If you were a male, adult passenger on the Titanic..........
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:51:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  If you were a male, adult passenger on the Titanic..........
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you were a male, adult passenger on the Titanic..........  (Read 2938 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2017, 03:08:20 PM »

If you were a male, adult passenger on the Titanic in 1912 during the sinking, would you disguise yourself as a woman to get into a life boat?

Or would you take your chances and dive into the water?

Or would you simply go down with the ship?

Please discuss.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 03:12:01 PM »

I wish myself to be in Morocco or something instead of on a sinking ship. And I do this with my pink and green fairy godparents oddly colored fish.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »

None of us possibly knows until such situation actually happens.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 03:15:28 PM »

If I was still a young man, I'd make sure I've done all I can to get the children THEN the ladies in to lifeboats.  After that I'd look for something "floatable" with my mates and then try and stay near the life boats and out of the water....obviously much easier said than done, but I would have been fighting like a mothertrucker right up until my core temp dropped too low to maintain consciousness.

Now, I'd still make sure the kids and women folk got on the lifeboats....but I probably wouldn't turn down an offer to be part of the crew on one.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 03:15:52 PM »

WI: Scissors. A disguise is fleeting, but a severed...place is forever.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 03:17:15 PM »

None of us possibly knows until such situation actually happens.
history tells us most of the time most people keep their composure in such situations.  Yes, there are exceptions, and you or I may be one of them...but more than likely not.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »

If I were a first class passenger I'd try to help people onto the boats as much as possible with the hope that somehow I might be saved in the end.

If I were in steerage I'd probably go looking for the booze stores and get myself blackout drunk and never wake up.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 04:13:42 PM »

If I was still a young man, I'd make sure I've done all I can to get the children THEN the ladies in to lifeboats.  After that I'd look for something "floatable" with my mates and then try and stay near the life boats and out of the water....obviously much easier said than done, but I would have been fighting like a mothertrucker right up until my core temp dropped too low to maintain consciousness.

Now, I'd still make sure the kids and women folk got on the lifeboats....but I probably wouldn't turn down an offer to be part of the crew on one.

Yep, pretty much this.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 04:27:28 PM »

Let's not kid ourselves. All of you would choose self-preservation, and that is a good thing. Such instincts are what keep our species alive. There is no heroism in dying for those you do not know unless it is for a greater cause such as in war or to preserve public safety/order, especially if there is no guarantee that your individual actions would actually affect the outcome.

So no, I'm not ashamed to say that I would get in a life boat, although in an even more extreme hypothetical scenario where there was literally one space on the last life boat and it was between me and a child or a beautiful woman, of course I would give up the spot for the greater good of humanity.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 04:37:34 PM »

So no, I'm not ashamed to say that I would get in a life boat, although in an even more extreme hypothetical scenario where there was literally one space on the last life boat and it was between me and a child or a beautiful woman, of course I would give up the spot for the greater good of humanity.

lol
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 06:50:02 PM »

Winfield, why do you have to end your threads with "..........."? To make an additional point or something?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 08:34:16 PM »

I hope I would. I have something of a "just follow the rules" tendency that should help me do the right thing in in times like these.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 08:40:11 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2017, 08:42:18 PM by PennsyltuckyDem »

I'd get drunk because that's how that chef on the Titanic survived.  He was so intoxicated he was numb.

But if there were kids on that ship and it was going down, I'd go down with the ship.  Particularly if I was a first class passenger - I wouldn't want my legacy to be that I got in a lifeboat while hundreds of kids drowned.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 07:31:51 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2017, 07:45:12 AM by Alex »

I never understood the part about saving women first, but then again I dislike that whole traditional chivalry thing
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 08:04:29 AM »

How many children would need to die to outweigh the expected value of a chance to prevent, mitigate, or alter WWI based on the time traveler's advance knowledge of events?

How many children would need to die in order to trigger a reverse-butterfly effect that undos the beginning of slavery in the United States?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »

Winfield, why do you have to end your threads with "..........."? To make an additional point or something?

For emphasis.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »

It's easy to be brave in imaginary situations (for instance, I'm sure all of us here would have gladly joined the resistance in any occupied country during WW2), and impossible to say for sure, but I could guess...

If I had friends or family on the boat, I believe that I would have tried to save them before getting on a lifeboat, particularly the women and children.
If I were travelling alone, knowing no one else there, and particularly if there were people depending on me at home - honestly, I would probably do anything to get on one of those lifeboats ASAP, short of anything outright criminal or ridiculously immoral.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »

It is impossible for any of us to tell what we'd do in that situation.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 03:43:09 AM »

I would George Castanza it and get outta there on a piece of debris....
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 04:11:32 PM »

It's easy to be brave in imaginary situations (for instance, I'm sure all of us here would have gladly joined the resistance in any occupied country during WW2), and impossible to say for sure, but I could guess...

If I had friends or family on the boat, I believe that I would have tried to save them before getting on a lifeboat, particularly the women and children.
If I were travelling alone, knowing no one else there, and particularly if there were people depending on me at home - honestly, I would probably do anything to get on one of those lifeboats ASAP, short of anything outright criminal or ridiculously immoral.

dax00

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 10:30:32 PM »

i would try my best to get the members of my family whom i actually like on lifeboats first. then come the 5 close guys i care about. then anything to save myself. screw everybody else.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 02:06:56 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2017, 02:11:15 AM by AMA IL TUO PRESIDENTE! »

(for instance, I'm sure all of us here would have gladly joined the resistance in any occupied country during WW2)

LOL no, I'm fully aware of the fact that I'd keep my head down and my mouth shut all through.

I'd say this is very different, though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies