US private sector created 235K jobs in Feb. vs. 190K est BLS (UPDATED) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:28:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US private sector created 235K jobs in Feb. vs. 190K est BLS (UPDATED) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US private sector created 235K jobs in Feb. vs. 190K est BLS (UPDATED)  (Read 3792 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 08, 2017, 11:40:58 AM »

Remember how a crowd of sycophants would emerge to cheer the Dear Leader and remind us all of how good we really had it whenever we had a positive jobs report under the Obama administration, ignoring stagnant median pay, shifting sectors of work, precariousness, and the uneven geography of job growth?

Oh. I guess they're still going to do that. Roll Eyes

This is what bothers me about economics. It makes pretensions of being the most rigorous of the social sciences, yet it is so intertwined with partisan politics that people refuse to recognize what is happening as long as they can spin the numbers.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 01:25:37 PM »

Remember how a crowd of sycophants would emerge to cheer the Dear Leader and remind us all of how good we really had it whenever we had a positive jobs report under the Obama administration, ignoring stagnant median pay, shifting sectors of work, precariousness, and the uneven geography of job growth?

Oh. I guess they're still going to do that. Roll Eyes

This is what bothers me about economics. It makes pretensions of being the most rigorous of the social sciences, yet it is so intertwined with partisan politics that people refuse to recognize what is happening as long as they can spin the numbers.
Economists don't do that unless they're hacks.

Economists aren't the only people who take serious interest in economics, though. Politicians look for the numbers they want, and this effect feeds back into academia. You could be perfectly intellectually honest as an economist, but if your work is convenient to either party then you can expect to get nice funding grants to do it. This creates a certain selection effect for what gets promoted in terms of research; an effect that is not healthy for the discipline as a whole.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies