MS-SEN: McDaniel "definitely considering" run per Breitbart interview
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:36:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MS-SEN: McDaniel "definitely considering" run per Breitbart interview
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MS-SEN: McDaniel "definitely considering" run per Breitbart interview  (Read 687 times)
gespb19
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:46:10 PM »

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/03/08/exclusive-amid-paul-ryans-obamacare-2-0-push-mississippis-chris-mcdaniel-preps-potential-2018-senate-run/

I am definitely considering another run for U.S. Senate, for precisely the reason that now is the time when Mississippi’s conservatives should be leading the nation in the fight against Obamacare. Rather than championing conservative reform in D.C., Mississippi’s federal delegation — and Roger Wicker in particular — has been silent. Mississippians are among the most conservative people in the republic. We shouldn’t have to beg our Senators to fight for us.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »

I wonder how a McDaniel vs. Hood race would turn out in a Trump midterm...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »

Unlikely case. McDaniel couldn't beat aging and more moderate Cochran, so it's not likely he will beat younger and somewhat more conservative Wicker.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »

This just got interesting.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 01:13:27 PM »

McDaniel has lost major capital since his run-in with Cochran in 2014.

I suspect he's just trying to get into the headlines here.  I think he made similar "announcements" about running for MS-GOV in 2015.

If he does run, I'd give a heavy advantage to Wicker.  Wicker is more conservative and a better campaigning than Cochran, and McDaniel hurt himself with MS voters and national conservative groups when he refused to concede in 2014.

Rjjr77
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 02:05:20 PM »

McDaniel angered too many people and burned too much political capital running against Thad, the nursing home incident was too nasty for many Mississippians, wicker would clean his clock
mencken
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 05:26:02 PM »

Given Mississippi's inelasticity, McDaniel would only win that race by 9%.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 05:30:09 PM »

Wicker would c*ckslap McDaniel.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 07:08:52 PM »

It's difficult to say how much has changed since 2012 (when gaffes far milder than many of Trump's cost Republicans victories in fairly red states; in 2014 this was less visible but you still had guys like Southerland and Terry losing) to today (when Trump is President and you have guys like Jason Lewis representing fairly moderate, suburban districts); it could be that these things are normalized only when Trump is upballot, and it could be that they are forever. This'll be an interesting question to watch out for in 2018, but I don't think Mississippi will be the place to do it, because McDaniel has no chance against Wicker, and is probably best served saving his ammo for a 2020 open seat.
Rjjr77
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 09:44:54 PM »

It's difficult to say how much has changed since 2012 (when gaffes far milder than many of Trump's cost Republicans victories in fairly red states; in 2014 this was less visible but you still had guys like Southerland and Terry losing) to today (when Trump is President and you have guys like Jason Lewis representing fairly moderate, suburban districts); it could be that these things are normalized only when Trump is upballot, and it could be that they are forever. This'll be an interesting question to watch out for in 2018, but I don't think Mississippi will be the place to do it, because McDaniel has no chance against Wicker, and is probably best served saving his ammo for a 2020 open seat.

Silly goose, thinking there will be an open seat. thad will either run again or retire before his term is over so he can have a hand in the replacement. Sen. Phil Bryant or Sen. Tate Reeves won't be surprising.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 09:55:06 PM »

Silly goose, thinking there will be an open seat. thad will either run again or retire before his term is over so he can have a hand in the replacement. Sen. Phil Bryant or Sen. Tate Reeves won't be surprising.
Reeves, or Steve Palazzo, or Gregg Harper. Bryant is a little too old to be a freshman in a state that loves (and relies on) seniority.
Rjjr77
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 10:15:42 PM »

Reeves, or Steve Palazzo, or Gregg Harper. Bryant is a little too old to be a freshman in a state that loves (and relies on) seniority.

Bryant is awful powerful, it really depends on who's governor at the time, him or Reeves.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 06:49:49 AM »

It doesn't matter because muh unhappy, liberal women will turn out against him. Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies