HOUSE BILL: Return Education To the Regions Act (Passed - Sent to the VP/PPT)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:55:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE BILL: Return Education To the Regions Act (Passed - Sent to the VP/PPT)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: HOUSE BILL: Return Education To the Regions Act (Passed - Sent to the VP/PPT)  (Read 9659 times)
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2017, 06:06:01 AM »

I'll take the sponsorship.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2017, 02:28:58 PM »

Homeschooling was not at all what I wanted, and therefore I oppose this amendment.

Why? Is homeschoolers second priority to you?

Still waiting for a response to this.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2017, 03:15:42 PM »

Homeschooling was not at all what I wanted, and therefore I oppose this amendment.

I think that we should support public schools that are in a miserable state, and that is what I said.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2017, 04:19:49 PM »

I think that we should support public schools that are in a miserable state, and that is what I said.

Ok, I'll offer an amendment, how would you define "miserable state"?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2017, 12:02:01 AM »

Representatives have 24 hours to object to Peebs' assumption of Sponsorship.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2017, 03:04:20 AM »

Peebs is now sponsor of the underlying bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2017, 03:05:44 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Sponsor Feedback: None Given Yet
Status: Objection filed by Simossad, A vote is now open on the above amendment, Representatives, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2017, 03:08:05 AM »

Aye

It moves us in a direction of at least having some financials in the bill. I actually think more than 1% can be cut, and I think there are more areas in which which we can devote that money towards helping provide regions with resources and support.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2017, 03:57:19 PM »

Aye

I can write another amendment after this one to change what the remaining cash goes to, and cutting more spending should the rest of the house want it.

Also, can Simossad define what he means by "public schools in a miserable state."
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2017, 08:41:11 PM »

Eh, ABSTAIN. I think this may paint with too broad of a brush, if you guys get my drift.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2017, 04:03:39 AM »

Nay.

I mean public schools with bad equipment and old and poor educational material in social flashpoints. You can not deny that the quality of public schools is better in areas where the general standard of living is higher, and that it is lower in areas where unemployment, poverty and crime plays a big role. Taking your kids out of school in exchange to a financial support does not help at all.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2017, 02:22:20 PM »

Alright, a new amendment will be coming after the vote finishes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2017, 10:10:05 AM »

Oh come on!

I cannot work with this. 4 VOTES?

I am extending the vote 24 hours to make quorum.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2017, 10:28:08 AM »

I mean public schools with bad equipment and old and poor educational material in social flashpoints. You can not deny that the quality of public schools is better in areas where the general standard of living is higher, and that it is lower in areas where unemployment, poverty and crime plays a big role. Taking your kids out of school in exchange to a financial support does not help at all.

I agree with you to an extent.

The Regions and the Federal Gov't by necessity will have to fill in said "resource gaps" from the top. There is no doubt about that. I have always acknowledged the need for the Federal Gov't to provide the "resources and support" for successful regional action. Of course with 3 Regions instead of 5, their is likely less of a difference in resource availability since all the Regions have larger populations and economic basis, then say the Midwest or Pacific, which would have struggled do to smaller size.

It does help your kid though. And that is where it becomes a social flash point, if you can get your kid out of that failing school, your kid might have a chance at a better life. It is selective yes, but I am not a fan of sacrificing everyone, just so it is equally bad for everyone. That is why I do support school choice and think it has a role to play.

However, clearly once we have reached this point, the school in question has basically been reduced to the state of the Titanic at 2 AM, April 15th, 1912. D deck is flooding, the bow has gone under, the lights have disappeared on the horizon, the rescue ship suddenly expresses uncertainty about whether it can come at all, and all the life boats are mostly deployed, most only half full.

One of the biggest problems in our school system is that the political divide renders action impossible. For the left, it is all about money, driven largely by one of the biggest special interest groups in the Democratic Party (the Teacher's unions), they literally buy school boards in elections and thus negotiations over pay and pensions are essentially case of the "talking to yourself trope". Vast sums go to underfunded pension obligations, endless numbers of ever growing secretaries that never set foot in a classroom and teachers, often the best ones, get screwed.

On the right, it is all about the reforms. The problem is right sees every reform opportunity as a chance to gut funding to pay for more tax cuts to nowhere. So while some of the reforms in the public school system like pay for performance and innovations in the method and manner of teaching, would revolutionize the profession, the loss of resources cripples the system.

That is why I often find myself agreeing with the Republicans on structural reforms and with the Democrats on funding levels.

When we talk about fixing the public school system, we forget that there are places where that system is failing right now and their are kids losing their futures right now. It is fine to say it harms the system to pull kids out of it, but the simple fact is that structural reforms take time and in the mean time, are we just going to lock every below deck to drown?

That is how I see it at least. Homeschooling is not without problems, but like anything you have to regulate the money and have oversight and measure progress. The left loves to point to extremists, quacks and cults when it comes to homeschooling, but they never seem to remember that when you administer something, you have the ability to set standards and if those standards aren't being met, the ability to force a change in the situation. Homeschooling is only as good or bad as the regulations that go with it.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2017, 01:49:29 PM »

In Yankee's super long post, at the end, he says that "homeschooling is only as good or bad as the regulations that go with it."

As someone who is homeschooled, and is in a community of homeschoolers, I can say that homeschooling is doing just fine. The original intent of the amendment was to help families pay for co-ops and expensive textbooks. Homeschoolers do not need more regulations, they have gotten in the way more than not.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2017, 02:15:54 PM »

The federal education budget is $68 Billion as of 2016, meaning if I'm reading the bill properly it would be  giving $680 million to not just people who are home-schooled, but to families with an income of less than 40K (which narrows the pool even further, as I assume even a 'working class' family where both parents earn 20k would be cut from this)

Homeschooling can be successful; but it's completely arbitrary to simply cut a very large slice out of the education budget and just throw it over to homeschooling. I haven't done the math, but you'd be handing over a very large amount of money with no explicit reason for doing so.

It's like trying to tackle the drug epidemic by cutting 1% from the DHHS budget, and giving it to people who've suffered a drug problem.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »

I motion to cancel the vote because I want to write a new amendment, and no one else cares to show up for amendment votes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2017, 02:11:26 AM »

Amendment H6:20 withdrawn.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »

Don't have the time now, but an amendment will be coming later tonight.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2017, 09:56:39 PM »

Here is the amendment:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2017, 09:58:36 PM »

If someone smarter than me updates the monetary numbers, I'd be very grateful.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2017, 05:53:19 AM »

I am going to hold off on processing this amendment until we can get a better number.

I doubt many schools would be helped as few districts would have such a small operating budget.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2017, 11:37:50 PM »

I am going to hold off on processing this amendment until we can get a better number.

I doubt many schools would be helped as few districts would have such a small operating budget.

I agree, I used the numbers from the last amendment because I'm not that smart with numbers, and prefer if some one else handled those.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2017, 09:11:53 AM »

I agree, I used the numbers from the last amendment because I'm not that smart with numbers, and prefer if some one else handled those.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time last time to get on this and my work schedule is murderous the next few days.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2017, 04:17:54 PM »

Unfortunately, I ran out of time last time to get on this and my work schedule is murderous the next few days.

No problem, anyone else in this house could propose some numbers.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies