Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:14:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
Author Topic: Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11  (Read 25830 times)
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: June 11, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »

@At this point most of the Republicans would want to cut them loose. That is the majority opinion on Twitter as well as the various hell no and moochers comments. Almost Roman if you think about it. You will be ruled and like it!

Mississippi is very poor and in many ways in nearly the same condition. I'd rather cut them loose.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #226 on: June 11, 2017, 03:23:46 PM »

Why is statehood even being considered given their financial situation?

Part of getting tackling that financial situation involves becoming a state.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #227 on: June 11, 2017, 03:32:25 PM »

So, if we have about half in with around 500,000 ballots cast, we are looking at around a million ballots cast overall or 500,000 less than the governor's race in 2016. Unfortunately, it seems as if turnout may be too low for Republicans to see a true mandate in favor of statehood...
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #228 on: June 11, 2017, 03:35:24 PM »

@At this point most of the Republicans would want to cut them loose. That is the majority opinion on Twitter as well as the various hell no and moochers comments. Almost Roman if you think about it. You will be ruled and like it!

Mississippi is very poor and in many ways in nearly the same condition. I'd rather cut them loose.

You want to cut people like me off? Sad
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #229 on: June 11, 2017, 03:36:32 PM »

Statehood (Unaffiliated)    97.2%   477,793
Free Associaton /Independence (Unaffiliated)    1.5%   7,444
Current Territorial Status (Unaffiliated)    1.3%   6,513
491,750 Total Votes
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #230 on: June 11, 2017, 03:37:53 PM »

You want to cut people like me off? Sad

No,

But that is the excuse the conservatives are using against Puerto Rico...Too poor,

This will be the second time in the past decade that Puerto rico has said yes to statehood.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #231 on: June 11, 2017, 03:38:43 PM »

So, if we have about half in with around 500,000 ballots cast, we are looking at around a million ballots cast overall or 500,000 less than the governor's race in 2016. Unfortunately, it seems as if turnout may be too low for Republicans to see a true mandate in favor of statehood...

I think they would find a reason to reject it no matter what the turnout or vote share is. In the end, it boils down to partisan politics, and someone like Mitch McConnell is only concerned with winning elections. Giving Puerto Rico 2 Senators would, in his opinion, make things unreasonably difficult for Republicans.

I think statehood for Puerto Rico (or DC) will be up to Democrats to implement, whenever that may be.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #232 on: June 11, 2017, 03:44:09 PM »

I think they would find a reason to reject it no matter what the turnout or vote share is. In the end, it boils down to partisan politics, and someone like Mitch McConnell is only concerned with winning elections. Giving Puerto Rico 2 Senators would, in his opinion, make things unreasonably difficult for Republicans.

I think statehood for Puerto Rico (or DC) will be up to Democrats to implement, whenever that may be.

Well, I would think that Jenniffer González (R) would be one of the new senators until elections in 2018, so there would be no change in the partisan composition in the Senate...and there's no reason why she couldn't win reelection considering that she won as a Republican in 2016.

But, I have to agree, it'll up to the Dems to admit PR as a state, if at all.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #233 on: June 11, 2017, 03:48:57 PM »

Apparently the plan is to elect senators and congressmen anyway to send to DC and force a vote. I can see the current crop of reps actually arresting them if they try to do a protest, vote in, etc.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #234 on: June 11, 2017, 03:51:14 PM »

Apparently the plan is to elect senators and congressmen anyway to send to DC and force a vote. I can see the current crop of reps actually arresting them if they try to do a protest, vote in, etc.

I thought Rosselló was going to appoint the senators (they'd both be up for reelection in 2018, I assume) and hold special elections for the House. Should be an interesting few months...
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #235 on: June 11, 2017, 03:52:12 PM »

But to even debate statehood, if I understand correctly, they also need to draft a State Constitution - something they haven't done (to my knowledge).
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2017, 03:55:48 PM »

But to even debate statehood, if I understand correctly, they also need to draft a State Constitution - something they haven't done (to my knowledge).

From the wiki citing WaPo but the article has been deleted.

"At approximately the same time as the referendum, Puerto Rico's legislators are also expected to vote on a bill that would allow the Governor to draft a state constitution and hold elections to choose senators and representatives to the federal Congress. Regardless of the outcome of the referendum..."
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2017, 03:56:24 PM »

Statehood (Unaffiliated)    97.2%   483,302
Free Associaton /Independence (Unaffiliated)    1.5%   7,509
Current Territorial Status (Unaffiliated)    1.3%   6,566
497,377 Total Votes
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #238 on: June 11, 2017, 04:05:54 PM »

If Democrats get the House majority, they could probably force recognition of PR statehood as part of an infrastructure or budget deal.  There are more than enough GOP supporters in the Senate.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #239 on: June 11, 2017, 04:13:37 PM »

But would GOP senators be so willing to add two more Dem senators? It would be 52 Rep. 48 Dem. 2 Ind (caucus Dem).
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2017, 04:16:45 PM »

But would GOP senators be so willing to add two more Dem senators? It would be 52 Rep. 48 Dem. 2 Ind (caucus Dem).

I think it would be 1D-1R because I see no reason why Gonzalez wouldn't win a possible PR senate seat when she won the House delegate seat in 2016.

Also, I think the number that we need to get in order to have any kind of mandate would be 970,910 (the number that voted "no" to the first question in 2012—the part of the referendum that people did not boycott) in favor of statehood. I think this is doable, depending on what is still out.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2017, 04:21:17 PM »

If the results page on El Nuevo Día, then they in no way have a mandate for statehood because over 90% is in.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/politica/nota/conocelosresultadosdelplebiscito-2330105/
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #242 on: June 11, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »

Abstentions and/or blank ballots do not count as votes, but that would be an easy excuse to avoid even taking up a vote in Congress on statehood.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #243 on: June 11, 2017, 04:28:41 PM »

Abstentions and/or blank ballots do not count as votes, but that would be an easy excuse to avoid even taking up a vote in Congress on statehood.

Oh, I agree, but with less that 30% turnout, it is not hard for Republicans to use turnout as an excuse. I was hoping there would be a clear mandate to at least make it hard on them...
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: June 11, 2017, 04:29:09 PM »

The parties that are choosing to absent from the vote have made their bed. This is one of the only cases I've ever seen where the election seems to not matter.

Time to make it a state....
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #245 on: June 11, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »

Why is statehood even being considered given their financial situation?
Well, one of the conditions for the Republic of Texas being annexed and turned into a state was the US taking over their debts, so if Texas can be admitted to the states, the already American territory of Puerto Rico can be too.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

« Reply #246 on: June 11, 2017, 05:23:12 PM »

PR probably won't become a state in a long time
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #247 on: June 11, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »

Time for statehood! I hope they do follow through with approving a state constitution and sending elected reps to DC. Force the issue.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #248 on: June 11, 2017, 06:32:30 PM »

What would be the path to house/senate majorities for a Puerto Rico statehood bill?

If I had to guess in the senate:
Democrats, party line
Rubio
Collins
McCain
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #249 on: June 11, 2017, 06:34:14 PM »

What would be the path to house/senate majorities for a Puerto Rico statehood bill?

If I had to guess in the senate:
Democrats, party line
Rubio
Collins
McCain
For the House, I think it's Democrats, party line + maaaaaybe 3 South Florida Republicans (IRL, Curbelo, Diaz-Balerat)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies