Poll: Divided Americans fret country losing identity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:09:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll: Divided Americans fret country losing identity
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you think the United States is losing its national identity? And what kind of country should America be?
Yes (D/lean D)

Yes (R/lean R)

No (D/lean D)

No (R/lean R)

A country made up of many cultures and values that change as new people arrive (D/lean D)

A country made up of many cultures and values that change as new people arrive (R/lean R)

A country with an essential American culture that immigrants adopt (D/lean D)

A country with an essential American culture that immigrants adopt (R/lean R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Poll: Divided Americans fret country losing identity  (Read 2101 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2017, 02:37:02 PM »

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/f958cdd9cfcf435db14ba2f79ac50c36/ap-norc-poll-divided-americans-worry-county-losing-identity

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2017, 03:52:53 PM by Snowguy716 »

We have an innate culture.

I remember Germans and Austrians sarcastically saying things like "what do you have for cuisine in America?  Burgers?"

You know what we have?  Choices.  So very many more than you will ever have.  You are so eager to show me your fancy powdered sugar pancakes or your schnitzels or your potato salad... we've all had that already... we've had 10 million different kinds of potato salad... eggy/mayo slop, bacon oil vinegar, spicy chipotle, vegan friendly, vegan hostile, skin on, skin off, warm, cold, .. potato salad in the pot nine days old.  

Our culture is the Friday night fish fry, the Wisconsin boo-yah, the Texas BBQ, the state fair, the open road, super awful train service, football, the school band, the kids playing percussion in the atrium at a sh**tty mall with an audience of confused passersby slurping their giant smoothies...

This country is packed to the brim with culture.  And our identity is this:  We're Americans.  Subject to change.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 04:03:22 PM »

I remember Germans and Austrians sarcastically saying things like "what do you have for cuisine in America?  Burgers?"

You know what we have?  Choices.  So very many more than you will ever have.  You are so eager to show me your fancy powdered sugar pancakes or your schnitzels or your potato salad... we've all had that already... we've had 10 million different kinds of potato salad... eggy/mayo slop, bacon oil vinegar, spicy chipotle, vegan friendly, vegan hostile, skin on, skin off, warm, cold, .. potato salad in the pot nine days old.  

Our culture is the Friday night fish fry, the Wisconsin boo-yah, the Texas BBQ, the state fair, the open road, super awful train service, football, the school band, the kids playing percussion in the atrium at a sh**tty mall with an audience of confused passersby slurping their giant smoothies...

This country is packed to the brim with culture.  And our identity is this:  We're Americans.  Subject to change.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 04:08:16 PM »

I noticed that very few republicans (I think it's actually zero?) have voted in this poll...they must still be at church today Tongue

Anyways I think that the nativist backlash we're experiencing isn't too different from that of the 1920's. The big difference now is that it's less about ethnicity and more about race since new immigrants are typically either Asian or mestizo. So now instead of getting a White Anglo Saxon Protestant movement pushing back, it's just a White nationalist movement that's pushing back.

There's always been a question about if this country is based on an ideal vs. an ethnic or racial group. I think we're gonna keep revisiting this question now and into the 2020's. I still have plenty of faith that the "ideal" proponents will win out over the nativists though.

I do not believe that America is losing its identity. I think we're ever evolving and that we do a great job at assimilating people into our culture and integrating aspects of new immigrant cultures into our own. I think our diversity ultimately makes us stronger.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 04:08:46 PM »

people over-paranoid about losing their culture, usually aren't very convinced about it to begin with.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2017, 07:54:28 PM by TDAS04 »

Well, if American identity is based on "American" values such as liberty, justice, equality, etc., then it is Donald Trump and the far right that are destroying American identity.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 05:19:07 PM »

Couldn't have said it better myself.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 06:30:44 PM »

I've always lived in the Northeastern U.S. so my idea of what American culture is may be a little different from another person who's lived in different regions of America...

I see American culture as being just really casual and laid-back.  I think of fast food as very American, our fondness for nostalgia, our love of the movies, our consumerism is very American, our freedom of speech and the wide array of news and views that we have...

It's still the best country on Earth, no matter what.  I always think of America as a microcosm of the world - any food in the world you can get in America somewhere...

So I think we have a shared culture... for example, Star Wars.  You can be Jewish or Muslim or Asian or biracial or a Republican or an anarchist or a gun owner and love Star Wars... so I think there's a lot that brings us together.

A very conservative evangelical Christian and a gay hippie from San Francisco can bond over a lot... chances are they've both gone to McDonalds, both shopped on Amazon, both listened to Aerosmith, both gone fishing with their dads...

I hate to see the country this divided... there's got to be some kind of unity.  I never thought it would come with Trump.  I didn't think it would come with Obama either.  We just don't live in consensus times, but the closest thing we have to a consensus is our culture - a Big Mac is our consensus.  (And I say this as I bite into one right now lol.)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 06:57:31 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2017, 06:59:16 PM by krazen1211 »

Divided? What malarkey is this?

One party won the Presidency, the House, the Senate, the Governorships, and many many many State Legislatures. We are quite united.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 08:46:32 PM »

One party won the Presidency, the House, the Senate, the Governorships, and many many many State Legislatures. We are quite united.

Are you joking?

We have two sides in this country that are at each other's throats with knives over the election.

We even had violent clashes in Berkeley California between pro-Trump and anti-Trump people for goodness sakes!
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 08:57:04 PM »

Are you joking?

We have two sides in this country that are at each other's throats with knives over the election.

We even had violent clashes in Berkeley California between pro-Trump and anti-Trump people for goodness sakes!

It must be nice to live in an alternative universe.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 08:57:52 PM »

We're not losing it, it's just rotten to the core.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 09:44:38 PM »

We're not losing it, it's just rotten to the core.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 10:08:37 PM »

That same party:

Lost the popular vote for President
Lost the popular vote for Senate
Gerrymandered their way to House victories
Explicitly ran a Presidential campaign on divisiveness and othering
Has a President with really bad approvals

We are far from united
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 10:09:23 PM »

That same party:

Lost the popular vote for President
Lost the popular vote for Senate
Gerrymandered their way to House victories
Explicitly ran a Presidential campaign on divisiveness and othering
Has a President with really bad approvals

We are far from united
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 11:29:47 PM »

Krazen...yeah.. lost the popular vote
lost ground in the senate
lost ground in the house

Changing the rules so your party wins even when they lose is many things... claiming it is a product of a united America is a crock of sh**t.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 11:47:18 PM »

Other than that whole popular vote and gerrymandering thing.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 08:42:12 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2017, 12:22:22 PM by angus »

I certainly don't know what "national identity" means to most people.

I don't either, but I know it has a specific meaning to most people.  Especially to immigrants.  I have four colleagues in my department who have become US citizens after having been born in other countries, and my wife recently--just last month--became a US citizen as well, after having lived in the US for 19 years.  I have had discussions with all of them regarding US culture and US identity.  They all have specific ideas about it.  Some mistaken, I'm sure, and their ideas are different from each other in some respects, although similar in others, but (delusional or not) they're definite and deeply-engrained perspectives.  This is why I voted as I did.  We are not in danger of losing our identity because each of us has a different idea of that identity and we all hold fast to them.  Moreover, all the aforementioned erstwhile aliens have adopted, or are trying to adopt, what they view as the US culture.  (i.e., the essential American culture mentioned in the OP.)

The title of the OP is a little misleading.  Every poll will show some division, but really only one of the three questions in the OP results in no clear majority, and it is on the question of influence of foreign governments.  Personally, I don't see it as a problem or a danger.  Our "way of life" has during our entire history been influenced by, and has had influence upon, foreign governments.  This is the normal give and take in a world connected--first by ships, then by airplanes, now by satellite-mediated electronic signals, and perhaps one day by direct particle transporters.  (If only Commander LaForge could get that damned Heisenberg Uncertainty Decoupler to function effectively!)  

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »

Are you joking?

No, we have one side that won the election, and some Snowflakes that are upset about losing the election and causing violence.

But strangely there were few such claims of 'division' before the Snowflakes lost bigly up and down the ballot. Funny how that works.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 09:17:00 AM »

Are you joking?

No, we have one side that won the election, and some Snowflakes that are upset about losing the election and causing violence.

But strangely there were few such claims of 'division' before the Snowflakes lost bigly up and down the ballot. Funny how that works.

We have one side that got more votes, and another side that managed to win anyway. That's not unity
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 01:38:29 PM »

I'm worried about the country losing identity, but less cultural identity and more political identity. There is a generation of youth that fails to understand the political heritage of the United States, and growing movements that outright reject the enlightenment values of liberal democracy. As we lean ever closer towards schism, these developments are not encouraging.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 02:09:04 PM »

America's best days are still ahead of it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 02:24:12 PM »

One Party wins -- and it divides America into supporters and  enemies.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »

I believe we have an essential American culture that immigrants adopt to, but add on to as well. Our core American values, traditions, and cuisine originate from many different countries.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 03:36:54 PM »

I believe we have an essential American culture that immigrants adopt to, but add on to as well. Our core American values, traditions, and cuisine originate from many different countries.

So at a kid's party in which all the participants are of British, Irish, German, and Scandinavian origin we find a pizza and a pinata gets smashed. That's one form of assimilation. American culture keeps redefining itself. That's healthy.

So some white kids decide that to get ahead in the educational system they might adopt educational habits of Chinese-American kids. That is very healthy. 

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies