthcare reform, which is something that personally impacts me deeply in real life, will be the final bill for me to sign. Thank you and I appreciate everything the federalists and those who have voted for me since I first joined the game have done for me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies