HOUSE BILL: Return Education To the Regions Act (Passed - Sent to the VP/PPT)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:14:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE BILL: Return Education To the Regions Act (Passed - Sent to the VP/PPT)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: HOUSE BILL: Return Education To the Regions Act (Passed - Sent to the VP/PPT)  (Read 9755 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »

I am going to hold off on processing this amendment until we can get a better number.

I doubt many schools would be helped as few districts would have such a small operating budget.

I agree, I used the numbers from the last amendment because I'm not that smart with numbers, and prefer if some one else handled those.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time last time to get on this and my work schedule is murderous the next few days.

No problem, anyone else in this house could propose some numbers.

Throwing something out there for now, my initial guess would be a number somewhere in the low millions, but that isn't based on any research or anything. That my plan originally was to basically search the lowest budget Local Education Authority, and find out what their numbers were.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2017, 11:56:01 AM »

I will do what Yankee suggested later today and propose an amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2017, 02:09:21 AM »

I guess later is never going to come.

I am going to throw Leinad on this, since I assume he is going to be joining us sometime today as a member.

Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2017, 05:35:27 AM »

I found this: http://www.governing.com/topics/education/gov-education-funding-states.html
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2017, 06:01:23 AM »

I will review the information later.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2017, 03:51:20 AM »

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2015/09/25/richest-and-poorest-school-districts/7/

This is better.

It says the poorest district (by income of course) spends 2.2 million in just district funding. Several of the others in the top ten were in the 4 million range. I saw one in the 3 million range.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2017, 04:01:38 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2017, 04:07:09 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Atlasian People's House of Representatives
Pending
[/quote]

Re-offering Enduro's provisional amendment text, updated to reflect subsequent research.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2017, 03:48:26 AM »

Sponsor?!!!

ONEJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2017, 10:40:35 AM »

I'm not even the sponsor of this bill. Tongue

My main concern is cutting the budget. What is the budget for education as of right now?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2017, 10:42:57 AM »

The budget would, most likely, be made up through additional spending from the regions in education.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2017, 05:12:47 PM »

The implication is you are to find the sponsor. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2017, 05:13:53 PM »

The budget would, most likely, be made up through additional spending from the regions in education.

Yes, this is actually a concrete way of actually doing what Clyde1998 wants to "form a commission" to "talk about" doing. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2017, 11:39:20 PM »

I was expecting that to generate a response. Tongue  Work with me people!

My main concern is cutting the budget. What is the budget for education as of right now?

Here is the thing. The goal of Clyde's commission is to send issues back towards the regions. There are three means by which to do this in terms of legislation content.

1) Abrupt and total relocation of the issue to the regions. - This would cuase massive disruptions and gaps in funding for areas with less resources
2) A total relocation, phased in over time - This removes the shock effects, which could be devastating, but still leaves gaps for impoverished areas.
3) A piecemeal relocation of the responsibility, combined with a significant amount of "support" in the form of said resources - my preferred course.

However, on any issue, you will face the same big concerns.

If this Congress cannot structure such a transition, even with the 3rd path, then I have no faith that the commission's recommendations will be implemented, assuming even that the commission comes to an agreement, which would likely be a difficulty if Congress likewise is unable to act on its own.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2017, 01:15:08 PM »

Here is the thing. The goal of Clyde's commission is to send issues back towards the regions. There are three means by which to do this in terms of legislation content.

1) Abrupt and total relocation of the issue to the regions. - This would cuase massive disruptions and gaps in funding for areas with less resources
2) A total relocation, phased in over time - This removes the shock effects, which could be devastating, but still leaves gaps for impoverished areas.
3) A piecemeal relocation of the responsibility, combined with a significant amount of "support" in the form of said resources - my preferred course.

If this Congress cannot structure such a transition, even with the 3rd path, then I have no faith that the commission's recommendations will be implemented, assuming even that the commission comes to an agreement, which would likely be a difficulty if Congress likewise is unable to act on its own.
My preferred method is for any federal program/law in the 'devolved' area remaining in place until the region decides to replace it. They'd become responsible for funding of their regional programs after a certain date; perhaps a month by month increase of their percentage funding:

Month 1 - 90% federal; 10% regional
Month 2 - 80% federal; 20% regional
Month 3 - 70% federal; 30% regional (etc.)

This way the regions are given time to pass new programs and adjust their taxation policy to ensure that funding is available for the programs. This could be achieved temporary via block grants, as well.

Option 3 is my second preference - the only issue that I have with it is that each piece of legislation would be separate and there would be no unified legislation which could get confusing after a while.

The commission would, obviously, recommend what should be devolved, but it would be for Congress to complete the process and to determine the final process for which it happens.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2017, 12:00:14 AM »

My preferred method is for any federal program/law in the 'devolved' area remaining in place until the region decides to replace it. They'd become responsible for funding of their regional programs after a certain date; perhaps a month by month increase of their percentage funding:

Month 1 - 90% federal; 10% regional
Month 2 - 80% federal; 20% regional
Month 3 - 70% federal; 30% regional (etc.)

This way the regions are given time to pass new programs and adjust their taxation policy to ensure that funding is available for the programs. This could be achieved temporary via block grants, as well.

Option 3 is my second preference - the only issue that I have with it is that each piece of legislation would be separate and there would be no unified legislation which could get confusing after a while.

The commission would, obviously, recommend what should be devolved, but it would be for Congress to complete the process and to determine the final process for which it happens.

Keep in mind though, that comprehensive legislation has a terrible history in this game, of getting canned because "it was too complex" to follow along. Tongue

So it is a double edged sword. Multiple bills becomes confusing, one large bill can be even worse.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2017, 12:13:54 AM »

Okay we are going to have come up with some plan here in the next few days.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #116 on: August 08, 2017, 10:34:28 PM »

Haven't had a chance to completely look all of this over and form an opinion, but bumping this so we don't forget it exists Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2017, 06:03:08 PM »

Haven't had a chance to completely look all of this over and form an opinion, but bumping this so we don't forget it exists Tongue

Has this changed in the past 10 days? Tongue
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2017, 06:13:28 PM »

Pending

Re-offering Enduro's provisional amendment text, updated to reflect subsequent research.
[/quote]

a little confusing to follow since this has been going on for so long, but is this the current version of the bill we are looking at?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2017, 06:19:11 PM »

I think so.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2017, 06:23:31 PM »

If that's the case I really have no issues with it, though I imagine some of the dates in the bill would probably need to be updated Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2017, 06:30:03 PM »

I am sure the SoIA can, "catch up". Tongue
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2017, 08:50:48 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2017, 09:19:08 AM by Representative LouisvilleThunder »

Pending

a little confusing to follow since this has been going on for so long, but is this the current version of the bill we are looking at?
[/quote]
I like this bill. I agree with the proposed amendment. I changed the date of the activation of spending cuts from July 1st to October 1st as listed in bold and italics. Let's let the new congressional members have a chance to discuss this bill and hopefully we will vote on this.
Peebs, you've assumed sponsorship of this bill during a previous Congress. Please comment on it.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2017, 09:12:38 AM »

I am in line with the changes from July 1st to October 1st.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #124 on: September 12, 2017, 03:11:50 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2017, 03:15:09 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

Sponsor Feedback: Pending Feedback
Status: Awaiting Feedback/Vote in 24 hours if it is not forthcoming
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies