Is a non-populist major third party possible?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:25:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is a non-populist major third party possible?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is a non-populist major third party possible?  (Read 1473 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2017, 11:24:26 PM »

Ross Perot, George Wallace, Robert La Follette, Theodore Roosevelt, and James B. Weaver were all populists. Those are the most recent major third parties. They were all populists in one sense or another. Is it possible for a major third party not to be populist?
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 11:32:42 PM »

I doubt it, especially considering FPTP. Unless something seriously massive happens.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 08:25:33 AM »

Possibly Mark Cuban.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 10:33:59 AM »

If the Republicans go heavily down the nationalist route; and Democrats go heavily down either the identity politics or economic-leftist routes then why not?

FPTP never stopped the Lib Dems being the third party in the UK.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 12:10:14 PM »

Define "populist".
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 03:50:19 PM »

It's basically a catch-all term that applies to wide variety of political figures from William Jennings Bryan to Juan Peron, Adolf Hitler, Bernie Sanders, and Donald Trump.

I think it's supposed to mean any ideology that attacks the establishment and appeals to lower class people.  The people it appeals to could be farmers, miners, the urban poor, union workers, etc.  Of course, every populist movement attracts wealthy people and business interests (Silver mining companies for WJB, celebrities who supported Sanders, and the various business interests and media personalities that supported Trump).  It has more to do with a candidate's style than their policies.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 04:56:23 PM »

It's basically a catch-all term that applies to wide variety of political figures from William Jennings Bryan to Juan Peron, Adolf Hitler, Bernie Sanders, and Donald Trump.

I think it's supposed to mean any ideology that attacks the establishment and appeals to lower class people.  The people it appeals to could be farmers, miners, the urban poor, union workers, etc.  Of course, every populist movement attracts wealthy people and business interests (Silver mining companies for WJB, celebrities who supported Sanders, and the various business interests and media personalities that supported Trump).  It has more to do with a candidate's style than their policies.

In that case, wouldn't a successful third party almost have to be populist, by it's very nature?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 05:01:03 PM »

Honestly, with broad political definitions, I think it's as useful to formulate your own definition based on all of the political things you've read, experienced, etc.  To me, populism is energizing a disadvantaged or looked down upon group into "doing something about it," inevitibly trashing the "haves" in the process - whether that's the rich, the intellectual elite, the political establishment, who cares?  Hence why I find it so antithetical to conservatism, but whatever.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 12:57:55 PM »

It's hard to call John Anderson a populist.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 08:53:18 PM »

6.6% is pretty dismal for such a high ranking and intelligent man.
history nerd
Rauren Lyan
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 12:19:23 PM »

6.6% is pretty dismal for such a high ranking and intelligent man.
Unfortunately I think that might be as good as it gets... Appeals to reason and moderation just don't sell like populism does. People like King, Bloomberg, Chafee, and Walker can win outside the duopoly locally due to odd local coalitions but aren't able to create excitement like you need to run for POTUS.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 01:22:59 PM »

The best you could get would be a 50% populist, VERY personality driven campaign from a Mark Cuban or a Ross Perot type celebrity billionaire

ETA:  Maybe also if like a "centrist" very prominent former General or Admiral ran
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 03:29:47 PM »

In that case, wouldn't a successful third party almost have to be populist, by it's very nature?

I don't think so.  You could have a Gary Johnson-Lincoln Chafee-Susan Collins-Michael Bloomberg-Charlie Baker elitist soft-libertarian third party.  The "socially liberal, but fiscally conservative" people.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 03:42:08 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2017, 03:44:20 PM by Skill and Chance »

I don't think so.  You could have a Gary Johnson-Lincoln Chafee-Susan Collins-Michael Bloomberg-Charlie Baker elitist soft-libertarian third party.  The "socially liberal, but fiscally conservative" people.

I don't think they would ever control much, though.  They would just screw Democrats out of much of the Northeast.  If we're talking about a 3rd party that can actually win statewide elections anywhere, an elite-libertarian coalition simply hasn't worked.

I think the most likely 3rd party movement going forward is some kind of Mormon/Texas HFC-style coalition, particularly if Trump eventually goes FDR 1938 on the HFC and tries to primary them all out.

But again, you probably just end up screwing your favorite major party by doing this.  The HFC strikes me as anti-establishment enough to truly not care, though.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 08:16:51 PM »

A politician's job is to get votes from people, so populism is necessary.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 07:55:47 AM »

If Blooomberg ever ran, him
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length