Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:32:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12
Author Topic: Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11  (Read 25845 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: June 11, 2017, 06:39:55 PM »

Well, guess they'll be voting again next year.  What a waste of money.  Puerto Rico needs to get their own house in order.  Bernie Sanders democrats would be crazy to support brining in a new poor stats when we cant even take care of Mississippi.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #251 on: June 11, 2017, 06:51:46 PM »

Mississippi is very poor and in many ways in nearly the same condition. I'd rather cut them loose.

Well, guess they'll be voting again next year.  What a waste of money.  Puerto Rico needs to get their own house in order.  Bernie Sanders democrats would be crazy to support brining in a new poor stats when we cant even take care of Mississippi.

Reported for hate speech.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #252 on: June 11, 2017, 07:03:48 PM »

What would be the path to house/senate majorities for a Puerto Rico statehood bill?

If I had to guess in the senate:
Democrats, party line
Rubio
Collins
McCain
For the House, I think it's Democrats, party line + maaaaaybe 3 South Florida Republicans (IRL, Curbelo, Diaz-Balerat)

Don Young, interestingly, has already endorsed statehood.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #253 on: June 11, 2017, 07:11:17 PM »

What would be the path to house/senate majorities for a Puerto Rico statehood bill?

If I had to guess in the senate:
Democrats, party line
Rubio
Collins
McCain
For the House, I think it's Democrats, party line + maaaaaybe 3 South Florida Republicans (IRL, Curbelo, Diaz-Balerat)

Don Young, interestingly, has already endorsed statehood.

Not that interesting. He remembers Alaska not being a state.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #254 on: June 11, 2017, 07:34:46 PM »

"Last week, Governor Rosselló signed a law intended to force Congress to act. He will appoint five representatives and two senators who will essentially show up in Washington and request to take their seats. Known as the Tennessee Plan, it worked there in 1796."

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/11/us/puerto-ricans-vote-on-the-question-of-statehood.html
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #255 on: June 11, 2017, 07:38:50 PM »

If Puerto Rico statehood passes the house, here's my guess of who gets it over the top, in no particular order and more or less shooting in the dark:
Dems
Young
ILR
Curbelo
Diaz-Belart
McSally
Hurd
Pearce
Dent
Comstock
Katko
McArthur
Lance
Wagner
Yoder
Coffman
Issa
Roksam
Poliquin
Brooks
Messer
Upton
Trott
King
Stefanik

A lot of these are very implausible though.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #256 on: June 11, 2017, 07:47:06 PM »

Also, when is the Tennessee Plan going to be executed?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #257 on: June 11, 2017, 07:59:32 PM »

Well, this is obviously DOA in Congress, which is sad, since Puerto Ricans are Americans, and yet many members of Congress can easily just ignore that because... reasons.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #258 on: June 11, 2017, 10:40:04 PM »

Well, this is obviously DOA in Congress, which is sad, since Puerto Ricans are Americans, and yet many members of Congress can easily just ignore that because... reasons.

The goal should be to make this as big a political issue as possible. If it's really DOA (which I'm not entirely convinced it is) we need to make it clear how racist the Republicans are being.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #259 on: June 11, 2017, 10:43:53 PM »

The goal should be to make this as big a political issue as possible. If it's really DOA (which I'm not entirely convinced it is) we need to make it clear how racist the Republicans are being.

As well as the disgustingly racist 77% of Puerto Rican voters who did not vote for statehood.  They must be exposed.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #260 on: June 11, 2017, 11:00:11 PM »

As well as the disgustingly racist 77% of Puerto Rican voters who did not vote for statehood.  They must be exposed.

1. They didn't vote against statehood--they just didn't vote.
2. That's a different issue altogether. The people of Puerto Rico have made a decision, and Republicans should follow their party's platform and honor that decision.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #261 on: June 11, 2017, 11:04:02 PM »

You really think an issue this massive should be decided based off a non-binding referendum that 22% of the voters participated in and even less voted yes for?

I know Democrats are desperate for ways to make poor whites irrelevant, but this is just sad.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #262 on: June 11, 2017, 11:15:16 PM »

You really think an issue this massive should be decided based off a non-binding referendum that 22% of the voters participated in and even less voted yes for?

I know Democrats are desperate for ways to make poor whites irrelevant, but this is just sad.

So you think it's an issue of poor whites vs. poor browns? Sad.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #263 on: June 11, 2017, 11:22:13 PM »

Well, 78% of the population do not care enough either way to vote. Of the people that actually care, 97% want statehood, therefore, statehood should be granted ASAP.

When Jerry Brown was reelected in 2014, there was only 30% turnout...does that make his second term invalid?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #264 on: June 11, 2017, 11:25:44 PM »

Well, 78% of the population do not care enough either way to vote. Of the people that actually care, 97% want statehood, therefore, statehood should be granted ASAP.

When Jerry Brown was reelected in 2014, there was only 30% turnout...does that make his second term invalid?

If Jerry Brown was going to become the 51st state, yeah I would say it's invalid.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #265 on: June 11, 2017, 11:51:20 PM »

If Jerry Brown was going to become the 51st state, yeah I would say it's invalid.

Then we will have yet another referendum and the opposition parties will boycott it and then we will do it again, and again, and again and nothing will be resolved. If turnout is such an issue (and it is not in pretty much every other election in the US), then there needs to be a binding referendum passed by Congress that makes it clear that the US government WILL follow the outcome of the referendum regardless of turnout—then and only then, might there not be a ridiculous boycott.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #266 on: June 12, 2017, 12:10:15 AM »

Why is turnout an issue for this, but never anything else in this country?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #267 on: June 12, 2017, 12:25:59 AM »

Anti-statehooders claim that the referendum was meant to be non-binding, and argue that for a referendum (as opposed to an election for an office) should have high turnout due to the fact that it is not something that can be "undone" in a future election.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #268 on: June 12, 2017, 02:06:20 AM »

Not everything is about partisan politics. Some people in this country may just happen to believe that all Americans should get fair representation, and not be written off just because they live in a federal district or a territory that America refuses to give a crap about. Since people in America can't ever seem to agree on anything anymore, a constitutional amendment appears out of the question, and that leaves statehood as the only real option. Further, in PR's case, statehood would offer them more options to deal with their debt - debt that the federal govt helped cause, btw.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #269 on: June 12, 2017, 02:11:32 AM »

Anti-statehooders claim that the referendum was meant to be non-binding, and argue that for a referendum (as opposed to an election for an office) should have high turnout due to the fact that it is not something that can be "undone" in a future election.

Well, they should have voted then.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #270 on: June 12, 2017, 06:19:46 AM »

When Hawaii became a state the population was 600,000 with 155,000 eligible voters and about 144,000 voted. Highest turnout ever at the time but really, nobody voted. Guess according to Green Line we should remove them as a state since most people didn't vote!
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #271 on: June 12, 2017, 01:55:59 PM »

Everyone is ignoring the obvious flaw in the referendum, it failed to offer a logical choice: give Puero Rico back to Spain, let them deal with the bankruptcy of their former colony. 
That way we won't have to be politically incorrect and require Puerto Rico to teach English.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #272 on: June 13, 2017, 12:52:47 AM »

Everyone is ignoring the obvious flaw in the referendum, it failed to offer a logical choice: give Puero Rico back to Spain, let them deal with the bankruptcy of their former colony. 
That way we won't have to be politically incorrect and require Puerto Rico to teach English.

I assume you're joking, but I don't think Puerto Rico, Spain, or even the American people as a whole want that.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #273 on: June 13, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »

I like you.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #274 on: June 13, 2017, 07:08:27 PM »

Please, for your sake, stay as far away from politics as possible
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies