Have you ever been to Poland?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:07:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever been to Poland?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Kurwa
Yes

No

What is a poll 'and?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Have you ever been to Poland?  (Read 2196 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2017, 05:42:51 PM »

President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 05:44:28 PM »

You're pollin' for Poland, I see. Wink
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 05:48:58 PM »

No, i would like to though.

Sounds like an amazing place.

The best logo designer in the world lives in Poland. I would like to add it to the list on my next trip to Europe but my girlfriend and i will most likely end up in Croatia and Italy.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 06:17:04 PM »

Regrettably, no. Once I gain some bourgeois respectability, I hope to afford myself a tour of Eastern Europe (hopefully at that point still nominally sovereign).
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 06:22:24 PM »

No, but most of of Poland has had a go at fixing my toilet over the last two weeks
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:23:23 PM »

No, but I think I've flown over it before.  When I was living in Australia, I made two trips to Europe.  On the first one, I had a layover in Bangkok (only there a couple of hours, so no time to visit opebo), and then went Bangkok->London.  Second one had a layover in Kuala Lumpur (no North Korean assassinations while I was there), and then Kuala Lumpur->London.  I think both of those routes involve flying over Poland.  But I always go for an aisle seat, so I don't think I had a chance to look out the window to see what it looked like.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 06:29:03 PM »

No, but most of of Poland has had a go at fixing my toilet over the last two weeks

(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 06:33:39 PM »

Nope! Or does Gomel' count?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 07:24:00 PM »

I had a layover in Warsaw last year, but never got to leave the airport.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 08:17:08 PM »

Yes, I spent about two weeks in Poland in the summer of 1985. I was singing in a chorus that did a tour; five concerts.
peterthlee
China

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 09:01:32 PM »

No, but Stettin, Danzig and Breslau are all fabulous places.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 09:07:48 PM »

Yes--- spent a month out there back in '94, not too long after the transition...

I was in Poznan, Warsaw, Krakow, & Zakopane, as well as visiting the infamous Nazi extermination  camps of Auschwitz/Birkenau.

Photo below: Zakopane at Night

Poland at that time was just recovering from the Neo-Liberal economic shock therapy that had been mandated on the Country by the International economic community.

Unemployment was at unprecedented levels as a direct result, as well as the collapse of many formerly state run enterprises that were deemed economically uncompetitive because of the costs involved in modernization and lack of willingness for foreign investors (Germany in particular to invest in those sectors most suffering).

Although hyperinflation had diminished a bit, the Zloty was still a crazy currency to navigate.

Despite the economic struggles at that time, my perspective of the Polish mindset was still generally optimistic about the future, and there was widespread curiosity and interest in the United States and college students studying English and Economics, at least with the families that I was staying with.

There was also a dramatic increase in expression of more extremist policies at that time, with many working-class districts of the larger cities awash with political graffiti from Anarchist, Neo-Fascist, and Pro-Monarchist slogans and symbols.....

Corruption in the public sector was also dramatically increasing.... I was riding a street-car in Poznan and had punched in my ten minute incremental fare tickets, and was pulled off the street-car downtown by three undercover transit cops, because one of my tickets was apparently punched into the top of my strip of ten tickets, since I had limited reading skills in Polish. I ended up having to pay a 125,000 Zloty bribe "without papers", with the alternative being booked in the downtown jail!

There were also a few ugly incidents of anti-semitism, like when I was in Krakow and we went towards an historic Synagogue, and an intoxicated homeless man on the street went into a litany of curses about how the "Jews" were the reason why Poland or his circumstances were so bad (Our Polish translator was too embarrassed to tell us exactly what he had said).

My college group was also strongly advised not to drink the tapwater, but instead stick to beer or bottled water, as a result of contaminants caused by decades of neglect on environmental pollution and water supplies.

There were other bizarre or surreal moments, like walking by the McDonalds in Poznan, and seeing a massive line of people wearing formal evening dining attire, combined with a small chamber music quartet performing!

The soccer (Football) matches were interesting-   Poznan vs Warsaw..... Full lines of riot police with helmets down, riot shields up, essentially blocking in the respective soccer Hooligans from both teams to minimize and avoid personal injury to hardcore supporters of the other team.... I still have 3-4 photos of that match that show bottle rockets getting fired directly into the stadium!

Mass transportation was great, with streetcars being extremely fast and efficient to get around in, especially in a city like Warsaw which is fairly flat and on a typical Grid based Eastern European style system.

Food--- really good, especially since I was a Vegetarian at that time I loved to hit the workers cafes, likely a legacy from the previous era (?), where you basically had a buffet style line-up with large mounds of food, for an extremely affordable price, as someone on a very limited budget.

It was mushroom season in the Fall, and on our coach bus from Poznan to Krakow running down a single-lane highway each direction, I would see a ton of cars parked along the roads around the forested areas, people doing the ritual of picking their favorite varieties to take home and make some dank Mushroom based Soup.

Pulled over to a Roadside diner/ local store, there are Wild Boar heads on the wall, as well as other local wildlife, with extremely hospitable owners, although my 2nd Generation Russian-American friend did much of the translating, because of the linguistic overlaps with both Slavic languages.

Zakopane is still one of my favorite memories of Poland....

A beautiful small town of 25,000 in the far SE corner of the country....

I still have and wear the best Winter sweater I ever bought, from an older woman who was knitting her Zakopane sweaters, from her small booth on one of the two main street vendor drags in town.

This is also a region, where the Wolf population, almost exterminated at that time still existed in small packs that was able to expand from the Tartar Mountain range, in just a few short decades.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/02/wolf-maligned-predator-poland-carpathians

http://www.polishwolf.org.pl/wolf

I would strongly recommend anyone on the Forum that has never been to Poland, head out there to visit, and spend some time....

Will definitely plan a trip there myself, once my economic situation stabilizes, and it will be fascinating to see all of the similarities and differences between the country that I briefly experienced 20 years ago with the real Modern Poland, 27+ years after the fall of the Berlin Wall.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 09:09:53 PM »

sure...close enough and lovely cities. Smiley

as usual in eastern europe, the government is loco loco but at least that's a new trend there.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 09:27:09 PM »

No.  Too bougie.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 09:51:55 PM »

Nah
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 03:31:19 AM »

Unfortunately, no. I hope to some day.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 05:56:36 AM »

I have never been anywhere in Eastern Europe. It is on my to do list. However, first I need to go to Italy (i have been a few times, but my partner Dan has never been). Dan has made it very clear that that had better happen rather soon.  My stalling tactics have ceased to be effective. Sad At least I managed to shove the date off to July as opposed to May around his birthday, which would interfere with the launch of my campaign.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 08:20:53 AM »

Yes Cheesy Been to the southwest once and to Warsaw twice. Love it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 08:30:02 AM »

I'm waiting for you to come, jerks.

Franzl is the only poster I've meet so far.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 08:32:16 AM »

Bougie my ass

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 11:23:13 AM »

Yes, but not in this century.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 04:38:54 PM »

No, but it's on my list of places I'd like to visit someday.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 04:51:32 PM »

I've been to Portland , does that count? Tongue
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 11:21:44 AM »

No, not really.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 11:31:24 AM »

I have yet to into Poland, but I'm half-Polish and it is a place I would like to see someday.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies