District Court, Splitting 2-1, Finds Texas Congressional Districts Violate VRA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:38:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  District Court, Splitting 2-1, Finds Texas Congressional Districts Violate VRA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: District Court, Splitting 2-1, Finds Texas Congressional Districts Violate VRA  (Read 7782 times)
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« on: March 11, 2017, 01:53:46 PM »

Anyone have an idea as to how the new maps may look like?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 07:59:53 PM »

Could someone who's knowledgeable about this explain why CD's 15, 28, and 34 are drawn as three long north-south strips rather than three compact districts?
I think it's because if they were more compact, there would only be two Hispanic seats in the Valley, and the third would be a predominantly White, rural, Republican district.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 09:55:02 PM »

Anyone have an idea as to how the new maps may look like?
Likely a total redraw of the southern part of the state, Fourth valley district would be likely.  Austin would likely also have a seat entirely in Travis county as well.  It might take out 2 or 3 republicans, depending on what they do in San Antonio. 

Maybe some rearanging of the 11 and 23.
If there's a fourth valley seat, I assume this means Farenthold's seat is dismantled, and then 15, 27, 28, and 34 are all long, tall "fajita strips"?
Yes, an Austin-anchored White district is probably going to happen. A blessing in disguise for the GOP, you can only crack it into so many pieces, and many rich, white Austin suburbanites who voted against Obama twice can't stand Trump.
With Doggett's current seat being dismantled in favor of an Austin-anchored one, I suppose this would mean a second Hispanic mostly-San Antonio seat?
Lastly, not quite sure what becomes of 23 and 11 if San Antonio. Playing around with DRA, it's hard to have 4 valley strips, 2 San Antonio seats, AND a D-leaning TX-23, but then again the numbers used are pretty old.
As for TX-26 being mentioned (I think), are they mandating a third DFW-area VRA seat, too?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies