Will any Democratic candidates convert to Islam to get a boost?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:04:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Will any Democratic candidates convert to Islam to get a boost?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will any Democratic candidates convert to Islam to get a boost?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Will any Democratic candidates convert to Islam to get a boost?  (Read 1756 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2017, 12:31:10 AM »

As we've learned from someone, being a Muslim is a huge bonus in a Democratic primary:

This thread is stupid but she could absolutely be a serious candidate for president. Not in 2020 but maybe in 2024 after she actually wins an office. Being a Muslim is like +20 bonus points in a Democratic primary. The problem is though there aren't a lot of Muslim politicians, as there just aren't a lot of Muslims, and most of the ones we do have are too fresh off the boat to be taken seriously as politicians. As soon as someone comes along who is Muslim, can speak good English, and hasn't said anything more than vaguely pro-terrorism, the Democrats will beg them to run for president.

So might any candidates try to take advantage of this by converting to Islam? Like by this logic, if say Cory Booker became a Muslim, he'd basically lock the nomination up. 20 bonus points would be hard to top.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 12:35:17 AM »

This question is dumber than the guy who gave the wrong envelope at the Oscars.
mencken
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 01:02:39 AM »

How ridiculous to think that politicians would claim to "evolve" on a fairly clear-cut ideological issue for political expedience. Roll Eyes
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 06:25:27 AM »

How ridiculous to think that politicians would claim to "evolve" on a fairly clear-cut ideological issue for political expedience. Roll Eyes

Wow a post just as stupid as the one quoted in the OP!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 07:41:12 AM »

Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 09:14:20 AM »

https://youtu.be/9HpP47v1BV8
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »

I'm not the one who determined being a Muslim is worth 20 points in a Dem primary.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »

Nah. They're already all Muslins.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 01:21:46 PM »

Maybe, but it'd have to be radical Islam, and they'd also have to somehow simultaneously be a radical feminist, PC SJW, and propose doing away with the concept of US borders, not to mention free everything for anyone who's not a white man, and behavioral therapy for all white men, to ensure that they become good little cucks who know they're unworthy. Then they'll wrap up the Democratic nomination in no time.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 03:17:42 PM »

Even if it was to help them in a Democratic primary, in the general election being a Muslim would most likely hurt them among evangelical Christians and other demographics who wouldn't be fond of having a Muslim president. I could easily see Trump winning 75 or 80% of the vote in states like West Virginia.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 03:22:04 PM »

Even if it was to help them in a Democratic primary, in the general election being a Muslim would most likely hurt them among evangelical Christians and other demographics who wouldn't be fond of having a Muslim president. I could easily see Trump winning 75 or 80% of the vote in states like West Virginia.

They could convert to Islam for the primaries, then flip-flop back to Christianity for the general election.  Maybe that's too big a shift to be believable though.  How about some kind of moderate hero stance on Jesus's divinity?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 09:03:44 PM »

How about some kind of moderate hero stance on Jesus's divinity?

I don't think we're ready for an Arian president.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 02:46:02 AM »

Well, we've had multiple Unitarian presidents, who did not believe in the divinity of Christ but adhered to Christian theology otherwise. For many years, Unitarianism was the denomination of choice for Boston Brahmins.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 03:19:22 AM »

Thing is, he's not wrong. I think that a Muslim Democratic primary candidate for Congress in San Francisco, Portland or Seattle would be a lock in a divided field at this point as long as they were reasonably articulate.

This clearly does not apply at the national level but, where the stakes are lower and every Democratic primary voter is "liberal" in a more traditional sense, having more visibility as a "POC" or as a Muslim is clearly an advantage.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 03:26:48 AM »

Only after suddenly becoming gay.

Thing is, he's not wrong. I think that a Muslim Democratic primary candidate for Congress in San Francisco, Portland or Seattle would be a lock in a divided field at this point as long as they were reasonably articulate.

This clearly does not apply at the national level but, where the stakes are lower and every Democratic primary voter is "liberal" in a more traditional sense, having more visibility as a "POC" or as a Muslim is clearly an advantage.

That's actually an interesting point.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 12:47:10 PM »

Well, we've had multiple Unitarian presidents, who did not believe in the divinity of Christ but adhered to Christian theology otherwise. For many years, Unitarianism was the denomination of choice for Boston Brahmins.

I was joking. Unitarianism isn't a moderate hero stance.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 11:11:17 PM »

lol this thread
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 11:45:30 PM »

I know it was more than ten years ago now, but Keith Ellison being a Muslim definitely did not boost him. It's probably what kept him under 50% in the primary that he should've run away with (weak opponents and the convention endorsement that gave him access to DFL internal data), and meant that he won the general with a measley 55% with an Independence Party candidate pulling over 20%. Granted his baggage at the time went way beyond simply being a Muslim and everyone quit caring about it once he took office and it became clear he was nothing like that anymore, but it's really tough to argue that anyone specifically voted for him BECAUSE of that and that he got any boost due to that than if he had simply been Generic Black Guy Democratic State Rep.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 12:47:16 AM »

Keith Ellison is not representative of Muslims in general.

When I talk about being Muslim being an advantage in a Democratic primary, I'm talking about being the child of immigrants from a Muslim country.

Keith Ellison is a class unto himself, he's an African American who converted to the Nation of Islam and then regular Sunni Islam when he wanted a job in serious politics.

In general, I do not think being a Black convert to Islam is an electoral advantage, given that most Black converts are into weird racial pseudoscience and/or long time convicts.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 12:58:06 AM »

Obviously Islamophobes like Alan Dershowitz helped defeat Keith Ellison for DNC chair.
shirazsun
Iran, Islamic Republic of

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 10:20:30 AM »

i agree that This question is dumber than the guy who gave the wrong envelope at the Oscars.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies