North Korean Missile Crisis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:03:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  North Korean Missile Crisis
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: North Korean Missile Crisis  (Read 1687 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2017, 01:46:34 AM »
« edited: March 06, 2017, 02:00:02 AM by Meclazine »

North Korea has launched more missiles:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/28/politics/north-korea-obama-trump-threat/index.html

"Trump's concern over North Korea is in part fueled by his belief that North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un "may be crazy," the official said."

Will this be:

(A) Donald Trumps first military engagement with a sovereign nation; or

(B) An economic wrestle with China to get them to sort it out at their end.

Trump may threaten the Chinese with less preferential trade and finance conditions on their relationship.

I just dont want Donald to touch my favourite female battalions:

https://youtu.be/FwEkaGYBdHs

That does it. I am buying my girlfriend a North Korean military uniform for this Friday night.

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 01:54:34 AM »

Would there be a way to build a quick coalition with South Korea, China, Russia and Japan and use surface to air missiles to hit their military targets?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 01:55:11 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2017, 02:06:28 AM by Beet »

1. North Korea has been launching missiles for years. This one is in response to joint US-South Korea naval exercises.

2. If Kim Jong Un was "crazy", he would not have stayed in power for so long.

3. There is no way Russia or China would join an anti-North Korea coalition.

That does it. I am buying my girlfriend a North Korean military uniform for this Friday night.

There are better reasons not to want the first attack on a nuclear armed state in human history.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 03:18:09 AM »

A wonderful practical joke for Trump but Kim really should have waited until April 1st.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 06:36:34 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2017, 06:41:36 AM by Meclazine »

There are better reasons not to want the first attack on a nuclear armed state in human history.

I am paying that one LOL!

Check out the little blue plastic bombers at 3:42.

The trucks carrying them are from 1967. I should not laugh.

This is not going to end well once Trump gets involved.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 07:30:46 AM »

Only if insanity prevails would this result in some kind of armed conflict. North Korea has been launching ballistic missiles and making threats for years; no sane person takes them literally at this point.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 07:43:28 AM »

I wonder why we haven't started using them for target practice yet.  I suppose it would be super embarrassing if we miss....'though not as embarrassing as missing a real one heading to Tokyo would be.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 03:11:17 PM »

I wonder why we haven't started using them for target practice yet.  I suppose it would be super embarrassing if we miss....'though not as embarrassing as missing a real one heading to Tokyo would be.

That's what I said. I'm quite surprised we haven't sent them a message by hitting their military targets. No nukes, no boots on the ground, no targeting of civilians. But we can turn their few amateur launchpads into rubble fast.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 03:20:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 03:31:39 PM »

2. If Kim Jong Un was "crazy", he would not have stayed in power for so long.

You underestimate the power of crazy people.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 03:39:49 PM »

Are you crazy? Are people actually advocating an attack on a nuclear armed state? I thought Trump campaigned on peace.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »

Deploying THAAD to ROK has been in the works since last year, BTW, so Trump would essentially just be speeding up an Obama-era decision, and likely taking bigly credit for it, as he is wont to do
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 04:28:48 PM »

Deploying THAAD to ROK has been in the works since last year, BTW, so Trump would essentially just be speeding up an Obama-era decision, and likely taking bigly credit for it, as he is wont to do
¨
One could argue that it also would apply to Trump's deportation and #MuslimBan EO.
Obama was "Deporter in Chief" - Trump speeds it up and will take credit for it.
Obama introduced #MuslimVetting for refugees and #MuslimVisaWaver. Trump went further and will take credit for it.

obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2015/11/20/infographic-screening-process-refugee-entry-united-states
dhs.gov/news/2016/02/18/dhs-announces-further-travel-restrictions-visa-waiver-program

What would you say if Trump keeps (more or less) Obamacare and keeps his promise about investment in infrastructure...?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 04:56:17 PM »

It's about time Kim Jon Un got overthrown to be honest. If anything Trump should strike a secret deal with China, S Korea, Japan to start overthrowing the current regime

North Korea has nuclear weapons. If those get blown up in a major city, thousands die.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 05:35:35 PM »

North Korea's trolling for attention, Part 101.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 05:54:00 PM »

North Korea's trolling for attention, Part 101.

No wonder Trump doesn't like them.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 05:55:33 PM »

It's about time Kim Jon Un got overthrown to be honest. If anything Trump should strike a secret deal with China, S Korea, Japan to start overthrowing the current regime

And replace it with what? The biggest and most expensive humanitarian crisis this century? With nuclear, chemical, and bioweapon proliferation on top of that?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 06:01:14 PM »

And replace it with what? The biggest and most expensive humanitarian crisis this century? With nuclear, chemical, and bioweapon proliferation on top of that?

This is why South Korea doesn't want reunification. They know they wouldn't stomach this.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 06:11:58 PM »

¨
One could argue that it also would apply to Trump's deportation and #MuslimBan EO.
Obama introduced #MuslimVetting for refugees and #MuslimVisaWaver. Trump went further and will take credit for it.

obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2015/11/20/infographic-screening-process-refugee-entry-united-states
dhs.gov/news/2016/02/18/dhs-announces-further-travel-restrictions-visa-waiver-program

What would you say if Trump keeps (more or less) Obamacare and keeps his promise about investment in infrastructure...?

His infrastructure plan seems very inflationary, so I'm not a big fan. Honestly, if he got the hell off of Twitter, listened to people who know their stuff instead of Bannon, and it turns out he didn't have anything to do with Russia, he could actually be a halfway-okay President. I'm not holding my breath for any of those three things happening
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 07:40:56 PM »

Most likely a puppet state of the People's Republic of China. China is the most likely and most ready country to overthrow the vile regime. You can be reasonably certain that the Chinese already have a shadow government for North Korea (it probably also has such regimes awaiting South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, and probably even the USA and India in the event that something gets fishy).

Another alternative is a "Republic of Northern Korea" analogous to the "Republic of Southern Vietnam" established by the victorious Communists in the wake of the final conquest of the South as 'preparation' for unification -- except that the "Republic of Northern Korea" would be making political reforms compatible with a unified Korea.

I am guessing that China would be satisfied with a neutral, unified, WMD-free, capitalist Korea that evicts US military bases even if it is a democracy. South Korea is less troublesome to China than is North Korea.     
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 07:50:16 PM »

Most likely a puppet state of the People's Republic of China. China is the most likely and most ready country to overthrow the vile regime. You can be reasonably certain that the Chinese already have a shadow government for North Korea
They even groomed a member of the Kim family to be the figurehead leader. He was poisoned by an Indonesian girl wearing a LOL shirt.

Roll Eyes

The only way China agrees to allow Korean reunification is if it officially declares itself neutral and amends its constitution to forbid the presence of foreign troops under any pretext.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 03:04:22 AM »

¨

Hasthags? Really?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 10:35:42 AM »

Anyway, I'm not really concerned about North Korea having nukes. It's always been clear they think of this as a way of regime survival. Unless we're facing Operation Samson situation, I can't see them using it.

That being said, the real danger is North Korea exporting nuclear secrets, just as they exported missile technology to, among others, Pakistan, for which Pakistan gave North Koreans some assistance with developing nukes.

When Gaddafi came to power, he attempted to purchase nukes from China, offering s**tload of cash. The Chinese refused, but North Korea is really cash-hungry. I can see something similar.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies