Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:00:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Puerto Rico status referendum - June 11  (Read 25957 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: May 20, 2017, 10:21:10 PM »

Any polls?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 11:14:37 PM »

I mean, I guess statehood will get the majority. Republicans will not allow it to happen  because they don't want 2 dem senate seats. And when the democratic party controls the trifecta again, both DC and Puerto Rico become respectively 51th and 52th states.

Yup, I would hope that the Democrats pass a rule that filibustering doesn't apply to the admission of new states.

If/when Democrats get a trifecta I will be very, very upset if DC statehood and (assuming it passes the referendum) Puerto Rican statehood don't happen.

DC statehood had the support of Joe Lieberman and still didn't happen last time they had a trifecta.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 11:20:58 PM »

I mean, I guess statehood will get the majority. Republicans will not allow it to happen  because they don't want 2 dem senate seats. And when the democratic party controls the trifecta again, both DC and Puerto Rico become respectively 51th and 52th states.

Yup, I would hope that the Democrats pass a rule that filibustering doesn't apply to the admission of new states.

If/when Democrats get a trifecta I will be very, very upset if DC statehood and (assuming it passes the referendum) Puerto Rican statehood don't happen.

DC statehood had the support of Joe Lieberman and still didn't happen last time they had a trifecta.

PR statehood is simple; DC requires a constitutional amendment.

No it doesn't. Some rump federal district can be declared to contain the US Capital building, White House, and Supreme Court building or something like that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:53:17 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2017, 11:57:38 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

I mean, I guess statehood will get the majority. Republicans will not allow it to happen  because they don't want 2 dem senate seats. And when the democratic party controls the trifecta again, both DC and Puerto Rico become respectively 51th and 52th states.

PR statehood is simple; DC requires a constitutional amendment.

No it doesn't. Some rump federal district can be declared to contain the US Capital building, White House, and Supreme Court building or something like that.

23rd Amendment has to be repealed - otherwise, that rump federal district ALSO gets 3 electoral votes.

Well, DC statehood could be approved without that. I imagine once DC is a state, repealing the 23rd amendment should be pretty uncontroversial.

While you're at it, could also repeal everything about a federal district at that point.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 11:07:10 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2017, 11:09:20 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

There was a poll. Statehood has 66% of those intending on voting. It had 52% of all voters with abstain getting 7%.

http://prdecide.elnuevodia.com/detalle/reportaje/311_plebiscite-boycott-fails-to-seduce-the-masses/

If the results are like this, it's a mandate to be the 51st state. Of course DC deserves to be admitted too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies