Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:03:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Author Topic: Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11  (Read 25822 times)
hurricanehink
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2017, 01:44:31 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_status_referendum,_2017

I didn't see a thread on this. Puerto Ricans are voting again for their status. Unlike previous votes, there will be no option maintaining the commonwealth status the island has had for decades. In the 2012 referendum (concurrent with the US presidential election and the PR Governor election), 54% of voters chose to change their status; 61.6% of these voters chose statehood. But 27% of ballots in that referendum were blank.

If the referendum goes with statehood, the Puerto Rico government is also set to pass a bill to select the date for elections that will choose the new senators and congressmen. I'm not sure how much can happen with a GOP congress and president, but it would be hard to argue against the will of a United States territory (assuming statehood passes).
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 01:46:30 PM »

It will pass.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »

I didn't see a thread on this. Puerto Ricans are voting again for their status. Unlike previous votes, there will be no option maintaining the commonwealth status the island has had for decades. In the 2012 referendum (concurrent with the US presidential election and the PR Governor election), 54% of voters chose to change their status; 61.6% of these voters chose statehood. But 27% of ballots in that referendum were blank.

If the referendum goes with statehood, the Puerto Rico government is also set to pass a bill to select the date for elections that will choose the new senators and congressmen. I'm not sure how much can happen with a GOP congress and president, but it would be hard to argue against the will of a United States territory (assuming statehood passes).

I do believe the Republican platform supports statehood.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 03:40:35 PM »

It'll pass pretty easily.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »

That will go out the window when the state sends 2 Democratic Senators and 5 Democratic Congressmen to Washington. Though the state could be crafty and send one GOP Senator to make it a politically neutral act. Even so, I don't see Trump's party wanting to give any improved status to a mostly nonwhite area.

Hope it passes, though
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 04:16:49 PM »

That will go out the window when the state sends 2 Democratic Senators and 5 Democratic Congressmen to Washington. Though the state could be crafty and send one GOP Senator to make it a politically neutral act. Even so, I don't see Trump's party wanting to give any improved status to a mostly nonwhite area.

Hope it passes, though

Puerto Rico is majority White, more so than the rest of Latin America. Just because they're of Hispanic Ethnicity doesn't mean they're not mostly White. In fact, Puerto Rico has quite a bit of segregation and integrated cultural racism. The majority of Puerto Rico is of Spanish descent. The native Arawakan tribe of Tainos was nearly entirely extinguished by the colonizers in the 15th and 16th centuries.

However, yes, Republicans are despised there. Puerto Rican voters love the Democratic establishment ŕ la Obama and HRC. I would say that PR would behave like a NM+South Florida hybrid in US politics. Maybe one GOP seat can be gerrymandered, but PR has only had one Republican governor in decades, and he was ousted on his first term.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 04:33:15 PM »

It'll pass and be a bit harder for Republicans to deny Puerto Rico statehood and federal representation than they do to the District of Columbia. But I'd still expect them to stall its official recognition of statehood unless there can be some arrangement to ensure Puerto Rico isn't completely represented by Democrats.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 04:49:27 PM »

It'll pass and be a bit harder for Republicans to deny Puerto Rico statehood and federal representation than they do to the District of Columbia. But I'd still expect them to stall its official recognition of statehood unless there can be some arrangement to ensure Puerto Rico isn't completely represented by Democrats.

The last time new state was admitted was kind of a mutual compromise betwen parties not to upset the balance. It was assumed Alaska will be a Democratic state while Hawaii a Republican one. Of course it flipped rather quickly (I must say I don't quite get the idea of Hawaii being a solid GOP state, given consequences of the Hawaii Democratic Revolution of 1954.)

Puerto Rico is the only territory large enough to become a state. There's no other candidate to balance this, especially a GOP-leaning.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 04:57:04 PM »

The last time new state was admitted was kind of a mutual compromise betwen parties not to upset the balance. It was assumed Alaska will be a Democratic state while Hawaii a Republican one. Of course it flipped rather quickly (I must say I don't quite get the idea of Hawaii being a solid GOP state, given consequences of the Hawaii Democratic Revolution of 1954.)

Puerto Rico is the only territory large enough to become a state. There's no other candidate to balance this, especially a GOP-leaning.

One, WOW, they sure got lucky that they were so wrong about Alaska and Hawaii that it ended up working out for them okay regardless.

Two, There might be some way to retain the partisan balance if that's what it really takes. Carving a second state from California would be the easiest way to go about it, alternatively Northern Texas could become its own state if the state as a whole ends up swinging hard Dem.

However, I personally believe that the partisan balance in the states is ALREADY out of whack because of Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and the Dakotas. All tiny states, but they inflate the number of Republicans in the Senate and the GOP strength in the electoral college. There are a couple of tiny Dem states, but not as many, and the GOP also has strength in medium-small states like WV, MS, KS, NE, and OK that further inflate their advantage. [/rant]
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 04:57:59 PM »

The only possibility for a scenario like that would be to divide a US state or forge a new state from two or more existing states. Considering how unlikely that is, the GOP will have a choice after June: either admit Puerto Rico as a state, knowing they'll give more power to Democrats, or stall.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 07:43:26 PM »

The only possibility for a scenario like that would be to divide a US state or forge a new state from two or more existing states. Considering how unlikely that is, the GOP will have a choice after June: either admit Puerto Rico as a state, knowing they'll give more power to Democrats, or stall.

I'd take Puerto Rico in exchange for the State of Jefferson in NoCal/ Eastern Oregon. I'd imagine the Dems would want Puerto Rico and merge the Dakotas
Rjjr77
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 08:35:44 PM »

Puerto Rico isn't becoming a state until they fix their financial mess.

And on an interesting note Puerto Rico has had as many republican governors over the past twenty years as WV
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 09:01:46 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2017, 09:05:17 PM by Green Line »

Yes, let's take a state in the midst of a financial meltdown.  Nope.

To be clear, if it passes we should let them in and respect the will of the people.  It just will be a disaster.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 09:29:29 PM »

Do we really need two Dakotas anyway?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »

Becoming a state would be helpful in fixing the financial issues if I am correct. Dividing or merging states would not happen, because state legislatures would probably not agree with it and the basis for doing it to maintain partisan balance isn't a great legal argument that would hold up in court. If this referendum passes, you can guarantee that Congress will not take the issue up.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 10:09:40 PM »

Would likely pass but the chain reaction is what should worry the Republican. DC is definitely much more deserving of federal representation than Puerto Rico. There is also possibility that others may want become a state. I just can not stand when people say that no more territories should become states because having a 100 senators sounds cool or 51 states sound weird. With all due respect that is an argument of a 5 year old.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 10:41:51 PM »

Just to be clear: why did they remove the status quo option from the ballot?
Rjjr77
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 11:28:45 PM »

Becoming a state would be helpful in fixing the financial issues if I am correct. Dividing or merging states would not happen, because state legislatures would probably not agree with it and the basis for doing it to maintain partisan balance isn't a great legal argument that would hold up in court. If this referendum passes, you can guarantee that Congress will not take the issue up.

It really wouldn't help their fiscal nightmare if they became a state, unless there's an immediate federal bailout.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 11:29:54 PM »

Just to be clear: why did they remove the status quo option from the ballot?

I believe it's to maximize the number of people who vote for statehood, since independence is very unpopular.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 11:41:16 PM »

It really wouldn't help their fiscal nightmare if they became a state, unless there's an immediate federal bailout.

As a state, Puerto Rico would have access to refinancing options that are not available under the current status.
Rjjr77
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 12:00:22 AM »

As a state, Puerto Rico would have access to refinancing options that are not available under the current status.

They are in far deeper than that.
I'm assuming you mean allowing their public utilities bankruptcy protection, but that's a drop in the bucket for this problem.
As a state they aren't allowed to declare bankruptcy and reorganize their debt. That's what they actually need to do, also stop issuing bonds.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 04:45:30 AM »

Independence! Statehood is a trash right-wing idea.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 08:52:24 AM »

Hopefully statehood finally passes and we can work in a meaningful way towards statehood.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »

Barring some extreme US-inflicted humanitarian crisis, Puerto Ricans will not even consider independence. The culture has become highly Americanized, and English has been gaining an increased role in the island as a transactional language for the youngest generations.
Rjjr77
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 01:09:04 PM »

Considering they cannot make payments on their debt, don't know how independence would work for them
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies