Will Obamacare repeal/replace pass Congress?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:08:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Obamacare repeal/replace pass Congress?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: skip
Yes

No, Obamacare will remain in place

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Will Obamacare repeal/replace pass Congress?  (Read 3512 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 01:28:04 PM »

Of all the hypocritical bs that Congressional Republicans have pulled over the years, trying to ram through their own healthcare legislation without a CBO score has gotta be top 5.

It's almost as if the only principle most Republicans have is "Cut taxes on the rich" and every other position will be changed when convinient.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 01:41:46 PM »

No, this absolutely will not pass. The best they can do is implement minor tweaks to ObamaCare that'll garner virtual unanimous approval among Republican office holders. The real question is what happens to the Republicans when they prove unable to accomplish what was arguably their primary campaign issue even with total Republican control. How will their base respond to that failure? How will Republicans run on the issue of healthcare in 2018?
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 01:51:50 PM »

This might not even get past the House:

Kyle Cheney @kyledcheney
House conservatives emerge from meeting suggesting GOP health care bill has serious problems, willl need D support - not theirs - to pass

Any Democrat who votes for Ryancare should be primaried. I don't care how Republican-leaning their district is.
Also why would any dem vote for it when so many Rs are against it? They have the perfect excuse for right leaning districts "hey your own party hates it"

They can even break out the old line: "the only thing bipartisan about Obamacare repeal is the opposition"
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 01:57:36 PM »

The real question is what happens to the Republicans when they prove unable to accomplish what was arguably their primary campaign issue even with total Republican control. How will their base respond to that failure? How will Republicans run on the issue of healthcare in 2018?

Most of them will have voted for the repeal.  They can blame the failure to pass it on the RINO squishes like Susan Collins who voted it down (never mind the fact that some of those voting against it have objections from the right).
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 10:24:09 PM »

Susan Collins says that the House Bill is DOA in the senate, and that she will push for her & Bill Cassidy's federalist proposal instead:

https://twitter.com/colincampbell/status/839544116396638218?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 10:29:36 PM »

Susan Collins says that the House Bill is DOA in the senate, and that she will push for her & Bill Cassidy's federalist proposal instead:

https://twitter.com/colincampbell/status/839544116396638218?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

What is her and Cassidy's federalist proposal? I think I read a while back it lets states decide if they want to keep their Obamacare which basically means their bill is Obamacare

Here's a summary: http://www.cassidy.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2.14%20One%20Pager.pdf
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 11:20:33 PM »

Obamacare has turned into Medicaid expansion, and the GOP won't repeal it.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 11:25:37 PM »

So apparently Trump told Tea Party members meeting him tonight it's either Trumpcare passes or if it dies in congress he will wipe his hands of it all, let Obamacare fail, and blame the dems........I can think of 5 things off the bat that could go wrongly with that
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 11:26:25 PM »

in a strange move, super-partisan hannity-brother-from-another-mother Fox News personality Eric Bolling rages against the AHCA as a "insurance industry giveaway".

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/839646573650935814

not important in itself but maybe a sign of general republican doubting.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 03:38:21 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2017, 04:54:15 PM by Ronnie »

Trump going full psycho:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hey Donald, your party is in power in both chambers of congress and the executive branch.  You can blame the Democrats all you want for your party's inability to govern, but it won't work.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 04:51:33 PM »

Tom Cotton made a few different tweets re: the house bill early this morning:

https://twitter.com/TomCottonAR/status/839791318020866048

https://twitter.com/TomCottonAR/status/839792503750602752

https://twitter.com/TomCottonAR/status/839793130425761793
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »

Uh oh, Bill Kristol just said that the bill will fail:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/03/09/bill_kristol_house_gop_obamacare_repeal_and_replace_bill_going_to_fall_apart_will_not_have_a_vote.html

Is it already time for opponents of the bill to lay down their arms and give up?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 05:24:04 PM »

Uh oh, Bill Kristol just said that the bill will fail:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/03/09/bill_kristol_house_gop_obamacare_repeal_and_replace_bill_going_to_fall_apart_will_not_have_a_vote.html

Is it already time for opponents of the bill to lay down their arms and give up?

Damn I guess this thing really is passing
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 06:37:45 PM »

Could the Cassidy-Collins bill pass, assuming that Trump and the congressional leadership endorsed it after the current bill fails?  Unlike Ryan's version, it would not lose votes to any defections from the "left" end of the spectrum within the GOP caucus.  (I mean, Susan Collins co-wrote it, so I guess that's a given.)  But would there be so many defections on the right that it wouldn't pass?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 07:04:21 PM »

Could the Cassidy-Collins bill pass, assuming that Trump and the congressional leadership endorsed it after the current bill fails?  Unlike Ryan's version, it would not lose votes to any defections from the "left" end of the spectrum within the GOP caucus.  (I mean, Susan Collins co-wrote it, so I guess that's a given.)  But would there be so many defections on the right that it wouldn't pass?

Collins-Cassidy is actually a pretty sharp bill, IMO, but Democrats have little incentive (right now) to help it become reality. So idk, I think we're keeping the pretty mediocre ACA
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2017, 12:24:14 PM »

Collins-Cassidy is actually a pretty sharp bill, IMO, but Democrats have little incentive (right now) to help it become reality. So idk, I think we're keeping the pretty mediocre ACA
The universal catastrophic coverage is something that I've long considered to be an interesting idea, so I'm actually rather intrigued by the bill too, as much as I hate to admit it.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2017, 04:59:58 PM »

In case you were wondering how Breitbart felt:

"7 Reasons Why Obamacare 2.0 Is All But Guaranteed to Impose Crushing Costs on Voters, Hurt Trump’s Base, And Hand Power Back to the Democrats"

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/03/10/7-reasons-why-obamacare-2-0-is-all-but-guaranteed-to-impose-crushing-costs-on-voters-hurt-trumps-base-and-hand-power-back-to-the-democrats/
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies