Is suicide wrong in this hypothetical?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:14:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is suicide wrong in this hypothetical?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is suicide wrong in this hypothetical?  (Read 2263 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2017, 07:19:23 AM »
« edited: February 27, 2017, 07:25:30 AM by Senator Scott »

Suppose there is a person who lives a rather healthy, but barren life.  He has no family and no real friends, and no one who'd ever known him would care if he died and they knew about it.  This man, who has spent most of his years isolated from society, is very self-reliant and owes no duties or obligations to anyone.  He has no family to support and makes his own modest living doing freelance work for clients with whom he never associates again.  The man, finding no real purpose in his life and having no desire to go about changing it, commits suicide.

Has a moral wrong been done?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 07:46:49 AM »

That he has no desire for change and yet is considering suicide seems contradictory to me. As the old song goes, "suicide ... brings on many changes". Also, while modern society does make it easier to live a less connected life, we all have connections.

So, because I find your hypothetical inconsistent, I refuse to answer it.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:53:15 AM »
« Edited: February 27, 2017, 07:55:04 AM by Senator Scott »

That he has no desire for change and yet is considering suicide seems contradictory to me. As the old song goes, "suicide ... brings on many changes". Also, while modern society does make it easier to live a less connected life, we all have connections.

So, because I find your hypothetical inconsistent, I refuse to answer it.

That was sloppy phrasing on my part.  It's a quarter to 8 and I haven't had any sleep.

By that I mean he has no desire to change his life so that he no longer feels suicidal, whether it's talking to a psychiatrist or reaching out to people he can build personal relationships with (as a psychiatrist likely would advise him to do).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:25 AM »

I have and feeling you're alluding to yourself--to at least some extent--and recommend you cease this line of thought immediately.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 09:57:01 AM »

I have and feeling you're alluding to yourself--to at least some extent--and recommend you cease this line of thought immediately.

I did not intend and I do not want to make this thread about me in any way.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »

Suicide is always wrong.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 01:53:10 PM »

I did not intend and I do not want to make this thread about me in any way.

Every post we make is about us, in one way or another.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »

No, it isn't wrong
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 01:13:53 AM »

Uh Scott, your questions are making me start to worry about you Sad

I have always enjoyed your contributions to this board. I am rooting for you man.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 09:28:27 PM »

G.K. Chesterton had this gem of wisdom to say on the matter.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 11:11:28 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2017, 11:13:44 PM by AMA IL TUO PRESIDENTE! »

G.K. Chesterton had this gem of wisdom to say on the matter.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

To put it politely, what a load of despicable, self-righteous bullsh*t.

Here's a revolutionary idea: what if, instead of guilting and shaming people who feel so desperate from their existence as to take the ultimate leap into the dark, we tried to build a society that doesn't push people into such desperation?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 03:25:52 AM »

Suicide is bad. But on the other hand ...

Let me ask a question. Shouldn't suicide be acceptable if say, you developed Alzheimer's and knew that this disease, with no cure, would rob you of your autonomy and independence, isn't death a better option?

the point is suicide is not always irrational and we shouldn't treat it as such. Fwiw, I don't know enough information about the hypothetical presented so I can't comment in detail.

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread, I can make my own if needed.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 07:08:44 AM »

Uh Scott, your questions are making me start to worry about you Sad

I have always enjoyed your contributions to this board. I am rooting for you man.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to worry anyone.  As I told Tony in a PM, I've just been contemplating life a lot lately.  I don't like talking about my own problems with this stuff on a public forum.  But I will be okay.

And yes, that Chesterton quote has to be the most asinine thing I've ever read anyone say about this subject, ever.  Just what kind of pompous, uncompassionate scumbag would tell someone who genuinely wishes to end their life, someone who is at a point of such grave desperation that they see no other escape from the pain they experience every waking moment of their life, that acting on their desire makes them morally inferior to a rapist or a thief or a murderer?  What a bunch of pretentious, unadulterated nonsense.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 08:17:12 AM »

And yes, that Chesterton quote has to be the most asinine thing I've ever read anyone say about this subject, ever.  Just what kind of pompous, uncompassionate scumbag would tell someone who genuinely wishes to end their life, someone who is at a point of such grave desperation that they see no other escape from the pain they experience every waking moment of their life, that acting on their desire makes them morally inferior to a rapist or a thief or a murderer?  What a bunch of pretentious, unadulterated nonsense.

Why does it even matter what he tells them? The only reason you'd want to avoid being compared to a rapist or a thief or a murderer, is if you still cared for the things of this world.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 06:44:35 PM »

I don't think Chesterton was trying to degrade the person in any way, but highlight how serious and awful the act is. It was also written in the era of the overly-manly-man meme and his language probably reflects that a bit, but I really don't think it should be read as just trying to belittle the people going through those issues.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 06:40:01 PM »

No, it's tragic, but it is not a sin.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 12:17:21 AM »

People who commit suicide find no peace in death either.  And even if you don't believe in God, would you really want to find out if that is true or not? 
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 12:21:14 AM »

Suicide is always wrong, unnatural, and cowardly. (other than perhaps for a greater purpose such as to protect state secrets after being captured by an enemy)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 12:15:37 PM »

No

(though how you do it might be)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 03:40:56 AM »

The right to life can only be ended by one's own self, yes, but while it may be moral (or at least, in this extreme hypothetical) that still does not make it a rational action if other means to improve one's life are still availiable.

Suicide is justified when the dust keeps falling into your hair because the bunker took it's fourth direct hit from a Soviet tank and the Reichstag is burning above you. I don't see anything in this scenario given that seems to indicate a need to end one's life, and the only problem (loneliness) can be overcome with greater socialization. Easier said than done, I know. I tire of hearing that too. But even then, medication is still an option. Therapy is still an option. Talking to the mail man is an option.

I shared Cathcon's concerns though I accept your explanation, Scott. Are there rational reasons to commit suicide? Yes. But they are exceedingly rare. You'd have to be in the same sort of situation as those trapped in the upper floors of the World Trade Center, or if the demon that was inside of little Reagan MacNeil has been transferred to you like in The Exorcist.

Suicide is always wrong, unnatural, and cowardly. (other than perhaps for a greater purpose such as to protect state secrets after being captured by an enemy)
It can be a revolutionary act. Case in point, the monks who immolated themselves. You can call it wrong, unnatural, immoral, etc, but I've always thought that it takes a lot of balls to do it. I don't know what comes next for sure and I know that I'll never know that. Why would anyone want to take the chance?

Plus, it generally speaking isn't a very pleasant thing to do. Hanging oneself sounds horrible, especially if they get cold feet after kicking the chair out from under them. Shooting oneself can end with the victim surviving but crippled physically. Imagine trying to kill yourself and ending up as a quadriplegic for God's sake!

Frankly, though I've grappled with depression my entire life, and while I've certainly wanted to die in a few particularly bad (but also brief and few and far between) phases, I've never once actually seriously considered suicide. I couldn't then, can't now, and won't ever be able to do it. I just can't. I can't put my family through it, even if I were blaming them for the hypothetical. I can't leave the guys who work at the liquor store across the street from me who I barely know, so just imagine how I think about this subject having a disabled brother who will need me to be his guardian after my parents go. Just not an option. 

I wish we would be able to have a serious discussion on the ethics of suicide, but I'm extremely paranoid of being misinterpreted. It's happened before on this subject and it almost got me sent to a hospital in the third grade, so I can't highlight that enough.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 03:02:51 PM »

Now a days since the shooting of Gabby Giffords the mortality rate has gone up for attempted shootings.

The threat of paralysis just like what happened to Giffords outweighs the risk of death.  And to even attempt a suicide is taking that risk of paralysis. So, yes it is wrong.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies