Ben Carson calls slaves 'immigrants' who worked harder 'for less' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:38:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ben Carson calls slaves 'immigrants' who worked harder 'for less' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ben Carson calls slaves 'immigrants' who worked harder 'for less'  (Read 1409 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 07, 2017, 11:32:00 PM »

Are "immigrants" only those who decide of their own volition to move somewhere because they think it would be neat?

Yes. The definition of immigration is that it's voluntary.

Then please provide a word that means the same thing without the distinction of it being voluntary.

Enslaved? Trafficked? Sold?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 01:20:59 AM »

A lot of words and indignation to waste over a wacky and thoughtless Ben Carson comment, but the "no, actually you're being offensive by not calling them immigrants" bit is one of the most tendentious arguments that I've ever read on this forum.

No one was arguing that. 

Maybe the offensive thing is the idea that slaves were human beings who had hopes and dreams for their children and grandchildren?

Oh right, I forgot that slaves have no human agency or ability to hope for their children to have a better life than them even in the worst of circumstances. Silly me!

It is outrageous.  African American slaves built up an entire culture around hope and resilience in the face of oppression and adversity. It is insulting to their memory to deny them this.

Is this some kind of post-modernist thing or are you just being obtuse?

Being obtuse is Shua's main schtick.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies