Sabato: How Midterms Do (and Do Not) Differ From Presidential Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:07:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sabato: How Midterms Do (and Do Not) Differ From Presidential Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sabato: How Midterms Do (and Do Not) Differ From Presidential Elections  (Read 3474 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2017, 08:40:15 PM »

Very good look at midterm vs presidential years, and what to consider for 2018.

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/how-midterms-do-and-do-not-differ-from-presidential-elections/

Differences

You must be logged in to read this quote.

(% non-white share of electorate over time)

Similarities

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 09:12:45 PM »

And yet this site thinks 2018 will exactly mirror 2014 and 2010 for the GOP.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 10:50:22 PM »

On a personal level I think the dems will take 30-35 seats winning the house
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 10:51:48 PM »

have you looked at the Senate map.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 10:59:08 PM »

Yeah like 2-3 dems are in trouble vs 1-2 reps
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 11:01:28 PM »

Have you looked at the Governor's races?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 11:06:36 PM »

lol
Oh please Brown, Nelson, Baldwin, Manchin, Casey, and Stabenow aren't in trouble
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 11:14:47 PM »

lol
Oh please Brown, Nelson, Baldwin, Manchin, Casey, and Stabenow aren't in trouble

McCaskill and Donnelly are both in big, big trouble and almost certainly toast if the GOP nominates solid candidates in those states. Heitkamp, Tester, Manchin and Brown are all vulnerable as well. If it's a good or neutral year and Rs run strong campaigns, Nelson, Baldwin and maybe one of Stabenow, King or Casey can be beaten too. But even if that's not the case, the six seats I mentioned before are going to be tough for Democrats to hold.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 11:17:19 PM »

lol

McCaskill and Donnelly are both in big, big trouble and almost certainly toast if the GOP nominates solid candidates in those states. Heitkamp, Tester, Manchin and Brown are all vulnerable as well. If it's a good or neutral year and Rs run strong campaigns, Nelson, Baldwin and maybe one of Stabenow, King or Casey can be beaten too. But even if that's not the case, the six seats I mentioned before are going to be tough for Democrats to hold.
Totally agree. Hindsight's optimism is so annoying.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 11:20:09 PM »

Are you aware that the Senate isn't the only thing that's up for election in 2018?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 11:27:21 PM »

lol

Totally agree. Hindsight's optimism is so annoying.
McCaskill, Donnelly, and Heitkamp were the dems I listed as in trouble so point? Also no Brown, Manchin, Stabenow, Casey, and King are not in trouble unless the reps run a real strong canidate their is no reason why they should they are popular an good fits in their states. The 2-3 dems and 1-2 reps are based off of bad fits for their states. Am I'm being annoyingly optimistic? How partisan do you to think King is in trouble?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 12:23:42 AM »

in the best of best cases this would be reserve 2010 for democrats....BIG long-term wins in lower houses/gov-ships and ...cause i am realistic....dwarf the GOP majority in the House enough to make the freedom caucus into a real problem.

otherwise...like 2010...the senate map is a killer for the opposition party, even if it the Dems are playing strong.

imho everything below 5 fresh GOP seats could be seen as a good sign.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 02:24:35 AM »

this my 2018 senate prediction

http://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-election/l4wbo8

If Hillary won this is how bad it would have been for the dems:

http://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-election/8rrJB8
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 03:40:27 AM »

^Ignore. Also ending this "discussion" at this point. Feel free to believe that OH, MT, etc. are all Safe D, but don't call other others delusional for thinking they aren't. It didn't work for you guys in 2014 (when everyone who thought that Republicans would win the Senate was delusional) or in 2016 (when everyone who thought Democrats weren't going to win easily was delusional) either.

I think Democrats will pick up House seats, though. Maybe 7-12 or so. Could be more if the healthcare stuff backfires on Republicans. Gubernatorial races are impossible to predict and not as partisan as federal races. I think Democrats are favored in NM, PA, NH and IL and Republicans are favored in OH, WI, IA, MD (slightly) and MA.

@Jimmie: Yes, the MO Republican Party is very incompetent and the worst statewide Republican party in the country, so I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to lose to McCaskill in 2018. But I don't think it is guaranteed at this point and I wouldn't bet on it. There won't be another Akin in every state.

The House race is difficult to predict and will depend on individual campaigns and Trump's performance. I think it is certainly possible to win the House but 2020 looks a better shot if Dems can get Gov. races & do gerrymandering - I think that itself will decide 20-25 seats !
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 05:27:19 AM »

Have you looked at the House, Governor, and State legislature maps?)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 06:10:26 AM »

^ All are PARTIALLY correct, IMHO. Senate map is really brutal for Democrats, but House map somewhat favors them, and Governor's map is really good for them (though not as good as Senate map for Republicans). State legislative maps will, probably, be mostly determined by local issues..
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 11:32:29 AM »

^ All are PARTIALLY correct, IMHO. Senate map is really brutal for Democrats, but House map somewhat favors them, and Governor's map is really good for them (though not as good as Senate map for Republicans). State legislative maps will, probably, be mostly determined by local issues..

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/5/12712932/american-state-government-federalism

Which makes sense if you ask me. People tend to not know that much about candidates further downballot. Things get more abstract at that point, with opinions of whatever the legislature doing coming down to to whatever the majority party did, and rarely individual lawmakers. However the one thing everyone hears about on a constant basis is the president. This is even more true with Trump. He shapes the opinions of the party, and that affects all the races on the ballot.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 11:36:18 AM »

King should be on retirement watch.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2017, 02:04:38 PM by Mr. Morden »

The racial and age splits have been there for some time, but the partisan split on both education and income seems to be changing in the age of Trump, with Republicans being less rich and with lower education levels than they were pre-Trump.  I guess that alone might be useful to Dems in midterm elections, since higher income and better educated people are more reliable voters.

I think it is certainly possible to win the House but 2020 looks a better shot if Dems can get Gov. races & do gerrymandering - I think that itself will decide 20-25 seats !

But redistricting wouldn't happen until 2021/22, after the 2020 census.  So I don't see how it's going to move seats in the 2020 elections.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 01:36:19 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2017, 01:38:07 PM by Da-Jon »

I am expecting a Democratic wave to build and Dems gain the House and Govs mansions.  The GOP is favored in the Senate, and 2020 is our shot.  But, who knows with Trump, anything can happen.

In 2020, Susan Collins should run for Gov or retire, because along with Joni Ernst, Tillis, and Gardner, in purple states, Dems will have a good nominee and hopefully its Julian Castro or Tulsi Gabbard.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 01:57:55 PM »

I am expecting a Democratic wave to build and Dems gain the House and Govs mansions.  The GOP is favored in the Senate, and 2020 is our shot.  But, who knows with Trump, anything can happen.

In 2020, Susan Collins should run for Gov or retire, because along with Joni Ernst, Tillis, and Gardner, in purple states, Dems will have a good nominee and hopefully its Julian Castro or Tulsi Gabbard.

Nah. Collins is an institution in Maine. Maine, like West Virginia, is more politically complicated than it appears.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »

I would rate MT, CO, NC, Iowa and GA as possible pickups for the Dems in 2020.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 03:31:16 AM »

I would rate MT, CO, NC, Iowa and GA as possible pickups for the Dems in 2020.

I'd add AK and a long-shot in WV.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 09:13:28 AM »

Nah. Collins is an institution in Maine. Maine, like West Virginia Montana, is more politically complicated than it appears.

ftfy Wink

Yeah, Collins won't go away, unfortunately. If she were to retire, I'd rate it a Tossup and not Lean D, though.

Heh, you might be right but I don't actually think Montana is that much more complicated than it appears. I think Montana's political shades of grey are relatively well-understood, if only because of how close Obama made it on 2008. Montana is a small, rural, somewhat populist, somewhat conservative state, and that lends itself to retail politicians breaking partisan headwinds. Like the Dakotas but with a better D bench and no oil.

I don't think the political complexities of West Virginia are as well understood, by contrast.

As for Maine's class 2 senate seat should Collins retire, I understand your calling it a tossup but I'd call it tilt D. IRV helps Ds and D-caucusing Independents and the GOP bench isnt that strong after LePaige. But it sure as hell wouldn't be Likely or Safe D or even Lean.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »

Huh
The next two gubernatorial elections in Maine will be 2018 and 2022.
Did you mean to say that you hope Castro or Gabbard will run for the Senate seats currently held by Collins, Ernst, Tillis, and Gardner?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies