Schwarzenegger for Senate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:27:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Schwarzenegger for Senate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Schwarzenegger for Senate?  (Read 1544 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2017, 07:20:08 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/arnold-schwarzenegger-senate-235905

Politico speculates that he may be preparing to run as an independent against Dianne Feinstein on an anti-Trump platform. Obviously he was deeply unpopular by the end of his governorship, but I do wonder how much positive press he could generate through semi-constant Twitter battles with Trump. Enough to win against an 85-year-old incumbent? Perhaps.

The article doesn't talk about who he would caucus with if he were elected -- it would be interesting to test whether you could get away with King/Orman-style refusal-to-answer in a large state. Or do California Republicans hate Feinstein enough that Schwarzenegger might still win their votes even if he says he'll caucus with the Democrats? Admitting that he'll caucus with the GOP seems like a fatal move in California in 2018.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 07:24:05 PM »

Yes please! I doubt that he could win, but I'd vote for him, and he could definitely make the top two, which would prevent a 2016-esque situation that could damage downballot Republicans in a midterm.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 08:48:48 PM »

He was a disaster as Governor. There's no way he'd knock Feinstein out.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 09:01:08 PM »

If I were a Republican in California, I would definitely vote for him.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 09:10:03 PM »

He's probably the only CA Republican who can win statewide, but he's not exactly fondly remembered as Governor.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 09:55:36 PM »

He's probably the only CA Republican who can win statewide, but he's not exactly fondly remembered as Governor.
And he's probably not even a Republican anymore. I can't imagine him joining the GOP caucus.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 09:59:59 PM »

And he's probably not even a Republican anymore. I can't imagine him joining the GOP caucus.

He was as of a couple months ago.  I don't think he's said otherwise?  Just because he doesn't like Trump doesn't mean he's out of the party.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 10:14:06 PM »

Actually, I think that if anything he would do a little worse than Generic California R for the precise reason he's not well-remembered.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 10:50:07 PM »

I don't see how an anti-Trump platform makes any CA Dems pick him over Feinstein, an actual Democrat. You don't get to 50% in California without flipping some Dem votes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 11:09:14 PM »

He'd probably be to the left of Feinstein, lol. But yeah... safe D obviously, she'll win easily.

I can't think of an issue where they'd disagree, although perhaps he'd side with Newt Gingrich instead of Dianne Feinstein by taking the liberal side of supporting Prop. 47. Yup, you read that right.

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_47,_Reduced_Penalties_for_Some_Crimes_Initiative_(2014)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 12:01:16 AM »

He was as of a couple months ago.  I don't think he's said otherwise?  Just because he doesn't like Drumpf doesn't mean he's out of the party.
He was always way to the center of his own party. He kind of had to be, but still.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 12:03:41 AM »

I still support Michael Eisen, but Schwarzenegger would probably do a far better job of shaking things up. That would be fun to watch, but I'm not sure that would be good politically. I feel like he'd be anti-Trump, at least.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 09:35:37 AM »

Fortunantley for Schwarzenegger, most CA voters dont have total recall about his governorship

Don't be so sure, it's not the end of days for Dianne Feinstein.
Rjjr77
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 09:54:59 AM »

Fortunantley for Schwarzenegger, most CA voters dont have total recall about his governorship

Don't be so sure, it's not the end of days for Dianne Feinstein.

So you're saying it's the last stand for her?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:58:40 AM »

I have never been a fan of Arnold Schwarzenegger, despite him originally being from here.

But he has taken some sane positions on a few issues recently, such as green energy and e-cars.

If he'd renounce his position on the death penalty (which I strongly oppose, as do 55% of Californians), I could actually see him doing well as an Indy in CA's jungle primary ...
Rjjr77
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »

I have never been a fan of Arnold Schwarzenegger, despite him originally being from here.

But he has taken some sane positions on a few issues recently, such as green energy and e-cars.

If he'd renounce his position on the death penalty (which I strongly oppose, as do 55% of Californians), I could actually see him doing well as an Indy in CA's jungle primary ...
You're saying 55% of Californians oppose the death penalty?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 10:10:50 AM »

In recent polls, yeah.

But in actual referendums, support for keeping the DP then is always a bit higher because people do not make clear their real intentions and feelings about the death penalty in pre-election polls ...
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 12:44:57 PM »

He was a disaster as Governor. There's no way he'd knock Feinstein out.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 01:22:56 PM »

in fact supporting the death penalty killed his image over here in austria and led to renaming of stadiums and stuff.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 01:28:20 PM »

That's about the best possible strategy for Republicans to take a Senate seat in California, but it still isn't going to work. Maybe if it were an open seat, but Feinstein is much too entrenched.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »

If I was in California, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. Especially against Feinstein.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 01:54:05 PM »

I think I read somewhere he understands that he doesn't have a great shot at winning, but he wants to have a platform to go after Trump and a Senate campaign would give him that.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 02:06:23 PM »

He could still run as a Republican.

And if he somehow won he could pursue the McCain/Graham/Collins model of being a Republican but still frequently and harshly criticize Trump.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »

No one is going to defeat Feinstein, especially not a Republican. He could run as an independent, but he'd have to say who he would caucus with, because it is a valid question.
Rjjr77
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 08:37:27 PM »

In recent polls, yeah.

But in actual referendums, support for keeping the DP then is always a bit higher because people do not make clear their real intentions and feelings about the death penalty in pre-election polls ...
The will of the voters has been pretty clear the past three death penalty referendums. I personally oppose it, but California voters regularly don't
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies