FT: Affordable College Education Act (law)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:25:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT: Affordable College Education Act (law)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT: Affordable College Education Act (law)  (Read 654 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:40:44 PM »
« edited: March 14, 2017, 07:10:45 PM by Prime Minister Truman »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: Harry S Truman, PM
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:10:52 PM »

In the interests of time, I have taken the liberty of bringing this bill to the floor myself in my capacity as President of the House of Commons.

The intent of this bill is, I hope, fairly self-explanatory. In recent years, the price of tuition to institutions of higher education has been spiraling out of control; simultaneously, a college diploma has become a pre-requisite for many if not most forms of employment. The result is that our students walk away from their commencement ceremony saddled with debt, while others must forgo an education they simply cannot afford. This bill would address the worst effects of this problem by capping tuition to public colleges and universities in Fremont at $8,000 a year, and so-called "application fees" at $25.

I'm interested to hear what the Commons thinks of this, and particularly if they have any ideas for improving the proposal (a few have occurred to me in the course of writing this post, but I'd prefer to hear what others have to say first).
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »

How do you expect the colleges to change their budgets now that they will be making less tuition $s?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 05:21:49 PM »

How do you expect the colleges to change their budgets now that they will be making less tuition $s?
I would be happy to provide a buffer period, to adjust the nominal rate slightly upward, or to specify that the tuition cap applies only to in-region residents if you feel it advisable. Beyond that, it's worth noting that many if not most public colleges in Fremont already charge tuition ≤ $8,000 annually.  CSU, for example, charges ~$5,700 a year for in-state residents (Source); in Washington, tuition for in-state students attending a public university averages at ~$5,200 annually (Source); in New Mexico, that number is $2,900 (Source). It is also true that the rising cost of college attendance can be traced, in part, to less-than-necessary spending projects that enhance a university's prestige in the eyes of college ranking publications, but have a negligible effect on the university itself (Source). In other words, it is possible for colleges to survive without charging in-region students exorbitant amounts. Furthermore, tuition is not the only source of income for public colleges; most of these schools also receive funding from state and regional governments, federal grant programs, and alumni donors. If these schools actually need more money, we can explore ways to increase any of those three funding avenues.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 05:30:04 PM »

Despite my conservatism, I am a strong advocate of affordable higher education and as such support this measure.  Your response to RPryor's queries solidifies my support of this legislation.
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 07:52:23 PM »

I would be happy to provide a buffer period, to adjust the nominal rate slightly upward, or to specify that the tuition cap applies only to in-region residents if you feel it advisable. Beyond that, it's worth noting that many if not most public colleges in Fremont already charge tuition ≤ $8,000 annually.  CSU, for example, charges ~$5,700 a year for in-state residents (Source); in Washington, tuition for in-state students attending a public university averages at ~$5,200 annually (Source); in New Mexico, that number is $2,900 (Source). It is also true that the rising cost of college attendance can be traced, in part, to less-than-necessary spending projects that enhance a university's prestige in the eyes of college ranking publications, but have a negligible effect on the university itself (Source). In other words, it is possible for colleges to survive without charging in-region students exorbitant amounts. Furthermore, tuition is not the only source of income for public colleges; most of these schools also receive funding from state and regional governments, federal grant programs, and alumni donors. If these schools actually need more money, we can explore ways to increase any of those three funding avenues.

I agree with your arguments, but never the less a buffer period should be included so everyone has time to adjust. Not just the colleges, but also various programs that offer student aid. I'd say 6 months or a standard semester should be sufficient.
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 08:11:54 PM »

I move to amend as follows:

24 hours to object.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 09:15:23 PM »

Amendment is friendly.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 09:42:35 PM »

And, I believe, the amendment has been adopted.
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 03:29:08 PM »

Well, since we seem to be done with debate, I move to approve the bill as currently stated.
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »

24 hours to object to the motion to go to a vote.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 11:31:21 PM »

I support the motion.
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 01:36:37 AM »

Voting is now opened.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 02:02:10 AM »

AYE.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 02:19:44 AM »

Aye
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 02:35:57 AM »

Aye
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »

Aye
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 07:07:18 PM »

With four votes in favor and none opposed, and with one Member not voting, this legislation has been ADOPTED.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies