Opinion of the Dalai Lama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:31:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Dalai Lama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Opinion of the Dalai Lama  (Read 661 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2017, 08:23:59 PM »

FF for sure.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:23:31 PM »

Major FF
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 10:51:22 PM »

Unquestionable FF.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 11:18:56 PM »

Massive FF, and I fully support the independence of the people of Tibet and Taiwan, and the independence or great autonomy of Hong Kong.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »

Definitely has some good traits, but he's far from an unquestionable FF, considering that he has advocated for the destabilization and breakup of a sovereign nation.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 09:14:37 PM »

Definitely has some good traits, but he's far from an unquestionable FF, considering that he has advocated for the destabilization and breakup of a sovereign nation.

LOL, I guess the Polish government in exile from 1940-45 was "advocating for the destabilization and breakup of a sovereign nation" too... Roll Eyes
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 09:15:05 PM »

Lean HP
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »

LOL, I guess the Polish government in exile from 1940-45 was "advocating for the destabilization and breakup of a sovereign nation" too... Roll Eyes

That was different because China doesn't keep political/ethnic/religious prisoners or occupy a foreign country.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 02:28:40 AM »

That was different because China doesn't keep political/ethnic/religious prisoners or occupy a foreign country.

It does both of these things.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 09:36:13 AM »

It does both of these things.

Yes, I was being rather sarcastic. China is very horrible for doing such things, but many Westerners I have heard try to justify it by calling it "better than it used to be," and somehow thinking that China is better than Russia on human rights and commitment to democracy.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 12:05:50 PM »

I think he's an FF, especially since even the huge flaws of pre-PRC Tibet can't be attributed to him, since he was what, a teenager when it fell to the PRC?
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 07:55:06 PM »

Did you really just compare China to Nazi Germany?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »

Mao killed more people than Hitler, even if the current Chinese government isn't quite as bad as it was under Mao.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 08:34:48 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2017, 10:01:19 PM by NJ is Better than TX »

Mao killed more people than Hitler, even if the current Chinese government isn't quite as bad as it was under Mao.

You definitely have a point there, Mao was quite the HP to say the least. But the Great Leap Forward - the event that gave Mao the bigger-than-Hitler death toll - was a result of (extremely) poor policy, not out of a deliberate desire to genocide anyone. And while the Cultural Revolution was very bad - my own family lived through it - it never got to the same extent the Holocaust did.

After all, despite CCP repression, the Tibetans are still alive and kicking.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 09:13:10 PM »

Neutral, far from an absolute FF.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 11:32:12 PM »

You definitely have a point there, Mao was quite the HP to say the least. But the Great Leap Forward - the event that gave Mao the bigger-than-Hitler death toll - was a result of (extremely) poor policy, not out of a deliberate desire to genocide anyone. And while the Cultural Revolution was very bad - my own family lived through it - it never got to the same extent the Holocaust did.

After all, despite CCP repression, the Tibetans are still alive and kicking.

Ah yes the age old communist defense, "Yes we killed 3 times as many people as Hitler, but it was for the people" and thus is less bad. Communism failed to erase Russian nationalize, but they did manage to "accidentally" erase several million Ukranian farmers through starvation. China has basically abandoned most every Communist principle at this point, except the whole dictatorship part.

Totalitarianism is totalitarianism. It doesn't matter what bullcrap theory is peddled to justify the rule of murderers and thugs.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 12:15:32 AM »

The whole "Mao killed more people that Hitler" thing is a function of 1950s China having a population over 10 times more than 1930s Germany's. That's not to say that Mao wasn't an evil person, however, it's possible for a more evil person to kill fewer, because they had less opportunity to do so. Also, there's a difference between a policy whose end goal is the deaths of people, or starting a war that is certainly known will lead to people's deaths, and implementing a failed agricultural policy based on fraudulent Soviet science, even if that policy was later adhered two for two and a half years longer than it should have out of a pigheaded refusal to admit error. In any case, the Chinese government basically stopped defending anything that happened between 1958 and 1976 after 1978, similar to the about-face on the Moscow Trials initiated by Khruschev after the Secret Speech.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies