New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:20:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials.  (Read 12663 times)
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« on: March 09, 2017, 08:41:38 PM »

If you look at the individual state polls CNN did, it doesn't line up. Trump won white males of all ages.

-Yeah. There's no way in hell HRC won with White male millennials. No way for the numbers to add up here.
Eharding

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:40:36 PM »

Does it really matter if Hillary won white male millennials or not?  If Republicans can only win white males with the biggest upcoming voting bloc, in a diversifying electorate, they are in deep sh*t.  In 10 years you cannot have Democrats winning Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Other, White Females and just rely on a massive advantage among White Males to compensate for this...  Am I missing something here?

-Yes; when was the last time Dems won White females?
Eharding

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 10:06:02 PM »

Does it really matter if Hillary won white male millennials or not?  If Republicans can only win white males with the biggest upcoming voting bloc, in a diversifying electorate, they are in deep sh*t.  In 10 years you cannot have Democrats winning Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Other, White Females and just rely on a massive advantage among White Males to compensate for this...  Am I missing something here?

-Yes; when was the last time Dems won White females?

The whole f'ing point of this thread is that Dems won this group in terms of Millennials... so when this group becomes a larger share of the total vote Republican prospects will be no bueno.

-Dems did not win this group in terms of millenials, and your second assumption has been for ages refuted by the voting patterns of those now in their early 60s (who were the strongest McGovern demographic).

The GOP does face serious threats from the growing nonwhite vote, I've never doubted this. But the Dems also face serious threats due to the growing GOP share of the non-college White vote, and the very low fertility rate of White liberals. Overall, the Dem party has had a mild disadvantage relative to fundamentals over the past decade as a result of the latter. This may or may not continue.
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 08:07:23 PM »

I don't know the demographic breakdown of Minnesota, but is a 5% margin among whites even enough for Republicans to carry the state?  I'd assume not.  Republicans need to start getting solid margins among younger white voters.  Whites in their 30's are also a fairly liberal group by today's standards.  These voters are now going to be entering the over 40 bracket...  Republicans can't break even among whites under 45 and lose minorities by massive margins and be viable going forward... there are not enough old whites to make this work.

-A 5% margin among Whites in MN (what Trump actually got) is not enough for Republicans to carry the state. But a 7% margin is.

Concentrating on age demos to predict the future is as nutty as concentrating on past state PVIs to do the same.
Eharding

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:15:31 PM »

I don't know the demographic breakdown of Minnesota, but is a 5% margin among whites even enough for Republicans to carry the state?  I'd assume not.  Republicans need to start getting solid margins among younger white voters.  Whites in their 30's are also a fairly liberal group by today's standards.  These voters are now going to be entering the over 40 bracket...  Republicans can't break even among whites under 45 and lose minorities by massive margins and be viable going forward... there are not enough old whites to make this work.

-A 5% margin among Whites in MN (what Trump actually got) is not enough for Republicans to carry the state. But a 7% margin is.

Concentrating on age demos to predict the future is as nutty as concentrating on past state PVIs to do the same.

uh no, because people don't just magically become more conservative as they age, despite the common myth.  The very oldest millenials/gen X'ers started voting Democrat in reaction to George Bush and have stayed loyal to the Democratic party nearly 20 years later.

-Likewise, Vermont became a strongly Democratic state in reaction to GWB. What else is new?

Again, concentrating on age demos to predict the future is as nutty as concentrating on past state PVIs to do the same.
Eharding

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:41:14 PM »

OK but you still have a statistically nonsensical theory in regards to the generation separation.

I mean I'm pretty close a generational cusp too, I'm a Millennial by just 1-3 years depending on your definition, so I interact a lot with the youngest Gen Xers and I don't have any serious cultural differences with them. Not to mention that they vote more like Millennials than Gen Xers in general do, for proof just look at the late 20s polls in the 2008 election or how college campuses voted in 2000. There wasn't an immediate jump from voting Republican to voting Democratic between Generation X and Millennials.

On a more serious note, pew research center shows that each generation has gotten more and more liberal starting with the silent generation onwards.

I still think that generation z is currently on the path towards being more conservative than millennials, but Trump could mess that all up.

-Same.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies