Confirmation Hearing: Harry S. Truman for AG (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:14:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Harry S. Truman for AG (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Harry S. Truman for AG (Confirmed)  (Read 644 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »
« edited: March 16, 2017, 11:43:39 AM by Goldwater »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Okay, it's time to start doing this. I will allow 72 hours for you guys to ask the nominee questions, then we can get on with the voting.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:37:35 PM »

My thanks to the vice president. I am ready and waiting to answer any questions y'all have for me.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 04:25:59 PM »

Do you promise to put your nation and job ahead of any ideology or personal preferences?
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 04:38:54 PM »

Since this is a new position, what's your vision of how you see it fitting in with the rest of the cabinet and how do you see yourself as an AG?  Do you think there are any issues not currently being prosecuted in Atlasia that should be? 
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »

Do you promise to put your nation and job ahead of any ideology or personal preferences?
Well, naturally. This is not a partisan position, and if I may be permitted to sound my own horn a little, I think I've amply exhibited my ability to set aside my political leanings and administer the law fairly and honestly in the past as Presiding Officer of the ConCon, as the 29th PPT of the Senate, and as a cabinet officer in three Federalist administrations. The Attorney General has one job, and one job only: to uphold the Constitution and the laws of the Republic of Atlasia. Such will be the sole aim of my work in this position.

Since this is a new position, what's your vision of how you see it fitting in with the rest of the cabinet and how do you see yourself as an AG?  Do you think there are any issues not currently being prosecuted in Atlasia that should be? 
For all intents and purposes, I was the de facto Attorney General for the duration of my tenure as Secretary of the Interior, so if I thought someone needed to be sued, they would already be in court. Apart from the obvious prosecutorial and law enforcement powers of this office, I see myself interacting with the rest of the cabinet and the game at-large in three primary avenues:

(1) Providing legal advice to the president and Congress regarding new legislation,
               executive initiatives, etc;
               (2) Being a resource to citizens who feel their constitutional rights have been infringed,
               or who have questions regarding the Constitution or federal law;
               (3) When necessary, prosecuting offenders for violations of the Constitution.

For an example of how No. 3 would work out in practice, I would refer the Senate to my handling of the Baronelle Stutzman Act a few months ago. For those who weren't aware, in the last session of the Southern Chamber of Delegates there was introduced a bill that would have allowed all private businesses, without distinction, to refuse service to LGBTQ+ customers. Such was a clear violation of the Evergreen-Tmthforu Civil Rights Act of 2016 and by extension the Civil Rights Act of 1964. I made my objections known to the Chamber, explained why and how the bill was unconstitutional, and answered the questions of the sponsor who was (predictably) unhappy with my interpretation. Ultimately, the bill was tabled by a motion of then-Speaker Diptheridan, who cited my testimony as the rationale for his action. Had the bill passed the legislature and been signed into law, I would have then brought the case before the Supreme Court.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 03:43:01 AM »

When you were President, you merged this office into the SoIA. Why do you hate the office you're being appointed to? Tongue

How will you balance this role with your role as Prime Minister of Fremont, and do you foresee any conflicts of interests will arise from that?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 11:46:33 PM »

When you were President, you merged this office into the SoIA. Why do you hate the office you're being appointed to? Tongue
I don't hate the Justice Department, I hate the Internal Affairs Department. Tongue Seriously, though I merged the SoIA with the AG because I felt the former would benefit from a more specific role in upholding federal law, and expanding his portfolio to include the powers of defense and prosecution seemed the best way to accomplish that. The current president disagrees, which is fine; as long as I get to drone on about the Constitution, I'm happy.

How will you balance this role with your role as Prime Minister of Fremont, and do you foresee any conflicts of interests will arise from that?
I have effectively been doing as much since January, as the reforms you mentioned in your first question made me de facto Attorney General for the duration of my tenure as SotI/SoIA. I find it helpful to imagine myself as two separate people, rather than one person doing two jobs. When I'm in Fremont, I examine the issues from the perspective of a regional executive whose job it is to protect the interests of his constituents; then, when I come to Nyman, I take off that hat and assume the role of an neutral party tasked with upholding the integrity of the law and the legal system. If there were ever a situation where I felt I was not able to keep these jobs separated, I would immediately recuse myself and ask the president to appoint a special prosecutor to ensure that the federal system and the separation of powers is preserved.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 04:13:51 AM »

Would you care to weigh in on the cinyc v. Lincoln case that is currently being deliberated at the Supreme Court?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 05:22:41 AM »

as long as I get to drone on about the Constitution, I'm happy.

Bucking for "#1 Worst" I see. Tongue
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 01:18:10 AM »

Would you care to weigh in on the cinyc v. Lincoln case that is currently being deliberated at the Supreme Court?
While I have not followed the case particularly closely, in the past I have expressed my belief that the regions have right to regulate their own elections, and it seems to me that the power to specify the qualifications of electors to be central to that right. If a region can state that only member of the legislative body may vote in senatorial elections, for instance (a possibility that the ConCon anticipated and provided for when drafting Article III), it follows that they might otherwise restrict the body of eligible voters. I won't presume to state how the court ought rule, however, as I'm sure the justices have given the matter much more thought and consideration.

I never do things in halves. Wink
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 01:37:33 AM »

So, any more questions? Or is everyone ready for a final vote?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 11:43:14 AM »

I'll take your silence as permission to bring this to final vote. The vote to confirm Harry S. Truman for the position or Attorney General will last 72 Hours or until all Senators have voted. Please Vote AYE, NAY, or Abstain.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 12:41:01 PM »

Aye
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 02:26:54 PM »

Aye
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »

Aye.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 03:27:21 PM »

Aye
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 11:17:59 PM »

Aye
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 12:12:02 AM »

Aye (unanimous vote--BORING!!! Tongue)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 11:37:37 AM »

By a vote of 6-0, Harry S. Truman is hereby appointed to the position of Attorney General.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies