New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:19:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials.  (Read 12658 times)
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« on: March 09, 2017, 01:40:01 AM »
« edited: March 09, 2017, 01:43:29 AM by NJ is Better than TX »

Are you guys trolling with the "gen z are nazis" thing or are you serious?Huh

I'm not really trolling. I'm close enough to almost being Gen Z (born in 96')

Here's some signs:
http://hispanicheritage.org/50000-generation-z-high-school-students-identify-republican/
http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/poll-trump-dominates-with-generation-z/

Now it's entirely possible these kids are conservative because they love the Tea Party, Paul Ryan, and George W. Bush...but we all know that's not the reason why they're conservative. A decent chunk of them are just adopting their parents beliefs but the rest are into the whole alt right crowd to one extent or another. Maybe it's just the softer aspects of nationalism and right wing populism that they like, but a decent chunk are probably super racist from having spent too much time on the more racist and edgy parts of the web.

They've completely shifted the dialogue on internet comment sections. Conservatives use to just be old fuddy duddies repeating Tea Party talking points and they were in the minority. Now the majority consensus is that right wing populism is normal and standard. All other opinions that are even slightly more left wing are deemed to have come from cucks.

Lifegazette is a legit fake news site run by a Fox News anchor and that second poll had half of the kids saying "I wouldn't vote in this election" making it hard to come to a conclusion other than young kids dont know much about politics or havent formed an opinion yet.

The poll says Trump won 48% of the white vote but lost all other minorities by large margins. Only problem with that is, Generation Z is by some estimates 50% made up of minorities like blacks, Asians, Hispanics.

If the best Trump could do was 48% of the Gen Z white vote in a demographic cohort in which half the kids are minorities then the GOP is done unless some radical shift happens in how the GOP is run.

I'm a millennial and I've never met a Gen Zer who didn't seem off the charts Liberal and some of the few Gen Z Republicans I know couldnt care less about which bathroom a trans person uses or if someone is gay

Fair enough. Although my limited experiences with teenage white kids in the Orange County suburbs backs up what I've read. They're anti SJW, anti PC, like Trump (or at the very least his rhetoric) and think being edgy and telling racist jokes is cool.

The fact that this generation will be incredibly diverse is both a good and bad thing. It's good because it'll keep the generation from being too Republican, but it's bad because if this kind of rhetoric begins to heat up this generation will start voting strongly on racial/ethnic lines. Racial dialogue will become increasingly partisan with these kids.

I support this notion. Trumpsim and alt-rightism has become quite the thing with some of my white male friends from high school (and a few PoC friends even). Meanwhile of the business GOPers and fiscially conservative Dems I know most of them are actually Indian-Americans.

This is the main reason why I'm skeptical that your TL, where Dems attract the WWC by focusing on economic issues, will ever coming to pass. It can happen, but the continuing trends of party lines being defined by culture and race, not economics, suggest otherwise. This will only continue to get worse as America becomes more majority-minority and many white males perceive that their relative standing in society declines.  

The Internet, with its normalization of racial "jokes" (and by "jokes" I mean "memes that build up in cancerousness as they suck young white males into the rabbit hole of hate") and its amplification of the voices of the alt-right, has made things worse. Gone were the days when the Internet was a liberal domain. Today it is a conservative one, and a racially conservative one at that.

I fear a future where racist and xenophobic whites, even if they can't match other blocs in terms of sheer numbers, will form a dangerous and destabilizing element in our society, and that America's original sin of racism will be the force that spells the doom of the great American experiment.

I hope this doesn't happen, either by Trump sinking to GWB levels of unpopularity or a miracle politician (like your Cordary) providing an alternative message, a politician who speaks to those who would otherwise fall to the forces of the alt-right. But I'm not holding my breath.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 06:13:01 PM »

Holy.  .

That was the dumbest thing I have read in a long time.

I wish I can agree with you, but the signs I've seen are very disconcerting.

With white women, I agree with you, since Trump and social conservatism has practically 0 support from the white women I know. It's the white (and some Asian) men who tend to go alt-right.

Of course, what I said so far is anecdotal, but we've already seen plenty of surveys on this forum that show (white male) Gen-Zers being pro-Trump. I'd love it if you could show otherwise (even if only to make me less fearful of the future).
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »

Yeah, but being socially conservative or supporting Trump does not, in ANY sense of the word, make you a "Nazi."

True, but all modern-day "Nazis" in America do support Trump. It's basic set theory. Wink

Reactionaries have a good hold on segments of political discourse on the internet. I strongly believe that they are outrageously over-represented on the internet. My hypothesis for why this is is that the segment of extremist right-winger youths is small but passionate enough to have a disproportionate presence. They are also whiter and more male, groups which I find are over-represented on the internet as well. In reality, however, the majority of politically engaged youth today (13-21) are socially tolerant and non-religious, a.k.a. more or less liberal. The rest, maybe 40-50%ish of youth aren't politically engaged.

I really hope this is true. I would more than welcome surveys on this, to convince me that we aren't regressing in terms of social progress.

That said, if what you said was true, isn't it still worrying that the most vocal youth are the Neo-Nazis? I mean, if half of the youth are politically unengaged, that's a large pool of potential recruits they can fish from. And even if that half aren't politically active, there's certainly a big chunk who may harbor similar thoughts to their active right-wing counterparts.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 09:35:35 PM »

Also if you looked at Internet forums to tried and gauge how things are going to play out IRL, given the demographics around here at least, you may assume that Aliens have descended from the heavens and snatched up all the women, and American politics is poised to be dominated by gay white males for the foreseeable future.

Even if heavy Intenet users are a skewed portion of the electorate, isn't it still concerning that alt-rightism is the dominant force right now? It's not like they exist in a (total) bubble; the Internet shapes real life, and having that tool dominated by these very skilled and determined individuals will certainly affect real-life politics, even if these individuals are a minority in real life. At the very least, they'll punch above their weight in how they shape our political discourse, which includes (re)normalizing racism and bigotry.

Plus the fact that the heavy Internet user demographic is so skewed in the first place (in no small part because of how toxic it has become) is not a good thing.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:57:00 PM »

There's a good chance that Generation z begins to look a lot more like millennials once they go off to college. There's no doubt in my mind that the vast majority of the alt right online crowd is 18 and younger right now.

You just gave me hope for them. Thank you.

I can imagine these folks going off to college...

"Wait, what do you mean not all Muslims are radical extremist terrorists? They're...they're mostly dorky pre-med, engineering, and International Studies majors! I...I..." *thinks about their lives while weeping in the corner*

While I doubt the super-vocal alt-right youth will actually change their minds (they'll probably shut themselves in their frat houses, dorm rooms and College Republican meetings if anything), exposure to diversity would certainly help with the more moderate, apolitical half of Gen Z.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies