should students be allowed to record instructors?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:46:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should students be allowed to record instructors?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: should students be allowed to record instructors?
yes (freedom)

no (authoritarian)

only with approval (moderate hero)

some forth thing (super moderate hero)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: should students be allowed to record instructors?  (Read 1774 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2017, 02:11:40 PM »

I just learned it's against the rules at some schools, seems weird to me.  What reason would there be for this rule other than to protect bad teachers?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 04:01:22 PM »

I have had some professors prohibit this. One said that she doesn't mind being audiotaped but not video (which I guess makes sense, for privacy, etc), while another banned it outright. Her reasoning was that it was her job to educate only her students, and thus if the video of a lecture winds up being disseminated by the broader public, it would be violating what she perceives to be the sanctity of the classroom.

I don't see why she would have a problem with her lectures being listened to by non-students on an audio format? If she's a poli-sci professor and we happen to be at the same barbecue somewhere for example, would she not want to talk about the subject with me since we're not in the classroom? It made no sense.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 05:23:29 PM »

I can see your professor's "point", Sanchez, but, as you stated, it has a lot of obvious weaknesses. Being in a class is more than just lecture material. Otherwise, professors would serve the same function as a textbook. Classes involve assignments, papers, assessments, questions asked after hours or by email, and official recognition of having performed to a certain level in regards to a certain subject.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 05:35:55 PM »

Only with approval, on the principle that teachers have the right to set behavior standards in class. It is not about recording specifically, but the teacher's authority generally. I know if I were a teacher, I would not want to be recorded. Only in very extreme cases would there be exceptions to this.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 08:29:08 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2017, 08:52:05 AM by muon2 »

I always viewed my lectures as my (or the university's by contract) intellectual property. If a student wanted to record them they should ask first, so I knew who would be using it and why. The student paid to see those lectures, but like paying to see a play or movie, that doesn't give the right to record it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »

We've been doing it all the time, and no professor minded.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 07:57:56 AM »

I always viewed my lectures as my (or the university's by contract) intellectual property. If a student wanted to record them they should ask first, so I knew who would be using it and why. The student paid to see those lectures, but like paying to see a play or movie, that doesn't give the right to record it.
Certain kinds of information should only be available to those with enough money*?

*or ability to accumulate grants and scholarships and such
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »

This is my feeling as well. Preparing lectures can be hard work and shouldn't be reappropriated without permission. Plus lectures often include other copyrighted material if you're using a publisher's slides, for example.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 10:16:07 AM »

Certain kinds of information should only be available to those with enough money*?

*or ability to accumulate grants and scholarships and such

Information contained in almost every lecture ever is publicly available for free if you know where to look. The specific instance on the information constitutes an intellectual act. It's like the plot summary of a film being freely available but not the film itself.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 01:10:14 PM »

Are you checking at the door for computers, cell phones, and other recording devices? There are a slew of good reasons for wanting recordings kept out of the classroom, but when every student is carrying a cell phone and a laptop (even if they're not allowed to use them in a particular class), I fail to see how any instructor could stop someone with even minimal determination from doing it over any objections.

Most of that is for personal use, and should be discouraged without permission. When it goes beyond that, I recognize piracy happens in all areas of intellectual property. Just because it happens doesn't mean it should be condoned.
Rjjr77
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 01:37:13 PM »

It should be entirely up to the school. I think every public institution should allow it, but I can't force my views on their administration
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 05:42:38 PM »

I can see your professor's "point", Sanchez, but, as you stated, it has a lot of obvious weaknesses. Being in a class is more than just lecture material. Otherwise, professors would serve the same function as a textbook. Classes involve assignments, papers, assessments, questions asked after hours or by email, and official recognition of having performed to a certain level in regards to a certain subject.

It's probably more of an issue now, in the Coursera/edX era as many universities are trying to create a new revenue stream by having people pay to take mini-online courses through these platforms in exchange for a "certificate" that doesn't actually mean anything.

They don't want any lecture recordings coming out that they can't make money off of.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 09:16:23 AM »

It should always be prohibited.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length