Vx: Frustrated by liberal universities, conservatives aim to defund and destroy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:15:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Vx: Frustrated by liberal universities, conservatives aim to defund and destroy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vx: Frustrated by liberal universities, conservatives aim to defund and destroy  (Read 1996 times)
Jeffster
« on: March 11, 2017, 02:26:11 PM »

We shouldn't be using taxpayer money to pay for people to be indoctrinated by marxists for useless liberal arts degrees. We need to refocus our spending on education towards useful degrees in STEM. If someone is studying for a STEM degree they should be eligible for enough grants to make it a free ride so long as they maintain good grades and their parents income isn't too high. Next, get rid of subsidized student loans, and bring back the ability to discharge student loans through bankruptcy. That way if some idiot wants to borrow $100,000 or more to major in gender studies or some other useless degree, they have to show the lender they have the ability to pay it back, this will make it harder to get student loans.
Jeffster
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 10:21:33 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2017, 10:26:26 PM by Jeffster »

We shouldn't be using taxpayer money to pay for people to be indoctrinated by marxists for useless liberal arts degrees. We need to refocus our spending on education towards useful degrees in STEM. If someone is studying for a STEM degree they should be eligible for enough grants to make it a free ride so long as they maintain good grades and their parents income isn't too high. Next, get rid of subsidized student loans, and bring back the ability to discharge student loans through bankruptcy. That way if some idiot wants to borrow $100,000 or more to major in gender studies or some other useless degree, they have to show the lender they have the ability to pay it back, this will make it harder to get student loans.

This would be a great way to drive down the wages of STEM majors.  You'd know this if you took econ.

I've taken Economics, and that would only be true if we didn't have a shortage of STEM workers as it is, and if all the students who suddenly switched to STEM under my plan were capable of getting the good grades needed to maintain the scholarships/grants and graduating with a degree. We wouldn't need H1B visa workers if there wasn't a shortage, unless you think there is an ulterior motive for bringing in so many H1B visa workers. Also, I've tutored math while in college, working in our Math department's open lab for any students in need of help. Most of the students I dealt with were liberal arts majors, trying to pass Algebra. I doubt most liberal arts majors could handle majors that required multiple semesters involving Calculus, and/or Physics, and/or Computer Science, and/or Engineering. You even see the difficulty STEM majors have with staying in the program, as the Freshman classes are usually huge, and there is a big drop off in Sophomores and above, as the major proves too difficult for them, so they switch to something easier.
Jeffster
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 10:22:18 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2017, 10:27:40 PM by Jeffster »

If you kill funding for non-STEM Degrees then how will fake Universities like Liberty U get their cash?

I don't give a crap about religious loons and their "University."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies