Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:03:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11  (Read 25863 times)
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2017, 04:48:38 PM »

We will have 51 star flags by the 4th of july!
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2017, 10:10:40 PM »

We will have 51 star flags by the 4th of july!

It's not happening even if the referendum is overwhelmingly pro-statehood.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2017, 10:21:10 PM »

Any polls?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2017, 12:11:27 AM »

No. PR doesn't have reliable pollsters.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »

I'm guessing the final verdict will show statehood winning (most likely with) a majority.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2017, 01:43:06 PM »

I'm guessing the final verdict will show statehood winning (most likely with) a majority.

That's the most optimistic scenario for statehood right now. That Fiscal Committee established by Congress has made the economic situation exponentially worse over the last few months, and people are very angry.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2017, 12:07:52 AM »

If statehood wins, would Congress accept them if they agreed to send 1 Republican and 1 Democrat to the Senate? Obviously the agreement couldn't last forever, but Democrats could agree not to run a candidate for one of the seats the first time.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2017, 02:35:31 AM »

If statehood wins, would Congress accept them if they agreed to send 1 Republican and 1 Democrat to the Senate? Obviously the agreement couldn't last forever, but Democrats could agree not to run a candidate for one of the seats the first time.
The debate is about way more than just he Senate seats.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2017, 05:04:38 AM »

I mean, I guess statehood will get the majority. Republicans will not allow it to happen  because they don't want 2 dem senate seats. And when the democratic party controls the trifecta again, both DC and Puerto Rico become respectively 51th and 52th states.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2017, 06:58:42 AM »

I mean, I guess statehood will get the majority. Republicans will not allow it to happen  because they don't want 2 dem senate seats. And when the democratic party controls the trifecta again, both DC and Puerto Rico become respectively 51th and 52th states.

Yup, I would hope that the Democrats pass a rule that filibustering doesn't apply to the admission of new states.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2017, 07:00:17 PM »

I hope before I die I see Puerto Rico become a US state (but not DC).
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2017, 11:13:54 PM »

Yup, I would hope that the Democrats pass a rule that filibustering doesn't apply to the admission of new states.

If/when Democrats get a trifecta I will be very, very upset if DC statehood and (assuming it passes the referendum) Puerto Rican statehood don't happen.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2017, 11:14:37 PM »

If/when Democrats get a trifecta I will be very, very upset if DC statehood and (assuming it passes the referendum) Puerto Rican statehood don't happen.

DC statehood had the support of Joe Lieberman and still didn't happen last time they had a trifecta.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2017, 11:15:39 PM »

DC statehood had the support of Joe Lieberman and still didn't happen last time they had a trifecta.

PR statehood is simple; DC requires a constitutional amendment.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2017, 11:20:58 PM »

No it doesn't. Some rump federal district can be declared to contain the US Capital building, White House, and Supreme Court building or something like that.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2017, 11:48:22 PM »

No it doesn't. Some rump federal district can be declared to contain the US Capital building, White House, and Supreme Court building or something like that.

23rd Amendment has to be repealed - otherwise, that rump federal district ALSO gets 3 electoral votes.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2017, 11:52:04 PM »

23rd Amendment has to be repealed - otherwise, that rump federal district ALSO gets 3 electoral votes.

I don't see a problem with that. It can always be legislated in some way to allocate those EVs to whichever party wins the popular vote. While it should be repealed if DC were made a state, I don't think it should hold up the process.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2017, 11:53:17 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2017, 11:57:38 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

I mean, I guess statehood will get the majority. Republicans will not allow it to happen  because they don't want 2 dem senate seats. And when the democratic party controls the trifecta again, both DC and Puerto Rico become respectively 51th and 52th states.

Well, DC statehood could be approved without that. I imagine once DC is a state, repealing the 23rd amendment should be pretty uncontroversial.

While you're at it, could also repeal everything about a federal district at that point.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2017, 11:55:41 PM »

I don't see a problem with that. It can always be legislated in some way to allocate those EVs to whichever party wins the popular vote. While it should be repealed if DC were made a state, I don't think it should hold up the process.

Oooh. That's smart. Though I doubt the Republicans will go for it, seeing as Democrats have the popular vote advantage.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #169 on: May 23, 2017, 11:59:29 PM »

Basically.

Since the federal government controls the federal district, I think they can make a law about what happens to those EVs (e.g. they go to the popular vote winner, or the winner of all the other electoral votes, or they get ignored entirely, or whatever).

@Kamala, the Republicans would be mostly irrelevant in this scenario since the Democrats would need to have a trifecta to pass DC statehood in the first place.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2017, 06:58:50 AM »

Basically.

Since the federal government controls the federal district, I think they can make a law about what happens to those EVs (e.g. they go to the popular vote winner, or the winner of all the other electoral votes, or they get ignored entirely, or whatever).

@Kamala, the Republicans would be mostly irrelevant in this scenario since the Democrats would need to have a trifecta to pass DC statehood in the first place.

Yes and no with strings. If DC ever becomes a state it would have its 3 electoral votes, 1 at-large rep and 2 senators but here's the kicker: Congress would still be within a new Federal Zone. The "district" of old would just encompass the trifecta of the Capital, WH, SCOTUS (maybe some other admin buildings). This has been talked about in the past.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2017, 08:06:20 AM »

Basically.

Yes and no with strings. If DC ever becomes a state it would have its 3 electoral votes, 1 at-large rep and 2 senators but here's the kicker: Congress would still be within a new Federal Zone. The "district" of old would just encompass the trifecta of the Capital, WH, SCOTUS (maybe some other admin buildings). This has been talked about in the past.
I usually would not support DC statehood, but if a smaller federal district were to be created, that would make me much more likely to support statehood.  I believe there should be a federal district of some sort.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2017, 08:22:29 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is how it could look, white is the new smaller district, red is the state  The DC Statehood Coalition has proposed this http://www.dcstatehoodcoalition.org/why-and-how-of-the-51st-state/path-to-the-51st-state/
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2017, 08:26:53 AM »

Map in detail, showing boundary lines http://www.dcstatehoodcoalition.org/app/download/757863833/NewColumbia_StateMap1.pdf
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #174 on: May 24, 2017, 12:53:19 PM »

Basically.

Yes, that's what we were just saying.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies