HOUSE BILL: Support Victims of Mental Disorders Act (Passed - Sent to VP)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:04:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE BILL: Support Victims of Mental Disorders Act (Passed - Sent to VP)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HOUSE BILL: Support Victims of Mental Disorders Act (Passed - Sent to VP)  (Read 1824 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:33:27 AM »
« edited: March 23, 2017, 04:37:38 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Representative Simossad
House Designation: HB 1084 - Support Victims of Mental Disorders Act
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:33:49 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to begin advocating for this legislation!
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »

Thank you for bringing this to the floor.

The main purposes of this bill are to rise the awareness of mental illnesses and to support the people who suffer under those. A similar proposal was introduced in the Fremont Assembly and supported by an unanimous vote in which members of both parties expressed their favor of this bill.

Mental illnesses is an issue that has been ignored by politics for too long. But in fact, we should talk a bit more about this. Statistics show that one in four American citizens suffer from a mental illness during their lifetime. That includes depression, anxiety as well as addiction. $100,000,000,000 is the estimated economic cost of untreated mental illness in our country. This includes unemployment, unnecessary disability, substance abuse and more. 800,000 is the number of people globally who die by suicide a year.

People who suffer from those illnesses have to fight daily struggles no one can imagine. I believe that we should support these people as much as we can, and that we should show understanding and tolerance, and that we raise the awareness of the people for this issue.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »

I can support this, but I'm worried about the financials.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 08:51:13 PM »

I am very happy that simossad has brought this bill to the floor. Proper  mental health funding has sadly been something that has traditionally been ignored by government, and this bill will attempt to finally bring in a proper framework for dealing with mental heath. 
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 10:06:07 PM »

I'd be happy to support this. Cheesy

Those with mental disorders are often overlooked and it's time to turn it around.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 01:12:29 AM »

With no debate for 24 hours I motion for a final vote on this bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 04:38:32 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2017, 05:11:04 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

I don't like the idea of putting unfunded mandates on the regions.

This has already passed in Fremont correct? Would it be possible to make this more of a collaborative effort than a top-down dictate?

Consider this a tentative objection to the call for a final vote.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »

This has already passed in Fremont correct? Would it be possible to make this more of a collaborative effort than a top-down dictate?

I like to thank you for expression your concerns that I fully understand.

If we leave it up to the regions, even if we urge them to work together on a solution, we'll going to have the result that there will be different standards in different regions, or even no standard. This is not fair for the millions of people who have to fight mental illnesses and who are treated worse than people who fight the same struggles but live in regions that care more about these issues.

If you find a satisfactory amendment for both the regions and the people we want to help, then I'll support this. But in cases of doubt, we always have to support the people, as we are the People's House of Representatives, and not the Regions' House of Representatives.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 04:57:47 AM »
« Edited: March 11, 2017, 05:01:43 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

I like to thank you for expression your concerns that I fully understand.

If we leave it up to the regions, even if we urge them to work together on a solution, we'll going to have the result that there will be different standards in different regions, or even no standard. This is not fair for the millions of people who have to fight mental illnesses and who are treated worse than people who fight the same struggles but live in regions that care more about these issues.

If you find a satisfactory amendment for both the regions and the people we want to help, then I'll support this. But in cases of doubt, we always have to support the people, as we are the People's House of Representatives, and not the Regions' House of Representatives.

Yes we are the People's House of Representatives, and therefore we should fund this effort in the name of the of people and not dump the costs on the regions. It also opens the risk that the regions will cut other mental health programs that they already fund to comply with this mandated cost.

If you provide a revenue stream to the regions, you can attach whatever requirements you want including the "set standard" in order to receive that money. However, they regions can go further in the process and supplement our funding to provide additional resources to the mentally ill then can the Federal gov't acting alone with a dictate to the regions to provide funding themselves.

Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 08:48:20 PM »

As someone with a mental disorder, this is a good bill, and I laud the sponsor on what is clearly a well-researched proposal. While Yankee has a good point here, I don't think it's enough of a negative to outweigh the positives in the rest of the bill, and I will support it.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 09:09:44 PM »

I feel that I can be of assistance here with my personal experiences, despite not being a member of the House.

Potentially, local mental health teams that are free at the point of use could be beneficial and could be funded through this bill. These teams could visit homes, as well as assist with issues via a hotline as mentioned. Additionally, I feel that every student at school should have access to a mental health expert, either someone employed by the school or someone from the local mental health teams.

Also, I feel that funding of mental health hospitals should be considered, as it would allow a safe environment to start recovering from mental health problems around people who understand the problems without the pressures of the real world. On top of this, there would be access to activities - many of which are group based - and Psychiatrists/Psychologists.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 05:33:23 PM »

As someone with a mental disorder, this is a good bill, and I laud the sponsor on what is clearly a well-researched proposal. While Yankee has a good point here, I don't think it's enough of a negative to outweigh the positives in the rest of the bill, and I will support it.

I have championed mental health issues for 4 years in this game.

I am not saying kill the bill over this problem, I am saying lets the take the responsibility ourselves to fund this lest the regions strip money from other badly needed mental health services to fund this mandated cost imposed upon them.

It might even be unconstitutional.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »

Also, I feel that funding of mental health hospitals should be considered, as it would allow a safe environment to start recovering from mental health problems around people who understand the problems without the pressures of the real world. On top of this, there would be access to activities - many of which are group based - and Psychiatrists/Psychologists.

I agree with this. Duke and I provided substantial amounts of funding in the Comprehensive Duke-Yankee Mental Health Reform act of 2013, only to have it vetoed because the bill was "too complex".

One of the greatest problems in mental health is the lack of facilities and trained professionals, largely as a result of budget cuts. Once again this is an area where we should partner with the regions to multiply resources, and also, this is an area that could be threatened if the unfunded mandate in the underlying bill is preserved, as regions shift money from these facilities to cover compliance with the Federal mandate.

I will be offering an amendment later on this matter.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 07:18:30 PM »

I agree with this. Duke and I provided substantial amounts of funding in the Comprehensive Duke-Yankee Mental Health Reform act of 2013, only to have it vetoed because the bill was "too complex".

One of the greatest problems in mental health is the lack of facilities and trained professionals, largely as a result of budget cuts. Once again this is an area where we should partner with the regions to multiply resources, and also, this is an area that could be threatened if the unfunded mandate in the underlying bill is preserved, as regions shift money from these facilities to cover compliance with the Federal mandate.

Can this amendment also have more responsible financials?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 07:38:25 PM »

Can this amendment also have more responsible financials?

Like a dedicated funding stream?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 02:31:42 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
[/quote]
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 02:37:43 AM »

[/quote]
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 02:56:30 AM »

Amendment is friendly.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 03:20:39 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2017, 02:58:38 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

[/quote]

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »

I can support this.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States