Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:24:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11  (Read 25953 times)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« on: April 20, 2017, 05:23:52 PM »

I think that Puerto Ricans are going to vote in favor of statehood, especially with Rosselló in power.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »

I'm guessing the final verdict will show statehood winning (most likely with) a majority.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 08:06:20 AM »

23rd Amendment has to be repealed - otherwise, that rump federal district ALSO gets 3 electoral votes.

I don't see a problem with that. It can always be legislated in some way to allocate those EVs to whichever party wins the popular vote. While it should be repealed if DC were made a state, I don't think it should hold up the process.

Basically.

Since the federal government controls the federal district, I think they can make a law about what happens to those EVs (e.g. they go to the popular vote winner, or the winner of all the other electoral votes, or they get ignored entirely, or whatever).

@Kamala, the Republicans would be mostly irrelevant in this scenario since the Democrats would need to have a trifecta to pass DC statehood in the first place.

Yes and no with strings. If DC ever becomes a state it would have its 3 electoral votes, 1 at-large rep and 2 senators but here's the kicker: Congress would still be within a new Federal Zone. The "district" of old would just encompass the trifecta of the Capital, WH, SCOTUS (maybe some other admin buildings). This has been talked about in the past.
I usually would not support DC statehood, but if a smaller federal district were to be created, that would make me much more likely to support statehood.  I believe there should be a federal district of some sort.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 07:09:02 AM »

Today's the day.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 10:23:58 AM »

So when does voting end/when should results start coming in?
DDHQ said they should be getting results at 3 pm EDT
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies