Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:39:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]
Author Topic: Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11  (Read 25860 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: June 14, 2017, 10:34:12 AM »

The leap to accept this referendum is really odd. The timeline as I understand it was this:

The Governor of Puerto Rico scheduled the initial referendum and petitioned the DOJ to gain official recognition of it. The DOJ objected due to the phrasing and the lack of a status-quo option. Though the Governor corrected some of the issues, he declined to go back to the DOJ as he wanted to rush the referendum through before unpopular budget cuts would make him and (possibly) statehood look bad. Objecting to the Governor's political shenanigans, issues with the language in the referendum, and the lack of official legitimacy, the main opposition party decided to cripple the referendum's legitimacy by boycotting. In the vote, despite Puerto Rico regularly having 80% voter participation, only 23% of registered voters participated.

From that I'd say the argument that this referendum was not legitimate was pretty damn strong. Without official DOJ recognition, a large vote for statehood was the only kind of legitimacy this vote would have. The opposition made the perfectly logical decision to deny that legitimacy (as well as protest the dodgy circumstances around the election) by boycotting, a boycott which seems to have been very successful. You don't see many boycotted elections in the 1st world, but you don't really see many attempts to hold dodgy elections in the West either.

I don't think Puerto Rico should be denied statehood or any other option if they legitimately vote for it, but I DO think there's a firm argument to deny statehood based on THIS vote.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #276 on: June 15, 2017, 10:16:46 PM »

I thought about it long and hard today.  Puerto Rico should become a state.  America is a great country, we should embrace the fact that Puerto Ricans love us so much.  We will benefit as much as they will.  They just need to start speaking English.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #277 on: June 16, 2017, 02:32:17 AM »

The leap to accept this referendum is really odd. The timeline as I understand it was this:

The Governor of Puerto Rico scheduled the initial referendum and petitioned the DOJ to gain official recognition of it. The DOJ objected due to the phrasing and the lack of a status-quo option. Though the Governor corrected some of the issues, he declined to go back to the DOJ as he wanted to rush the referendum through before unpopular budget cuts would make him and (possibly) statehood look bad. Objecting to the Governor's political shenanigans, issues with the language in the referendum, and the lack of official legitimacy, the main opposition party decided to cripple the referendum's legitimacy by boycotting. In the vote, despite Puerto Rico regularly having 80% voter participation, only 23% of registered voters participated.

From that I'd say the argument that this referendum was not legitimate was pretty damn strong. Without official DOJ recognition, a large vote for statehood was the only kind of legitimacy this vote would have. The opposition made the perfectly logical decision to deny that legitimacy (as well as protest the dodgy circumstances around the election) by boycotting, a boycott which seems to have been very successful. You don't see many boycotted elections in the 1st world, but you don't really see many attempts to hold dodgy elections in the West either.

I don't think Puerto Rico should be denied statehood or any other option if they legitimately vote for it, but I DO think there's a firm argument to deny statehood based on THIS vote.
So does opposition just have to boycott a vote to ensure that it becomes invalid? That seems pretty dangerous.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #278 on: June 16, 2017, 03:05:25 AM »

Who opposed the referendum, the Puerto Rico democratic party, as they are anti-statehood, while the republicans are pro-statehood.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #279 on: June 16, 2017, 03:44:25 AM »

Everyone is ignoring the obvious flaw in the referendum, it failed to offer a logical choice: give Puero Rico back to Spain, let them deal with the bankruptcy of their former colony. 
That way we won't have to be politically incorrect and require Puerto Rico to teach English.
Please, for your sake, stay as far away from politics as possible

Everyone is ignoring the obvious flaw in the referendum, it failed to offer a logical choice: give Puero Rico back to Spain, let them deal with the bankruptcy of their former colony. 
That way we won't have to be politically incorrect and require Puerto Rico to teach English.

I assume you're joking, but I don't think Puerto Rico, Spain, or even the American people as a whole want that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #280 on: June 16, 2017, 03:45:32 AM »

Please, for your sake, stay as far away from politics as possible

I assume you're joking, but I don't think Puerto Rico, Spain, or even the American people as a whole want that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #281 on: June 16, 2017, 07:29:21 AM »

Who opposed the referendum, the Puerto Rico democratic party, as they are anti-statehood, while the republicans are pro-statehood.

The Popular Democratic Party opposes statehood, they are not the same as the Democratic Party. The New Progressive Party supports statehood, they are not the Republican Party. The governor who called the referendum is both New Progressive and a Democrat.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #282 on: June 16, 2017, 09:20:24 AM »

The Popular Democratic Party opposes statehood, they are not the same as the Democratic Party. The New Progressive Party supports statehood, they are not the Republican Party. The governor who called the referendum is both New Progressive and a Democrat.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies