Approval poll: New Atlas moderators
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:04:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Approval poll: New Atlas moderators
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you approve of the newly chosen Atlas moderators?
PiT - Yes

PiT - No

Kalwejt - Yes

Kalwejt - No

Virginia - Yes

Virginia - No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Approval poll: New Atlas moderators  (Read 4627 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2017, 12:34:21 AM »

Democratic election of moderators, much like democratic election of judges, is a terrible idea. The judiciary needs to be independent of popularity contests and the whims of public opinion.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2017, 12:35:25 AM »

Approve, especially as all of them are young and none of them are lawyers or aspiring lawyers.

Three suggested rules for improving Atlas moderation:

(1) No lawyers.
(2) No law students.
(3) No appointments past age 35, and no service past age 40.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the story behind this? Why are so against lawyers/law students becoming moderators? I'm new here.

Torie, mostly.

And Inks. (I don't THINK I contributed Tongue)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2017, 12:39:26 AM »

The weather's been great. Smiley
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2017, 12:39:37 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2017, 12:41:30 AM by NO MORE DEMOCRATIC MODS »

Democratic election of moderators, much like democratic election of judges, is a terrible idea. The judiciary needs to be independent of popularity contests and the whims of public opinion.

-I support this in principle, but moderators serve an executive (and partially even a legislative) role here as well. Currently, the forum functions as an absolute monarchy. I would like to democratize it a bit.

-It was great early in the week, and it might be great tomorrow. But today was cloudy and chilly.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2017, 12:48:18 AM »

Cloudy and chilly is how God intended this time of year.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2017, 01:05:14 AM »

I'd like to assure everybody the Cave is not a sinister place as some would suggest.

I have decided to help formulate this list, along with potential methods of disposal. My favorite is "smoke, mirrors, and press". It involves typical Adam Griffin-esque smoke and mirror attempts, alongside a variety of users criticizing a specific user. Our test subjects were boboblaw and Asian Nazi.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2017, 08:47:20 AM »

^^ advocating self-harm
can y'alls ban him now pls thx
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2017, 08:53:48 AM »

I live in Chicago, where it was a beautiful 60° yesterday. I’m sure the weather was much the same in Michigan.

Anyway, not the point. You can go to a museum, go ice-skating, go get dinner, go see a play, go shopping, watch a basketball game, go bowling, whatever. There's a world of possible things to do that don't involve writing a thousand words about moderators on an internet forum.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2017, 08:56:59 AM »

It's not his fault, he just can't help it. The idea of having a two female moderators is just scaring him. Virginia's appointment must've scattered his sense of security.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2017, 12:38:47 PM »

BRTD for mod!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »

Being in a friendly mood, I'm going to address some of the points put forward by Eharding.

1. This site is a private property of one Dave Leip. It's his God-given right, as an owner, to pick the people to assist him in running this forum as he sees fit. You, me, everybody else are his guests. It's nothing wrong with you having diffrent ideas or to propose such, but to throw a hissy fit over this is unbecoming of a guest.

2. I find "arguments" about cis females being "overrepresented" in the mod team... just weird. There are (regretfully) few ladies in our community, true, but denying somebody an appointment based solely on being a cis female (or trans female, or male, or Democrat, and so on) sounds like a mindless chauvinism.

3. I don't think I'm going to be abusing anybody's trust if I say that on the mod's forum I proposed giving you a temporary ban or, at the very least, little warning regarding your childish behavior (and other offences such as necroposting), but I stated it clear we should try to work things out with you, instead of giving your permanent ban now. You don't seem like a bad guy, I'd like to believe you could do better (especially as someone who started off poorly here), so please consider this. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2017, 01:06:33 PM »

Also, there were few moderators in the past that either went too far or made a series of poor decisions. They have either been demoded or resigned, so I wouldn't worry about accountability.
Eharding

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2017, 01:19:17 PM »

Kalwejt, I know full well this site is the property of "Dave Leip". This is why I mentioned here my "grievances" regarding his "picks". I do not believe my description of grievances here was at all equivalent, or even close to "throw[ing] a hissy fit". As by TNVol's suggestion, I will email "Dave Leip" regarding my disagreements with his recent mod picks soon enough.

Secondly, my opposition to an excess of female mods on this forum is not a product of "mindless chauvinism", but simply of a desire of fair and equal representation of all demographics on this forum, and a desire to prevent the disproportionate supremacy of any one.

Necroposting isn't an offense, or if it is, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere as such. Please list specifics, with quotes, for my supposed offences for #3, so I can know exactly what you are talking about, because as of now, I do not. I know for a fact that no posts of mine have been deleted since my remarks regarding contemporary perceptions of the Irish.

As for "moderators in the past that either went too far or made a series of poor decisions", ag was posting wishes of death to numerous forum posters and resigned only by his own will, not that of anyone else. The fact such extreme abuse was allowed to fester for so long is precisely why I am concerned about the recent mod picks.
Eharding

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2017, 01:26:11 PM »

I live in Chicago, where it was a beautiful 60° yesterday. I’m sure the weather was much the same in Michigan.

Anyway, not the point. You can go to a museum, go ice-skating, go get dinner, go see a play, go shopping, watch a basketball game, go bowling, whatever. There's a world of possible things to do that don't involve writing a thousand words about moderators on an internet forum.

-It was 40 degrees in MI yesterday, and was cloudy. I generally prefer sunny weather for any outdoor activities. I wrote my grievances post in less than half an hour, so you have no need to worry regarding if I am wasting any of my time.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »

-I support this in principle, but moderators serve an executive (and partially even a legislative) role here as well. Currently, the forum functions as an absolute monarchy. I would like to democratize it a bit.

Kalwejt made the point already, but this is how the site owner wishes it to function. You could petition Dave, but I do not expect success in that regard. The only other thing to do with that is to go to another board, as many did when AAD was created. I would also like to comment on this:

Secondly, my opposition to an excess of female mods on this forum is not a product of "mindless chauvinism", but simply of a desire of fair and equal representation of all demographics on this forum, and a desire to prevent the disproportionate supremacy of any one.

I prefer that the most qualified people get the positions, regardless of what their demographics may be. The idea that we should take these factors into account when selecting people and seek to ensure equal demographic representation is a position much more characteristic of liberals than it is of conservatives. You are certainly welcome to hold such views, but I found it notable.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2017, 01:30:12 PM »

Eharding, I hope you realize that this outburst of yours is accomplishing nothing besides making you look pathetic. Maybe you should try leaving the forum permanently so that you can permanently protest Virginia being a mod.
Eharding

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2017, 01:38:01 PM »

Kalwejt made the point already, but this is how the site owner wishes it to function. You could petition Dave, but I do not expect success in that regard. The only other thing to do with that is to go to another board, as many did when AAD was created. I would also like to comment on this:

I prefer that the most qualified people get the positions, regardless of what their demographics may be. The idea that we should take these factors into account when selecting people and seek to ensure equal demographic representation is a position much more characteristic of liberals than it is of conservatives. You are certainly welcome to hold such views, but I found it notable.

-I do not care in the least bit about the equal demographic representation of physicists, chemists, janitors, or cooks. I do care deeply about it in cases of people having power over other people. I care about it especially in the case of the moderation of a forum meant by its owner to be moderated without bias. And there was nothing in the least bit "qualified" about Virginia that I could discern with any of my senses.

Nobody has approved my request on AAD, and I would like what I write to be visible to the general public, so they can judge its utility. Thus, I vastly prefer this forum as a medium to express my ideas about U.S. elections than AAD, even in the case I was approved on AAD (which I'm not).
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2017, 01:47:07 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2017, 06:40:57 PM by Senator Scott »

I think the [redacted] has had his soapbox long enough.  Closing this now.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies