Fox: WikiLeaks releases huge archive of secret CIA documents and hacking tools
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:06:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fox: WikiLeaks releases huge archive of secret CIA documents and hacking tools
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Fox: WikiLeaks releases huge archive of secret CIA documents and hacking tools  (Read 2325 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2017, 09:55:45 AM »
« edited: March 07, 2017, 10:00:52 AM by Virginia »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/07/wikileaks-releases-entire-hacking-capacity-cia.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I have to admit, even as someone who generally favors disclosure of overreaching digital surveillance programs, releasing actual hacking tools and what I imagine are also zero day exploits is extremely inappropriate and dangerous. Hopefully whatever was released is not everything needed to implement each of the pieces of malware because analyses of the US Intel Community's malware suites have shown significant sophistication and would make them arguably the most powerful spying platforms in the world. It's hard to say how reckless such a public release would be.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:21:52 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/07/wikileaks-releases-entire-hacking-capacity-cia.html

I have to admit, even as someone who generally favors disclosure of overreaching digital surveillance programs, releasing actual hacking tools and what I imagine are also zero day exploits is extremely inappropriate and dangerous. Hopefully whatever was released is not everything needed to implement each of the pieces of malware because analyses of the US Intel Community's malware suites have shown significant sophistication and would make them arguably the most powerful spying platforms in the world. It's hard to say how reckless such a public release would be.

At this point, Ecuadorian government should be pressured with harsh economic sanctions (among other things, maybe threatening to add them to the list of state sponsors of terrorism) to turn over Assange to the CIA.  He's clearly a serious threat to America's national security at this point.  I don't care whether he's a Trump shill or not, but he's clearly a Russian agent or ally who has done serious damage to our nation's security and will inevitably put American lives in danger if he hasn't already (I'm sure he has, but admittedly don't know enough to say for sure).  It's really a shame b/c there is a very real need for a good-faith version of Wikileaks and for a while, Assange was releasing information the public truly needed to know (although even then, he was a fugitive from justice and all-around creep). 
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:31:02 AM »

Please die Assange
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:33:21 AM »

If they literally published the hardware and made it open to the public than that is indeed a threat to the general public. I'm a Wikileaks fan but for their own sake they have to be careful.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:35:59 AM »

If they literally published the hardware and made it open to the public than that is indeed a threat to the general public. I'm a Wikileaks fan but for their own sake they have to be careful.

'Member Saudi gays?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:40:09 AM »

At this point, Ecuadorian government should be pressured with harsh economic sanctions (among other things, maybe threatening to add them to the list of state sponsors of terrorism) to turn over Assange to the CIA.  He's clearly a serious threat to America's national security at this point.  I don't care whether he's a Trump shill or not, but he's clearly a Russian agent or ally who has done serious damage to our nation's security and will inevitably put American lives in danger if he hasn't already (I'm sure he has, but admittedly don't know enough to say for sure).  It's really a shame b/c there is a very real need for a good-faith version of Wikileaks and for a while, Assange was releasing information the public truly needed to know (although even then, he was a fugitive from justice and all-around creep). 

Too bad Trump isn't going to do sh[inks] to the guy who basically won the election for him, especially since Assange/Wikileaks/FSB doubtless have tons of Kompromat on him that they can dump if he or his administration try to do anything.
EnglishPete

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 11:19:30 AM »

I think that ship sailed a long time ago.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »

What suspicious timing
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 11:31:37 AM »

Shooting the messenger already.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 11:33:24 AM »

Those tools were probably used in first place to spy on and "hack elections" in foreign countries. Lead by example, huh?  

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Intelligence_Agency#History
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 11:34:18 AM »

Those tools were probably used in first place to spy on and "hack elections" in foreign countries. Lead by example?  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Intelligence_Agency#History
Where is the outrage about Obama supporting Netanyahu's opponents.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 11:35:20 AM »

I agree, they are going too far here. The CIA can't really operate under these conditions.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 01:28:52 PM »

This is awesome. Light is always the best disinfectant. Unlike others, I don't fear the CIA's hacking tools being revealed. I'm not a fan of big government. The CIA should not have relied on insecurity through obscurity!
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 01:37:17 PM »

Those tools were probably used in first place to spy on and "hack elections" in foreign countries. Lead by example?  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Intelligence_Agency#History

Was it financial support?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 01:43:33 PM »

Assange is just a figurehead. Wikileaks itself is basically a front. The sheer amount of information released in their "disclosures" are beyond the processing capabilities of a pro-transparency activist organization.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »

obama's words are a real threat for bibi.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 02:13:40 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2017, 02:26:23 PM by TD »

I feel disgusted by who I'm in agreement with but I am compelled to believe this is a good thing and that the intelligence community needs to be actively opposed as far as their mass snooping goes. I am increasingly beginning to wonder if the intel leaks on Russia against Trump - while I like it - may not have consequences down the road, e.g, the intelligence community takes out a President they don't like who may be perfectly fine?

Again, feeling violently ill but the intelligence community is making me question their motives.

EDIT: I know Wikileaks is going for this reaction and hoping to ding the intelligence community as they work on making the case against Trump. So that makes this even worse.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »

I feel disgusted by who I'm in agreement with but I am compelled to believe this is a good thing and that the intelligence community needs to be actively opposed as far as their mass snooping goes. I am increasingly beginning to wonder if the intel leaks on Russia against Trump - while I like it - may not have consequences down the road, e.g, the intelligence community takes out a President they don't like who may be perfectly fine?

Again, feeling violently ill but the intelligence community is making me question their motives.

EDIT: I know Wikileaks is going for this reaction and hoping to ding the intelligence community as they work on making the case against Trump. So that makes this even worse.

This is a point that folks like jfern and Averroes have been making; "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" is a very dangerous doctrine and ignoring questionable activities on that basis is very dangerous practice. When it becomes acceptable for the CIA to undermine the sitting President, you open the door for that to happen to a future President that you may approve of.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »

i am suuuuuuuuuuuure other nations aren't going to use that knowledge.

well, to be fair, WL is only publishing what their russian masters allow them to.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 02:50:51 PM »

To what extent is Assange still responsible for the day-to-day operation of WikiLeaks? There has to be someone ready to step in and fill the void if he gets arrested, right?
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »

If the CIA had been dissolved after the Cold War like Senator Moynihan suggested at the time then this wouldn't be a problem.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 03:02:58 PM »

To what extent is Assange still responsible for the day-to-day operation of WikiLeaks? There has to be someone ready to step in and fill the void if he gets arrested, right?

Why cut my fingernails if they'll grow back?  
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 03:05:39 PM »

If the CIA had been dissolved after the Cold War like Senator Moynihan suggested at the time then this wouldn't be a problem.

who needs those annoying foreign intelligence services anyway?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 03:13:23 PM »

This is a point that folks like jfern and Averroes have been making; "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" is a very dangerous doctrine and ignoring questionable activities on that basis is very dangerous practice. When it becomes acceptable for the CIA to undermine the sitting President, you open the door for that to happen to a future President that you may approve of.

If the future President I approve of is doing things that involve treason or perjury, then I might not approve of that President for very long.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 03:16:31 PM »

Unless these revelations are compromising ongoing operations or reveals identity of operatives, then it's acceptable whistleblowing.

Every country needs foreign intelligence. Whether it should be organized like CIA, though, is a matter of debate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies