This is the greatest 2016 election-related article I've ever read
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 05:32:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  This is the greatest 2016 election-related article I've ever read
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: This is the greatest 2016 election-related article I've ever read  (Read 2548 times)
🕴🏼Melior🕴🏼
Melior
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2017, 06:05:43 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 03:25:02 PM »

I can prove people hating Hillary has nothing to do with her being a woman:

Did the left relentlessly attack Sarah Palin in 2008 because she was a woman?
Cashew
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 07:06:36 PM »

That must be why female governors are so unpopular.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 07:16:28 PM »

Palin is an utter moron.

I say that as someone who voted for McCain.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 08:54:01 PM »

If Mitt Romney in an alternative universe were the all but known Republican nominee for the 4-5 years heading into 2016 and he seemed like he would inevitably become the next president, I really wouldn't be surprised if significant resentment developed for him by election day with the whole anti establishment, anti globalist dynamics coming into play so heavily in this election. Hillary's problem was that she was so easily definable by her political opponents in the same way that Mitt Romney was and that's a significant reason she lost.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 11:56:52 PM »

Hillary 2016 was the biggest trainwreck in electoral history, and that includes Scott 1852, McLellan 1864, Cox 1920, Goldwater 1964, and McGovern 1972. She only won the popular vote because Trump liked making offensive remarks all the time.

BTW, in real life, people hated Hillary due to the email scandal.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 12:11:23 AM »

That must be why female governors are so unpopular.
Yup, all 4 of them currently in office!
(and half the states have never had a female governor, and only 7 states have had more than 1... and this is counting wives who were appointed upon their husbands' deaths)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 12:28:26 AM »

Actually, yes, I think subconscious sexism is in large part why Palin was such a lighting rod while male Republicans even further right and less well-spoken than her weren't.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 01:09:36 AM »

Anyone who denies that sexism played any role at all, even a very small one, in Clinton's loss is deluding themselves. The narratives that exist about Hillary Clinton wouldn't exist to the same extent for Hank Clinton. Republicans would have disliked Hank Clinton, since he would still have a (D) next to his name, but we probably wouldn't hear cries of "lock him up!" or "Trump that... asshole?" Perhaps a majority of Donald Trump voters would vote for Donna Trump in a general election, but that just means that partisan loyalty is an even stronger force than sexism. Donna Trump wouldn't have made it anywhere in a Republican primary, though, since many people would be saying, "God, she's an abrasive, b*tchy, bossy, shrill, whiny little c***."
Eharding

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 01:30:25 AM »

Anyone who denies that sexism played any role at all, even a very small one, in Clinton's loss is deluding themselves. The narratives that exist about Hillary Clinton wouldn't exist to the same extent for Hank Clinton. Republicans would have disliked Hank Clinton, since he would still have a (D) next to his name, but we probably wouldn't hear cries of "lock him up!" or "Trump that... asshole?" Perhaps a majority of Donald Trump voters would vote for Donna Trump in a general election, but that just means that partisan loyalty is an even stronger force than sexism. Donna Trump wouldn't have made it anywhere in a Republican primary, though, since many people would be saying, "God, she's an abrasive, b*tchy, bossy, shrill, whiny little c***."

-Hillary's being a woman was literally Her only widely agreed-upon asset as a candidate in public opinion polls. Enough with the revisionist BS. I'm nearly certain she would have lost the popular vote had she been a man.

We would very much hear cries of "lock him up". Hank Clinton would look like even more a scoundrel than HRC with that email server matter (the most covered story of the campaign).

Donald Trump would easily have won had he been a woman. He would almost certainly have won the popular vote, as well.

Was sexism responsible for Obama's '08 primary victory, as well?

Sexism did not play any role at all in Clinton's loss. Corporate feminist BS played a huge role in Her popular vote win. Remember, a majority of voters are women.
ahugecat

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 02:06:21 AM »

Actually, yes, I think subconscious sexism is in large part why Palin was such a lighting rod while male Republicans even further right and less well-spoken than her weren't.
Was it really subconscious? Many were pretty hateful to Sarah and loved calling her the c word.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »

Do people hate Mike Pence?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 11:28:37 AM »

It wasn't because of the emails specifically. Mostly it wasn't about her sex either. It was more about her having all the cons of a politician without many of the pros. She wasn't charismatic at all, offered little in the way of change, was transparently and blatantly politically pandering, lacked any sort of ideological or moral core and willing to change her position on a whim if popular opinion suddenly changed, seemed to play by a different set of legal rules, was given her entire political career more or less through nepotism, was propped up by sycophants and forced down people's throats by anti-democratic party and media mechanisms, divided with crass identity-based pitches, and ultimately seemed to care far more about herself than anyone else (Her campaign was #I'mWithHer, not #She'sWithUs). Anyone who wants to be President as badly as she clearly did yet lacks a central policy-based thesis in favor of a personal aggrandizement (especially when your person isn't particularly praiseworthy to begin with) will never connect with voters.
ahugecat

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 11:34:25 AM »

I don't like her because she attacked video games over 10 years ago.

But also because she is for amnesty. That was my biggest issue. My biggest issues are:

1. Amnesty (no amnesty!)
2. Law and order (pro-death penalty, pro-mass incarceration)
3. Trade deals (fair trade, not free)
4. Legal immigration (less H1B Visas, less immigration overall)
5. Foreign wars (no war with Russia, Iran, etc. etc.)

Remember Jeb Bush also got trounced by Trump, and Clinton is the female Jeb Bush.
Eharding

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 11:46:21 AM »

-That scandal has not been covered anywhere near to the HRC one's levels. He also comes off as more likeable in his personality (Reaganish). I don't like him.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 12:55:23 PM »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »

Oh ing christ the Democrats are gonna lose in 2020.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 01:52:14 PM »

Still not sure what is so threatening about admitting that some sexism exists, but of course all these responses are to be expected. Roll Eyes
Eharding

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 02:28:33 PM »

Still not sure what is so threatening about admitting that some sexism exists, but of course all these responses are to be expected. Roll Eyes

-Nobody here is denying some sexism exists. People are just pointing out it had zero impact on the election result, and was more than canceled out by people only voting for Hillary because "muh first woman prez".
ahugecat

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 04:25:21 PM »

Sexism exists - but it also goes the other way. How many people voted because she was a woman? That's just as bad as refusing to vote for her because she is a woman.

Plus, the left was absolutely ruthless to Sarah Palin in 2008. Was it because of sexism or they disagreed with her policies? Matt Damon looked like he was about to collapse from freaking out over Palin in 2008: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6urw_PWHYk

Was it because Sarah is a woman or because Matt disagreed with her policies and didn't think she had experience? Come on!

I don't like Hillary not because she's a woman, but for the same reason I disliked Jeb Bush. Establishment politician who is controlled by donors and wants amnesty. Simple as that. Trump voters also made a fool of Jeb Bush and he wasn't a woman!
🕴🏼Melior🕴🏼
Melior
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.17

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 07:54:25 PM »

If people hate Hillary because of her emails, why don't they hate Bush or Romney? As the article points out, Romney and Bush did the exact same thing Hillary did but no one cared when they did it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 08:43:53 PM »

No one should deny Hillary made campaign mistakes and there were good reasons to dislike her, but the hatred of her was out of this world. When "Lock Her Up" is a repeated campaign refrain enough that a presidential candidate threatens another with the loss of her liberties on a debate stage, you've entered uncharted territory. As Emma Gray points out in Huffington Post, 84 percent of Trump supporters thought she should be sent to prison, while 40 percent said she was an "actual demon." It's not just Trump supporters either. Some (not all) of the Sanders supporters were insane, coming up with all sorts of conspiracy theories about how she'd rigged the primaries, and one official even got a phone message saying she should be lynched because Bernie didn't come out of the Nevada caucus (which he lost) with more delegates. It's one thing for a candidate to be bad and unpopular, but the unprecedented level of vitriol and groundbreaking attacks on Hillary from all sides was more than any male major party nominee has ever faced in recent times.
ahugecat

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »

If people hate Hillary because of her emails, why don't they hate Bush or Romney? As the article points out, Romney and Bush did the exact same thing Hillary did but no one cared when they did it.
People hate Romney as much as Clinton, no?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 12:23:10 PM »

No one should deny Hillary made campaign mistakes and there were good reasons to dislike her, but the hatred of her was out of this world. When "Lock Her Up" is a repeated campaign refrain enough that a presidential candidate threatens another with the loss of her liberties on a debate stage, you've entered uncharted territory. As Emma Gray points out in Huffington Post, 84 percent of Trump supporters thought she should be sent to prison, while 40 percent said she was an "actual demon." It's not just Trump supporters either. Some (not all) of the Sanders supporters were insane, coming up with all sorts of conspiracy theories about how she'd rigged the primaries, and one official even got a phone message saying she should be lynched because Bernie didn't come out of the Nevada caucus (which he lost) with more delegates. It's one thing for a candidate to be bad and unpopular, but the unprecedented level of vitriol and groundbreaking attacks on Hillary from all sides was more than any male major party nominee has ever faced in recent times.

I actually agree that Clinton being a woman was a net drag on her in the general election.  *However*, I also wonder if what you describe above is something that would have happened to any "establishment" Democrat running against Sanders and Trump in 2016 who didn't have a squeaky clean past.

The reason why previous candidates didn't have their opponent threatening jail against them on the debate stage is because previous candidates weren't running against Donald Trump.  Trump is willing to break every norm of behavior that his predecessors would not.  If John McCain or Mitt Romney had been Clinton's opponent last year, they would not have been saying those same things on the debate stage.

And even in the Democratic primary, I think much of the Sanders critique of "establishment politics" would have proved damaging to any other establishment candidate he was running against.  Now, unlike Trump, Sanders wasn't mean-spirited in his criticism.  He didn't push the envelope, and in fact, he didn't even run a single negative ad.  *However*, as we were discussed in this thread last week, his critique of anyone to his political right is basically the corruption angle--that they're being swayed by big money contributions.  While he doesn't get personal about it, I think this does tend to activate many of his supporters into being suspicious of his opponent on ethics grounds.  And this probably would have happened with any Democratic opponent of Sanders who was running to his right.  I know people will criticize me for quoting Chait again, but I think this is basically right:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/09/why-cant-america-see-that-clinton-is-flawed-but-normal.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I do wonder if this is now a long-term feature of intra-Democratic Party split, which will hurt the electability of "establishment" candidates going forward.  Will Booker or Gillibrand struggle in a hypothetical 2020 matchup against Trump because the progressive wing of the party will be skeptical of them in a way that they wouldn't have been 10 years ago?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 07:36:17 PM »

Articles like this are why President Trump won. The fact you do not realize that is emblematic of the left wing's lack of relation to the average American.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies